Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help to check logic re: Lantern and Inheritance  (Read 1318 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Help to check logic re: Lantern and Inheritance
« on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:32 pm »
+1

I wonder of someone could check if my conclusions are correct in these sections from my rules document? It's easy to miss stuff with all this complicated stuff.

ENTRY: BORDER GUARD

* 2019-errata Lantern: The new version of Lantern triggers when you play any Border Guard instead of changing just your Border Guards. The differences are detailed below.

* Clarification: With the 2019-errata version of Inheritance, if you have your Estate token on a Border Guard and play an Inherited Estate...
    (pre-2019 errata Lantern) ...the set-aside Border Guard is yours, so it will be changed by Lantern.
    (2019 errata Lantern) ...you play the set-aside Border Guard, so Lantern will trigger.

* Clarification: If you somehow play a Border Guard that is in the trash or in the Supply (see PLAY A CARD WHILE LEAVING IT)...
    (pre-2019 errata Lantern) ...it will not be changed by Lantern, since only your Border Guards are changed by Lantern.
    (2019 errata Lantern) ...Lantern will trigger.

ENTRY: YOUR ESTATE TOKEN -- PRE-2019-ERRATA VERSION

* With Border Guard and Lantern (pre-2019-errata version): If you have Lantern, your Border Guards’ play ability is changed. This means that Inherited Estates will be changed: If you have your Estate token on a Border Guard, that card will be changed by Lantern, and your Estates will have the ability of that card. (On the other hand, Horn only triggers when you discard a Border Guard, not an Estate.)

* With Border Guard and Lantern (2019-errata version): If you have your Estate token on a Border Guard, Lantern will not matter when you play an Inherited Estate, since Lantern only triggers when you play a Border Guard, not an Estate.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Help to check logic re: Lantern and Inheritance
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »
+1

They all look correct to me.

OTOH, do you really think players will mix pre- and post- 2019 errata versions of different cards?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 03:09:22 pm »
+1

Oh, so that's how the two phrasings differ!  I'd been wracking my brain trying to figure out how the new wording actually made a difference.  Thanks!
They/them

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:36 pm »
+1

They all look correct to me.

OTOH, do you really think players will mix pre- and post- 2019 errata versions of different cards?
It will happen for some people who just play what they open, once errata versions are in print. Of course people looking at the document are more likely to play by errata.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »

What Donald said.

People looking at the document will most probably just play with the new Lantern in any case. But if they have old Inheritance (or BoM or Overlord), it's a bit harder to play with the new version since the wordings are so different.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:16:21 am »

What Donald said.

People looking at the document will most probably just play with the new Lantern in any case. But if they have old Inheritance (or BoM or Overlord), it's a bit harder to play with the new version since the wordings are so different.

Yeah I think it's quite likely that players will have old Band of Misfits, and which version of BoM you use determines whether or not it's affected by Horn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 21 queries.