Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Empires Format  (Read 2611 times)

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Dominion: Empires Format
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:47:12 pm »

So I know that Empires was the first set released under the Second Edition format, but it seems like certain cards, for example Gladiator, don’t have the same large text as other cards, even though it looks like it could very easily have larger text. Also, comparing the vanilla parts of Settlers to other such cards shows that the bold text is a lot larger than bold text on other cards with Vanilla bonuses. Is this an inconsistency with other Second Edition designs, or did I just get an early print that happened to be different?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Empires Format
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:38:01 am »
+1

So I know that Empires was the first set released under the Second Edition format, but it seems like certain cards, for example Gladiator, don’t have the same large text as other cards, even though it looks like it could very easily have larger text. Also, comparing the vanilla parts of Settlers to other such cards shows that the bold text is a lot larger than bold text on other cards with Vanilla bonuses. Is this an inconsistency with other Second Edition designs, or did I just get an early print that happened to be different?
Empires does have layout errors and inconsistencies. For 2E, Matthias went through and redid the layout on everything, with me endlessly finding things to fix, and there are still lots of errors.

Jay has undertaken the project of fixing these errors personally. So far the only sets addressed are Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity. I expect others will happen as they get reprinted. And Jay did the layout for Menagerie.

TMDaines

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:30 am »

Just so I understand, do Intrigue, Seaside and Prosperity have three printed versions then? 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, and a 2nd Edition (Revised). Do you have any visual examples of a card that has changed across all three?

I know Treasury in the Seaside 2nd Edition was misprinted with its horizontal dividing line missing and that has now been fixed, but were there several other cards too?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:30:04 pm »

Just so I understand, do Intrigue, Seaside and Prosperity have three printed versions then? 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, and a 2nd Edition (Revised). Do you have any visual examples of a card that has changed across all three?

I know Treasury in the Seaside 2nd Edition was misprinted with its horizontal dividing line missing and that has now been fixed, but were there several other cards too?
It's just whatever minor fixes, mostly to layout. I don't have scans. But for example, http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/File:Pearl_Diver.jpg has a black horizontal line under the top banner. That wasn't supposed to be there. For later printings that's fixed.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:21:42 pm »

base set also has at least three revision versons - 1e, 2e, and 2e with a thicker trash mat. the box changed a little bit (where the 2-4 players/ 30-45 minutes icons are) between 2e and 2e' also.

i only know this bc i bought a second 2e base set to use for card stock for fan cards
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:48:04 am by spineflu »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 12:25:47 am »
+2

A thicker Trash mat you say? I wonder if I can buy one directly from RGG.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 10:16:17 am »

Have you ever tweaked the card texts in Empires? Rocks doesn't exactly follow the new model of "gain onto your deck" for instance.

For that matter, have you ever tweaked the card texts in any of the other sets after the "second editions"?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 03:38:39 pm »
+2

Have you ever tweaked the card texts in Empires? Rocks doesn't exactly follow the new model of "gain onto your deck" for instance.
It hasn't happened, but it's something I'll look at when updating Overlord. I know Opulent Castle wants to say "revealed."

For that matter, have you ever tweaked the card texts in any of the other sets after the "second editions"?
We redid the layout on Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity. There were a lot of things to fix, but I don't remember offhand if any card texts changed; possibly not. [This was in advance of that batch of errata, so no change to Embargo.]

We're doing Dark Ages now. There are no surprises; aside from the errata, I dropped e.g. "from the Spoils pile."

Any change that isn't that errata is extremely likely to be either "keep you honest" like Opulent Castle or non-functional like no "from the Spoils pile." But if there's a confusing wording somewhere it might change.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 03:49:01 pm »

Thanks. It would be great it you could somehow inform me/us when you change card texts, especially functional changes (like keeping you honest). Everything that follows from the recent errata or rules changes, like "from the Spoils pile", wouldn't be necessary, but if there's something else.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:22:44 pm by Jeebus »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.