Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Decrypto  (Read 15443 times)

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: Decrypto
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2020, 03:47:37 am »

I can also state now that to this day I have no idea how the Blueberries clue connects to 1.
In hindsight that was not a good clue, because it uses a bad kind of clue difficulty. Good clue difficulty is hard for the opponents and easy for your own team, this was just equally hard for both teams.

My idea at the time was to give minimal differences between the words as to uncover as least as possible about the hidden code words. So I came up with a property that I could link to all the clues and then added one layer of obfuscation. This obfuscation is bad, because both your own team and the opponents need the same effort to work it out. I tried to hint at the obfuscation with the words chosen, but obviously that failed. Given the three words Oranges - Blueberries - Cucumbers, can you guess which property, I wanted to hint at? It was the colors orange - blue - green.

Now that still doesn't explain the connection with the words, while orange and green should be obvious, I had two reasons to believe blue could be decoded. The stronger one is that the fruit would have been Bananas otherwise. The weaker one is the infamous "Blue Dog" rule explanation in Dominion.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2020, 10:53:22 am »

Damnit! We did briefly consider 2 for Menagerie.

We're fairly certain 4 is Greenhouse.
And I JUST now figure out 3, I think: Old Faithful (for a while we were thinking Fireworks)

1 and 2? 1 maybe something like King, and I think we're still stumped on two.

Watno, anything to add?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2020, 11:01:40 am »

I have lots for post mortem about our clues. Though I'll likely have to post piecemeal.

Our words:
Rifle
Microscope
Cliff
Drawing

Trying to come up with an 8th clue for Cliff?? Man.

The one I missed Smithy made perfect sense after, and I'm sad I didn't even consider the Dominion aspect. I also really liked Tie.

Watno, questions on any of my clues?

Also some rules questions:
1) If on the last round say we hadn't already had a miscommunication, could we have just given a nonsense clue? Or, ias I assume, that's not quite in the spirit of the rules, but a very farfetched connection would be ok?

2) For a word like microscope, which is compound, could we have given clues to point to just one part of the word? Even if we used a meaning of the word that did not related to the whole? e.g. Mouthwash to refer to "Scope", which is a brand of mouthwash*

(*) I still might not have, because I don't know if Scope is well known outside the USA

3) What happens for accidental illegal clues? i.e. I almost gave Bar, for Cliff, because of the snack bar (again not sure how well known outside the USA, but looking now it turns out it's actually Clif with only one F

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2020, 11:06:28 am »

Just red your spoilers? How about Tiger for your number 2?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:59 am »

Ugh, I just realized how close we were - I kept trying to think of an animal to associate with #2 and I was thinking Elephant (due to India) or maybe Zebra (due to pattern) If Tiger had popped into my head then, I would have been sure "Paper Tigers" and we would have intercepted!

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2020, 11:13:35 am »

Oh (and sorry for all posts), and congratulations to faust and ghostofmars, you guys did a great job of stumping us throughout the 8 rounds. Great game!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2020, 11:47:58 am »

Also some rules questions:
1) If on the last round say we hadn't already had a miscommunication, could we have just given a nonsense clue? Or, ias I assume, that's not quite in the spirit of the rules, but a very farfetched connection would be ok?

2) For a word like microscope, which is compound, could we have given clues to point to just one part of the word? Even if we used a meaning of the word that did not related to the whole? e.g. Mouthwash to refer to "Scope", which is a brand of mouthwash*

(*) I still might not have, because I don't know if Scope is well known outside the USA

3) What happens for accidental illegal clues? i.e. I almost gave Bar, for Cliff, because of the snack bar (again not sure how well known outside the USA, but looking now it turns out it's actually Clif with only one F
1) I think according to the rules if there is no winner after 8 rounds, the team with the better token balance wins (before doing the word guess thing). So unless you have 0 miscommunications and 1 interception, and the opposing team has 1 miscommunication and 0 interceptions, I don't think nonsense clues help.

I don't know about 2 and 3, but would generally try to limit to clues which relate to one meaning of the complete word. Though ghost did try to give 2 clues that would have violated 2. It's a thin line as usually things that fit with one part of the compound will fit the whole thing to some extent.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2020, 11:49:03 am »

Our words (don't think spoilers are needed anymore):

Rule
Tiger
Yellowstone
Greenhouse

QT is here.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2020, 11:52:20 am »

You had Rifle/Microscope and gave the Blood clue for Microscope? That's quite dangerous.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2020, 11:53:33 am »

For the record I know of neither Scope nor Clif, even though I've lived in the US for 3 months.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2020, 01:31:09 pm »

Reading our own QT I realized that we discussed Drawing for 4 and neither of us noticed the connection to Smithy :o

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2020, 02:54:12 am »

In round 4 and 6 my clues were rather straight forward, but in the last round I was relatively sure that you got Rule and Greenhouse, but did not know Tiger yet. Hence I chose a word that intentionally overlapped with both Rule and Tiger but being a bit closer to Tiger. I don't know how easy it was for faust to work out the difference, but I am glad it ultimately worked out.

Would anybody be up for another round?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2020, 10:28:48 am »

I went the same way of trying to find more vague clues on Round 8 with: Close, Ski, and Arm

(not knowing you were thinking eye I was hoping the verb / adjective definitions of Close would be confusing)
Same with Arm for weapons vs body part, though that confused Watno more than y'all.
And ski was my attempt to be vague on Cliff, which I was assuming you knew. It worked in that you missed it, but failed in that so did Watno,

I am definitely in for another round.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:09 am »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »

Congratulations.

I guess I overthought the last clue. I thought you wouldn't really ski at a cliff.

I'd be up for another, and we had 2 more people interested as well.
Go for a game with 6?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2020, 12:52:28 pm »

Congratulations.

I guess I overthought the last clue. I thought you wouldn't really ski at a cliff.

I'd be up for another, and we had 2 more people interested as well.
Go for a game with 6?

Like I said, 8 clues for Cliff was a tall order.

Happy to add a team member!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2020, 01:01:32 pm »

I sent out messages to bitwise and Uncleeurope, who expressed interest in playing.

bitwise

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »

Thanks for the PM! I'm still interested.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2020, 05:53:08 pm »

Hi, I still have interest, although I am a lot busier now.

In theory I should be fine to join, though.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2020, 03:07:34 am »

I created a topic for the second game http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20097.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.