Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Menagerie  (Read 87085 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Menagerie
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2020, 11:50:13 pm »
+1

Honestly, I don't feel a particular rush to get this one - I live alone, so who am I going to be playing a physical copy with?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2020, 10:35:51 am »

Yeah I'm probably going to be getting this set when my favorite game store opens back up, but who knows when that will be.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:50 am »

I can't wait to play it with my family. I hope it arrives soon.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2020, 12:21:10 pm »

Honestly, I don't feel a particular rush to get this one - I live alone, so who am I going to be playing a physical copy with?
I preordered mine long, long ago, in the pre-Covid times, but I'm in the same situation.  My local store is still up and running online and delivering games, so I'm guessing once it gets in, they'll ship it out to me, but it's gonna be a while before I can actually play it
They/them

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2020, 11:59:53 am »
+2

Received my copy today. Release the sleeves!
-The Compulsive Completist

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2020, 10:04:33 pm »

Got my Menagerie today. Did anyone else get 2 copies of the exile mats?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:55 am »

I got just one set. 

But it sounds like their is go8ng to be someone out there without one.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2020, 07:52:54 am »
+2

Time for a fan variant with two Exile mats per player: when Exiling a card, you can Exile to either mat. Want to be able to have only half your Exiled Gold return to your deck? Plan ahead and put half of it on the other mat. (-8

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2020, 11:00:59 am »
+4

Sounds like you find the golden exile mat and a free trip to the Dominion factory!
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2020, 12:30:42 pm »
+1

“You get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!"

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2020, 02:17:35 pm »

Time for a fan variant with two Exile mats per player: when Exiling a card, you can Exile to either mat. Want to be able to have only half your Exiled Gold return to your deck? Plan ahead and put half of it on the other mat. (-8

Gatekeeper Exiles cards as long as neither Exile mat has a copy
They/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:01 am »

If you play mastermind1 on turn1...

then on turn2, use mastermind1 it to play mastermind2 thrice...

then on turn3, use mastermind2 to play mastermind3 thrice...

... is mastermind1 supposed to stay out until turn 4?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2020, 01:47:09 pm »
+2

Yes. If we replace mastermind1 with a Throne Room, the Throne Room also stays out; Throne-type cards played on Durations stay out as long as the Duration. Similarly a Throned Archive keeps the Throne out until the Archive is used up, and a Throned Hireling keeps the Throne out forever.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2020, 05:29:16 pm »

Yes. If we replace mastermind1 with a Throne Room, the Throne Room also stays out; Throne-type cards played on Durations stay out as long as the Duration. Similarly a Throned Archive keeps the Throne out until the Archive is used up, and a Throned Hireling keeps the Throne out forever.

I know a throneroom variant stays out with the duration it's been played for, but in this case, mastermind1 wasn't played on mastermind3.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:16 pm »
+2

I know a throneroom variant stays out with the duration it's been played for, but in this case, mastermind1 wasn't played on mastermind3.

True, but it played mastermind2 which is still out (because it, in turn, played mastermind3). Since mastermind2 is still out, mastermind1 stays out.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:55 pm »

True, but it played mastermind2 which is still out (because it, in turn, played mastermind3). Since mastermind2 is still out, mastermind1 stays out.

Is it possible to have a Masterminded Mastermind to start every turn indefinitely in every kingdom in which Mastermind appears? I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around it.

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »

Is it possible to have a Masterminded Mastermind to start every turn indefinitely in every kingdom in which Mastermind appears? I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around it.

Yes, you can have 3 free Mastermind triggers every turn with 5 Masterminds in your deck.

Setup turn 1: Play Mastermind
Setup turn 2: Mastermind a Mastermind, play Mastermind
Every following turn: use your Masterminded Mastermind on three non-Duration actions. Use your lone Mastermind on a Mastermind. Play Mastermind.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2020, 10:54:08 pm »

The card that most annoyed me in Nocturne is Werewolf, it's on my ban list. Spamming hexes is dull.  I was also annoyed by Shepherd, just never enjoyed thinking about the ways it alters the game, so it too is on my ban list.

Renaissance's Inventor gets the boot with its bonkers pileouts, more so than Bridge due to being less predictable.

The card that most annoys me in Menagerie so far is Mastermind, because of how much it depends on what you draw at the start of next turn, and you so have to think a fair deal about topdeck-management strategies--certainly a valid way to play, just time consuming.

I think I may end up adding Mastermind to my ban list. It's not that it's a bad card, I just don't find the extra conscious topdeck management it adds to gameplay an enjoyable thing to spend brain cycles on, whereas everything else in the set is enjoyable. It's definitely an appropriately-named card.

I'm a simple man. I like simple cards like Fisherman -- which despite the dismissive cold shoulders it's got, is an improved Peddler IMO; less game-warping.
My opponent has more loot than me

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2020, 03:28:58 am »
+2

That's funny because mastermind is one of my favorite cards and fisherman my least favorite out of menagerie. I found it impressive how much making KC into a duration has done. It feels much more interesting than KC, in part because the stay-out rules make it worse to use it on itself.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2020, 06:14:28 pm »

The worse to use on itself aspect is a thing I like about it, compared to KC. But everything else about how it plays I like much less.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2020, 12:41:21 am »

Really?  I think Inventor is my favorite card from Renaissance.  I love bonkers pileouts!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2020, 03:09:44 am »

It’s a whole lot of specific analysis that doesn’t apply to other games, and that you have to think about when Inventor is there.

I just like normal cards, not bonkers cards — nor cards that are very specific in ways that require a lot of analysis in ways that overly peculiar to them and don’t transfer well to other cards.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2020, 08:31:37 am »
+1

It’s a whole lot of specific analysis that doesn’t apply to other games, and that you have to think about when Inventor is there.

I just like normal cards, not bonkers cards — nor cards that are very specific in ways that require a lot of analysis in ways that overly peculiar to them and don’t transfer well to other cards.

That's fair. I think that is exactly what a lot of other people (myself included) enjoy about them, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. It's not for everyone.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2020, 03:58:29 pm »

For what it's worth, I got my copy off Amazon on Sunday after ordering Friday. So those who wait until it's in stock on Amazon: hey, it is!

Also, they put the divider label thingy in the manual to protect it this time. A nice touch.

Cards seem fine.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2020, 11:44:11 pm »

It’s also in stock at Miniature Market
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.