Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Menagerie  (Read 87078 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Menagerie
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2020, 10:47:05 pm »
+3

I hope there's a card called Early Bird that allows you to gain a non-supply card called Worm
They/them

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2020, 03:32:23 am »
+3

All I’m saying is the pig had a more active roll than the horse in harbinger.

Empty draw pile should be represented by a dead horse card.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2020, 12:59:23 pm »
+1

The game comes to a stand still when you play Possum.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2020, 11:04:20 pm »
+9

Hoping for a Wolf card that eats your Goat if you leave the two together, and likewise a Cabbage card that your Goat eats.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2020, 11:52:07 pm »
+3

Hoping for a Wolf card that eats your Goat if you leave the two together, and likewise a Cabbage card that your Goat eats.

There has to be some kind of Traveler and mat sequence for this.  And some kind of absurd payoff.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2020, 01:42:54 am »

“just as useless for sewing as you’d been warned”  ;D

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2020, 02:12:34 am »
+3

Lions, split pile. You gotta buy 5x Lions before you reach the 5x Christians. Play a Lion when you already have a Christian in play, +3 cards, trash any number of cards, +1VP per $1 cost of the cards you trashed.

No one could object to a card like that, right?

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2020, 07:17:56 am »
+1

Lions, split pile. You gotta buy 5x Lions before you reach the 5x Christians. Play a Lion when you already have a Christian in play, +3 cards, trash any number of cards, +1VP per $1 cost of the cards you trashed.

Is that a Daniel in the lion's den reference?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
+3

Is that a Daniel in the lion's den reference?

I thought it was a reference to Nero, who would put Christians clothed in meat into a gladiator pit with a pack of wild animals who would then essentially eat that person alive.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:54 am »
+7

36 days until projected release date!

(I always like using square numbers as my markings for time -- as we get closer to the date, they come more frequently)
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2020, 11:06:17 am »

(I always like using square numbers as my markings for time -- as we get closer to the date, they come more frequently)
As is tradition, 36 days for me to figure out storage for this next set.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:23 am »

You figure it out in advance? That's probably smart. I just keep it in the original box until I can figure something out, which I inevitably don't get around to until months later. At least this time I managed to get around to Rennaissance storage a decent amount of time before the new one came out -- I think I didn't get around to Nocturne storage until about a week before Rennaissance.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Tozar

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tozar
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2020, 12:41:57 pm »

You figure it out in advance? That's probably smart. I just keep it in the original box until I can figure something out, which I inevitably don't get around to until months later. At least this time I managed to get around to Rennaissance storage a decent amount of time before the new one came out -- I think I didn't get around to Nocturne storage until about a week before Rennaissance.

Alas, I still have Renaissance in the original box.  :(

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2020, 04:57:36 pm »
+18

With printing started, we continue to expect the expansion within a day or two of March 18.

Previews will be the first week of March.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2020, 10:28:10 am »

from a sleeving-planning perspective, the Events are included in that 400 cards? (or, Card-like things are included in the 400 cards?)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:08:10 am by spineflu »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2020, 03:40:58 pm »
+4

from a sleeving-planning perspective, the Events are included in that 400 cards? (or, Card-like things are included in the 400 cards?)
There are 400 cards, no more no less, and all of them are the usual size. There aren't any you would pass on sleeving.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2020, 11:08:17 pm »
+1

You mean you guys don't just keep them all in the original box and pray that you have enough space on the dominion shelf for the next one?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:07 am »
+1

You mean you guys don't just keep them all in the original box and pray that you have enough space on the dominion shelf for the next one?

I guess it's partly for storage, but it's mostly for ease of setup. I'd rather have only two or three boxes out than bring out 12 different boxes because every card/event/landmark/project my randomizer picked is from a different expansion (realistically, that doesn't happen, but I just ran the randomizer program I use a few times and didn't get a single kingdom which used fewer than 6 separate expansions).

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2020, 04:28:19 am »
+2

There are 400 cards, no more no less, and all of them are the usual size. There aren't any you would pass on sleeving.

As we already know that there are 30 kingdoms, it should be safe to assume that there are at least 30 cards that won't need sleeves for those of us that use a randomizer app (or any other method that won't include shuffling 366 cards).
As I never expect to have more than 4 players, I also leave out the cards that are extra for 5-6 players (i.e. 20 Curses, 4 of each Ruin, 2 Goats, etc.). Including the extra set of base cards from first edition Intrigue, that's almost 14% of the cards that I've left out and therefore haven't sleeved.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »
+1

Unless this is a subtle hint that Menagerie includes a non-randomising use for the randomisers?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2020, 01:17:14 pm »
+1

As I never expect to have more than 4 players, I also leave out the cards that are extra for 5-6 players (i.e. 20 Curses, 4 of each Ruin, 2 Goats, etc.).
Actually, if you want to play according to the official rules you need all 50 Ruins. You shuffle them all, then count out how many you need for the game.

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2020, 02:03:12 pm »
+1

As I never expect to have more than 4 players, I also leave out the cards that are extra for 5-6 players (i.e. 20 Curses, 4 of each Ruin, 2 Goats, etc.).
Actually, if you want to play according to the official rules you need all 50 Ruins. You shuffle them all, then count out how many you need for the game.

True, using just 30 Ruins instead of 50 will have to be classified as a house rule but I think it won't make any major difference, especially in 2 player games which is what I mostly play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2020, 11:28:50 pm »

Something randomly occurred to me. Out of no where I remembered a fan card that created a +card token concept (worked just like Coffers and/or Villagers but for cards). The critique that I had for that makes me wonder if Horses are going to be more than just a vanilla +card token...

The critique being that it's far too rare that you would actually want to save the token for later instead of using it right now. I feel like it would pretty much only come up when you are over-drawing your deck. If you still have cards in your deck, and you have a +card token lying around, aren't you going to just spend that token almost every time? At least in an engine deck, which seems to be most good Dominion decks these days. Sure you could be playing some sort of BM without +buy and already have your ; but that just doesn't seem common enough.

It's at least enough to make me wonder if Horses will be something other than simply a Coffers for +card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2020, 12:27:03 am »
+1

I'd be tempted to disagree (and hope I'll have fun playing in order to find out). Card draw at the start of your turn is way more powerful than draw later, when it comes to consistency. It might well be worth accepting one indifferent turn in order to establish a rhythm of using the horses you got on your previous turn, then saving a fresh set for the next one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2020, 02:32:35 am »

If you still have cards in your deck, and you have a +card token lying around, aren't you going to just spend that token almost every time?

That's like trivially not the case. You don't spend your coffers almost every time, you only spend them when they're easier to acquire than actual coins or during specific moments when you get particularly good value from them. You very rarely spend a coffer to hit $6 instead of $5, and similarly, you would very rarely spend a card token to dig for more money to hit $6 instead of $5. The card token has the extra benefit of cycling your deck so you do have an extra incentive to use them before the end of the shuffle compared to coffers, but on the other hand, the prospect of saving you from a potentially-game-losing dud turn is an extra incentive to save them compared to coffers.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.