Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Menagerie  (Read 87083 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Menagerie
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 04:56:24 pm »

Will there be a pre-order option on the website closer to the release date?
Has there ever been? RGG sells to distributors, not players.
Oh, I didn't realize that.  The expansions I have I bought either on Amazon or in store, but I'd just assumed that you could also buy directly from RGG.  Never mind then
They/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 05:28:26 pm »
+5

Maybe Ways are another landscape kingdom thing like events, landmarks, and projects? And I can foresee the exile mat confusing converted Magic players.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 06:46:20 pm »
+10

Maybe Ways are another landscape kingdom thing like events, landmarks, and projects?
Maybe! Perhaps they are things you can spend an Action to do, in the way that Events are things you can spend a Buy to do.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 07:10:40 pm »
+3

Maybe Ways are another landscape kingdom thing like events, landmarks, and projects?
Maybe! Perhaps they are things you can spend an Action to do, in the way that Events are things you can spend a Buy to do.

Oh!  That would make sense, since the description says "Ways that give Actions another option".  I was thinking that meant it did something to Action cards, but that actually makes a lot more sense.  Perhaps it's something like "Use 1 action + $X to ______" or "Use 1 action and discard X cards to ______".  It seems like there'd have to be something more than just an action, since if it's just an Action, then that would be equivalent to an Action card that's automatically in every single hand.  It would have to be either very weak (like "use 1 Action to get $1") or would end up warping the game if it's strong, and neither option sounds especially fun
They/them

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 07:33:24 pm »
+4

ok but it's not inception until there's a card called Alchemy
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 07:34:43 pm »
+1

Gngh! One month too late!

New sets seem to take weeks to reach the UK, and I'm going to be in the USA in February. So close to being able to pick up a set while out there. *sniff*

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
+10

You should plan a small expansion called Chancellor and then cancel it.  And then release a larger one called Messenger.

You know what, forget it.  Never listen to a minotaur.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 12:57:34 am »
+11

I argued for the set to be called Bestiary, but apparently that was too close to Bestiality for some peoples' tastes
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2020, 09:59:38 am »
+3

I argued for the set to be called Bestiary, but apparently that was too close to Bestiality for some peoples' tastes

I personally think they made the right call on that one.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »

With 400 cards and only 30 kingdom cards, I wonder how the other 70 cards are accounted for.  70 events seems implausible, so maybe Horses are cards, or maybe Ways are implemented in a way that requires a lot of cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2020, 01:09:05 pm »
+5

With 400 cards and only 30 kingdom cards, I wonder how the other 70 cards are accounted for.  70 events seems implausible, so maybe Horses are cards, or maybe Ways are implemented in a way that requires a lot of cards.

Well, it's animal themed, so there could be some sort of "super-rat" pile that has 80 copies.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2020, 01:35:36 pm »
+6

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2020, 01:44:05 pm »
+1

Well, it's animal themed, so there could be some sort of "super-rat" pile that has 80 copies.

I'm assuming that Ways are Landscape cards (like discussed above, the equivalent of Events for Actions).

When Events, Landmarks, and Projects first came up out there were 20, 21, 20 of those, so 20 seems a safe assumption. Add 10 events (Empires added 13, so <20 seems to make sense), that's 30 of the 70.

The remaining for 40 would then be, like GendoIkari, said, some super sized piles, or also other non supply piles related to the 30 Kingdom cards. (or if one extra pile is only 8, 12 cards for a Victory card pile).

As you can see, I'm assuming that Horses are just the name for card tokens, like Villagers for action tokens, and Coffers for coin tokens.

The question I'm interested in is, assuming that's true, when can you use the Horses? Villagers are only during Action phase, and Coffers only during Buy phase. Will Horses be limited to just one phase? or anytime?

Limiting to Action phase doesn't stop you from using them right *before* your Buy phase to draw extra Treasure. I guess they could be only during cleanup (drawing for your next hand), but that seems way too limiting.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:23:15 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2020, 05:19:25 pm »
+12

Oh man, I really hope Horses are implemented in a way that cards say +1 Horse.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2020, 05:28:54 pm »
+3

I've long thought that the Menagerie card ought to have been called Zoo, just to cover another letter of the alphabet when it comes to card names.

Maybe it could be renamed now this expansion exists. (-8

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2020, 05:29:17 pm »
+29

If you're building a megaturn deck, you should hold your horses.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »
+2

Given that the description says "Horses that save a draw for later", I wonder if the way they'll work is that you actually draw one less card when you receive the Horse.  So, when you initially receive the Horse token it's like the -card token in Adventures, but then later when you use them, you get +1 card per token used (maybe you use them anytime you'd draw to get +1 card?  So, you couldn't simply use it before your buy phase to get another treasure, but you could use it before playing, say, a village to instead get +2 cards +2 actions, or at clean-up to get 6 cards in your next hand).  So you're saving the draw you would've gotten for later
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:41:28 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 05:43:01 pm »

Oh man, I really hope Horses are implemented in a way that cards say +1 Horse.

I was hoping for +1 Lab Rat, but I'll take it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 06:14:08 pm »
+10

"super-rat"

Capybaras?
R.O.U.S.es

I personally think they made the right call on that one.

Really?  If you see the word "Bestiary" and think of "Bestiality", you've got a pretty sick mind.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 06:20:24 pm »
+2

Here's hoping that every animal card has the Rats/Magpie mechanic, I want a kingdom of ten cards that gain copies of themselves...

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »
+12

Here's hoping that every animal card has the Rats/Magpie mechanic, I want a kingdom of ten cards that gain copies of themselves...
Rabbit: "When you play this card, if it is the second Rabbit played this turn, gain the rest of the Rabbit pile"
They/them

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »

Given that the description says "Horses that save a draw for later", I wonder if the way they'll work is that you actually draw one less card when you receive the Horse.  So, when you initially receive the Horse token it's like the -card token in Adventures, but then later when you use them, you get +1 card per token used (maybe you use them anytime you'd draw to get +1 card?  So, you couldn't simply use it before your buy phase to get another treasure, but you could use it before playing, say, a village to instead get +2 cards +2 actions, or at clean-up to get 6 cards in your next hand).  So you're saving the draw you would've gotten for later

This is what I thought based on "save a draw," too. However, I wouldn't think you'd have to use a Horse token only when you are drawing cards but rather just any time in your action phase (like how you spend a villager).

Kevin K

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:08 pm »
+15

Can't wait to play the powerful - Duck, Duck, Goose combo.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 09:48:49 pm »
+2

This is what I thought based on "save a draw," too. However, I wouldn't think you'd have to use a Horse token only when you are drawing cards but rather just any time in your action phase (like how you spend a villager).

Based on this being more complicated, I think Horses are just going to be +1 Card (possibly costing an action to use), and cards that give Horses will not give +Cards. This is how all the Coffers cards have worked in the past - they didn't give you +$1 but they gave you the option to use +$1.

I'm guessing Horses may have an added cost because non-terminal card draw has proven to be really good, and deferring your card draw until you have spare actions sounds strong and hard to balance.

The part I find funny is that back in 2012, I made a My Little Pony fan expansion whose central mechanic was "cards that let each opponent draw an extra card", and 7.5 years later Dominion canonically has Horses that let you draw cards.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 11:14:04 pm »

Maybe Ways are another landscape kingdom thing like events, landmarks, and projects? And I can foresee the exile mat confusing converted Magic players.

I predict Ways will be like Teacher.  Teach actions to do additional things.  But instead of having to earn the Teacher, you buy the right to immediately add the Way to a Kingdom card that you choose.  Kind of like a Landmark and Project combined.

It would be a sideways card

For example, you spend $7 to add your "+1 Traveler" token to the Smithy pile.

Maybe you spend $9 to add a +1Horse to a pile.

Maybe you spend $6 to add a +1 Coffee to a pile.

And you have all the other Teacher tokens from Adventures, too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 01:23:05 pm by Saul Goodman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.