Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rose Windows Project - Input Welcome  (Read 1890 times)

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Rose Windows Project - Input Welcome
« on: January 17, 2020, 11:40:36 am »
+2

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Windows Project - Input Welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:00:46 pm »
+1

This is a really cool project in theory, but I don't think it would work in practice.

First, it's really game-dependent. It's probably either too powerful or not powerful enough.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it would slow down the game a lot and create tons of analysis paralysis.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:25:29 pm »
+2

This is a really cool project in theory, but I don't think it would work in practice.

First, it's really game-dependent. It's probably either too powerful or not powerful enough.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it would slow down the game a lot and create tons of analysis paralysis.
Hardly more than Donate. Both landscape cards make the game more deterministic and imply more precise planning.
And this is precisely the cool thing about this. I have no idea about the powerlevel and would also test it at $6, $7 and 8D.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 12:46:10 pm »
+1

The analysis paralysis is interesting.  Especially in close games at the end.  Perhaps add: "You have one minute to order your deck however you like."

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »
+1

Hardly more than Donate. Both landscape cards make the game more deterministic and imply more precise planning.
And this is precisely the cool thing about this. I have no idea about the powerlevel and would also test it at $6, $7 and 8D.

Hm, good point about Donate. I still think there would be a time issue, though. This project basically gives you the ability to plan out all of your turns in advance every time you shuffle, and that would take a while.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 03:36:42 am »

Hm, good point about Donate. I still think there would be a time issue, though. This project basically gives you the ability to plan out all of your turns in advance every time you shuffle, and that would take a while.

Plus, this project would be activated every time you shuffle, which can be pretty frequent (especially if you've got a strong engine), which is a lot more times than one would normally buy Donate
They/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 03:46:13 am »

I disagree.

Arranging engine pieces isn't that difficult. Even if there are discard Attacks, you can easily plan for it. Chariot Race requires more precision, such that you have an expensive card always on top during your turns.
Donate on the other hand usually requires you to plan out several turns very precisely. Depending on the Kingdom, the game can be decided based on how well you evaluated it and planned everything.

Arranging your Villages and Smithies correctly seems trivial and less time consuming in comparison.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
+4

I disagree.

Arranging engine pieces isn't that difficult. Even if there are discard Attacks, you can easily plan for it. Chariot Race requires more precision, such that you have an expensive card always on top during your turns.
Donate on the other hand usually requires you to plan out several turns very precisely. Depending on the Kingdom, the game can be decided based on how well you evaluated it and planned everything.

Arranging your Villages and Smithies correctly seems trivial and less time consuming in comparison.

I think you give the average player too much credit. Even if a choice is mostly meaningless (should the bottom card of my deck be a Silver or a Province?) a lot of players are going to spend time on that decision.

A simpler version that could help a lot with this issue, while still accomplishing the same thing, would be to allow the player to pick 5 cards to go on top of their deck when they shuffle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »

I disagree.

I think you give the average player too much credit. Even if a choice is mostly meaningless (should the bottom card of my deck be a Silver or a Province?) a lot of players are going to spend time on that decision.

A simpler version that could help a lot with this issue, while still accomplishing the same thing, would be to allow the player to pick 5 cards to go on top of their deck when they shuffle.

I like that idea.  Suggestions for price point?  Seems like $4-$6 to me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:13:09 pm by Saul Goodman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:13:15 pm »
+2

I disagree.

I like that idea.  Suggestions for price point?  Seems like $5 or probably $6 to me.

I mean, Star Chart costs $3 and it's really good for that price point.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.