Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Innovation + Duplicate  (Read 813 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Innovation + Duplicate
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:15:54 pm »
+2

I was playing Dominion online and I had the Innovation project.  I bought Duplicate, and played it immediately to put it on the Reserve mat.  Then the server gave me the option of using the Duplicate to Duplicate itself

Is that supposed to happen that way?  It doesn't seem like it should be possible to use a Duplicate to Duplicate itself, since that Duplicate was not on the Reserve mat at the time I gained it
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation + Duplicate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:48:23 am »
+4

Yes, this is correct.

Whenever you have the option to respond multiple ways to the same event (you gained a card), you can choose the order in which you respond to those things. Until you are done responding to those things, you can continue to choose to do things to respond to it, even if that thing only became an option as a result of an earlier response.

A simpler example that's given in the Intrigue Rulebook is the case of Moat and Diplomat (previously Moat and Secret Chamber). When someone plays an attack; you can reveal Diplomat to draw 2 cards and then discard 3. If one of the 2 cards you drew was a Moat, and you didn't discard it, you can then reveal the Moat to protect yourself from the attack. Even though the Moat wasn't in your hand when the attack was first played.

Basically, Dominion doesn't differentiate timing between "the moment an event happened" and "the time window you have to respond to the event happening". As long as it is still within the time window, you can continue to respond.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.