Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gaining Spirits, Bats, and Non-supply cards  (Read 1044 times)

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Gaining Spirits, Bats, and Non-supply cards
« on: January 13, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »

With regard to non-supply cards:

Is there any condition under which they can be gained outside of specific verbiage on particular cards?  For instance, is there any other way you can gain a Bat besides exchanging via Vampire? 

Same with Spirits . . .

. . . and specifically with regard to Spirits and Hexes, if I get the Hex that makes me trash, say, my Ghost, but lets me replace it with a cheaper card that "shares a type with it," can I then gain an Imp (if Imp were also a Night card).

And to come full circle . . . If I am made to trash a Ghost (night, not in supply) via that same Hex, couldn't I then gain a Bat (also a not-in-supply Night)?

TIA for your help!

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Gaining Spirits, Bats, and Non-supply cards
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:33:00 pm »
+2

Any time anything says "gain" without any other qualifiers, the card you gain must be from the supply. So the Ghost trash will not allow you to gain a Bat or an Imp, even though they do share types.

And they cannot be gained (from their piles) outside the specific verbiage on particular cards. (So unless it says "gain a Ghost" or "gain a Spirit" on the card itself, you can't gain a Ghost).

The only way they can be gained without this is something that lets you gain from somewhere that isn't their pile. So if you have to trash a Ghost, you can gain it back with e.g. Graverobber.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:35:49 pm »

You can gain Spirits from the trash with Graverobber, Rogue, and Lurker. But you can't gain them from their piles unless something specifically tells you to. Think about it this way, there's no rule that specifically says Bat or Madman or Prizes are "in the game", so if you were able to gain them from a Hex when their respective cards were in the kingdom, there's nothing stopping you from gaining them when those cards attend in the kingdom.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:24:16 pm »
+1

Is there any condition under which they can be gained outside of specific verbiage on particular cards?  For instance, is there any other way you can gain a Bat besides exchanging via Vampire? 

Same with Spirits . . .
As noted above, by default you can only gain from the Supply, those cards aren't in the Supply, and so e.g. Workshop can't gain them. There are a few ways to gain cards from other places, e.g. Lurker, and those can gain non-supply cards that are in the appropriate place. And Masquerade can pass a Bat just fine.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:26:29 pm »

Very helpful, everyone!!  Thank you!!6
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.