Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Menagerie  (Read 87112 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Menagerie
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »
+11

I hope there's at least enough animal cards that we can make an animal kingdom.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 04:20:34 pm »
+1

My guess, based on past sets, is that at least half the cards will be on-theme. Look at the other sets with strong themes: Seaside, Alchemy, Dark Ages, Guilds, Nocturne and the proportions of those that related to the theme.

(Good luck figuring out which cards match the theme of "hinterlands". (-8 )

As for making an animal kingdom, that's already just-about possible: Familiar, Trusty Steed, Rats, Magpie, Wolf Den, Faithful Hound, Goat, Bat, Locusts. You might need to stretch a point and include animal-related things like Wolf Den, Werewolf, Menagerie, Stables, Hunting Party, Hunting Grounds, Wild Hunt, Horse Traders, etc.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »
+3

As for making an animal kingdom, that's already just-about possible: Familiar, Trusty Steed, Rats, Magpie, Wolf Den, Faithful Hound, Goat, Bat, Locusts. You might need to stretch a point and include animal-related things like Wolf Den, Werewolf, Menagerie, Stables, Hunting Party, Hunting Grounds, Wild Hunt, Horse Traders, etc.

I don't know if I would call that familiar an animal any more than I would call the Imp one.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 05:40:54 pm »

My guess, based on past sets, is that at least half the cards will be on-theme. Look at the other sets with strong themes: Seaside, Alchemy, Dark Ages, Guilds, Nocturne and the proportions of those that related to the theme.

Werewolf isn't any less animal related than Bat.

Edit: Also, my list had Pooka.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:55:18 pm by markusin »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2020, 08:21:29 pm »

Yeah but "on theme" here doesn't mean "is a card named after an animal".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2020, 09:44:53 pm »
+1

wait do you think a werewolf isn't a person?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2020, 09:07:56 am »
+2

Trusty Steed, Wolf Den, Goat, Bat, and Locusts aren't kingdom cards, so they don't belong in an animal kingdom. Familiar and Menagerie aren't specific animals. Stables and Horse Traders are humans or human-made things. Hunting Party, Hunting Grounds, and Wild Hunt are killing animals, so I wouldn't count them in an animal kingdom. A werewolf is a person for 98.3% of their life, only become an animal for the 1.7% of their life which is a full moon.

So by my count, our current animal kingdom is Rats, Magpie, Faithful Hound. 7 to go.
If I were slightly less strict, I might include Familiar and/or Menagerie, bringing the needed amount down to 5.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:42 am »

Yes, if it's purely a kingdom of animals, it's 3. But I would include Menagerie, Stables and Horse Traders if it's an animal-themed kingdom, so that's 6.

I don't see why people keep saying Familiar, I guess they think it's a cat? Take a look at the card, it's just some fantasy creature.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2020, 10:34:48 am »

I don't see why people keep saying Familiar, I guess they think it's a cat? Take a look at the card, it's just some fantasy creature.

A fantasy creature is an animal basically by definition. Sure it's not an animal that exists in the real world, which sets it apart from something like Goat, but it's definitely an animal. (I guess the other difference is that it's not the name of an animal, but rather the name of a roll that an animal plays? So it's more like "livestock" or "pet").
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:35:57 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2020, 10:52:17 am »

A fantasy creature is an animal basically by definition. Sure it's not an animal that exists in the real world, which sets it apart from something like Goat, but it's definitely an animal. (I guess the other difference is that it's not the name of an animal, but rather the name of a roll that an animal plays? So it's more like "livestock" or "pet").

But then Golem, Imp and Will-o'-Wisp are also animals? (I know the latter two are not kingdom cards.)

Edit: Again, take a look at the card. The familiar on the card is depicted as a demon-like creature, not as a real animal that plays a role as a familiar. Familiars are familiar spirits that can appear "as animals, but also at times as humans or humanoid figures." (WP) In this case it's not an animal, it's a little demon-like fantastical creature.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:59:14 am by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2020, 11:12:19 am »
+5

Familiars are familiar spirits that can appear "as animals, but also at times as humans or humanoid figures."

I didn't know this. I must not be as..... familiar with the subject as you!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2020, 11:38:56 am »
+2

The bat is actually the Vampire that transforms into the bat (you can't remove the Bat from the Vampire because Bat is not a kingdom card). Similarly, the Werewolf is a man that takes on a wolf form at night, perhaps depending on the moon. The wolf form is not shown on the card, so it might be an actual wolf or a "wolf-man".

So I say Werewolf isn't any less animal related than bat because both are humanoids transforming into animals.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:32 am »
+2

The bat is actually the Vampire that transforms into the bat (you can't remove the Bat from the Vampire because Bat is not a kingdom card). Similarly, the Werewolf is a man that takes on a wolf form at night, perhaps depending on the moon. The wolf form is not shown on the card, so it might be an actual wolf or a "wolf-man".

So I say Werewolf isn't any less animal related than bat because both are humanoids transforming into animals.

Yeah, in this case it's the difference between "Bat as a card name with no context" and "Bat as the name of a card that exists in Dominion, and isn't actually a real bat, but a form taken by a mythical creature".

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:20 pm »
+1

Do we think it is likely that all the Kingdoms are animals or just 6-10?

I'd assume basically no chance of them being all animals. At most, half of them.

Do humans count in your classification?  Because you're expecting ships and buildings and inanimate objects for the other 50%.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2020, 08:19:21 am »
+9

As a Monty Python fan, I'm going to be sad if there isn't some form of rabbit with a surprisingly strong attack, incidentally.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 08:19:38 pm »
+3

And don’t forget enchantress also had a pig in it.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2020, 09:11:44 am »

If we're going down the route of cards with animal in the art, even Village counts. Actually, at a quick glance, Harbinger, Merchant, Village, Gardens, Poacher, Market from the base set feature animals in the art. (-8

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2020, 02:00:57 pm »

If we're going down the route of cards with animal in the art, even Village counts. Actually, at a quick glance, Harbinger, Merchant, Village, Gardens, Poacher, Market from the base set feature animals in the art. (-8

Poacher now counts as an attack and other players discard down to 5/4/3 cards in hand.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2020, 01:33:54 am »

Enchantress didn’t just simply have a pig on it, whenever I played online my first action always had a picture of the pig on it when enchantress was in play hence my first action became the pig. So it was almost like pig was a separate Kingdom card.

Village, harbinger ect. Didn’t do that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:35:06 am by ClouduHieh »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 11:07:10 am »
+2

Enchantress didn’t just simply have a pig on it, whenever I played online my first action always had a picture of the pig on it when enchantress was in play hence my first action became the pig. So it was almost like pig was a separate Kingdom card.

Village, harbinger ect. Didn’t do that.

Right, but that's not part of the game: There is no rule that says that an Enchanted card should be replaced with a Pig card (and there is no Pig card). That's just a graphic representation chosen by the developer of the online client.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »
+11

Right, but that's not part of the game: There is no rule that says that an Enchanted card should be replaced with a Pig card (and there is no Pig card). That's just a graphic representation chosen by the developer of the online client.

And the reason was that we were getting lots of bug repoprts that said "card XYZ is not working, see my game number ...". Then it turned out there was an Enchantress played, that of course stopped the card XYZ doing what it normally does. This was due to several factors; the main one being the game doesn't show cards in play from the non-active player, so players could simply not see their opponent's Enchantress as they could in RL play.

So the choice was made to make it very clear that, if you are affected by an opponent's Enchantress, you can see that in advance in your personal status bar, and, most importantly, when you wanted to click on the first Action card that turn, you would see the Pig picture and be reminded that you get +1 Card, +1 Action.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2020, 05:31:38 pm »
+3

All I’m saying is the pig had a more active roll than the horse in harbinger. Thanks of course to online version. At the end of day though any extra card or box that has a picture of an animal on it is cool, like for instance hinterlands box had a monkey on it cool. And getting a new expansion with some animals actually having a bigger role in the game. Awesome!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
+2

And the reason was that we were getting lots of bug repoprts that said "card XYZ is not working, see my game number ...". Then it turned out there was an Enchantress played, that of course stopped the card XYZ doing what it normally does. This was due to several factors; the main one being the game doesn't show cards in play from the non-active player, so players could simply not see their opponent's Enchantress as they could in RL play.

So the choice was made to make it very clear that, if you are affected by an opponent's Enchantress, you can see that in advance in your personal status bar, and, most importantly, when you wanted to click on the first Action card that turn, you would see the Pig picture and be reminded that you get +1 Card, +1 Action.

this is a fascinating piece of insight into why the piggy cards exist.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2020, 01:25:15 am »
+1

Dominion getting an animal themed expansion. Does this mean its jumped the shark?

;D

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2020, 08:19:53 pm »
+1

Empires contained Catapult, and a Catapult is tantamount to jumping the shark .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.