Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sentry + Overgrown Estate  (Read 1110 times)

furyrage

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Sentry + Overgrown Estate
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:19:32 pm »

If I play a Sentry and the two cards I look at are an Overgrown Estate that I choose to trash and a card that I choose to place back on top of my deck, do I draw the card from trashing my Overgrown Estate before or after placing the other card on top of my deck?

The Sentry card text splits trash/discard and placing the card on top of the deck into separate sentences: "Look at the top two cards of your deck. Trash and/or discard any number of them. Put the rest back on top in any order."

The Dark Ages rule book says (in reference to "when you trash" abilities): "These abilities happen directly after the card is put into the trash, and can function in the middle of resolving effects for an Action card"

Those statements make me think that the card would be drawn before placing the other card on top of my deck. Is that correct? Or can I choose the order of trashing and placing on top of my deck?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Sentry + Overgrown Estate
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »
+2

Yes, you would draw your card before placing the other one on top of your deck.  The order goes:
  • Look at the top two cards
  • Trash and/or discard either or both of them
  • Resolve any effects from trashing/discarding (so in this case, drawing a card), if both cards trigger an effect, you can choose what order to resolve them (although offhand I can't think of any cases where the order would make a practical difference)
  • Then topdeck the card(s) you didn't trash or discard

And of course the same principle applies to any other card with a "when you trash" or "when you discard" clause
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:45:04 pm by mxdata »
They/them

furyrage

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »

Thank you!

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »

Yes, you would draw your card before placing the other one on top of your deck.  The order goes:
  • Look at the top two cards
  • Trash and/or discard either or both of them
  • Resolve any effects from trashing/discarding (so in this case, drawing a card), if both cards trigger an effect, you can choose what order to resolve them (although offhand I can't think of any cases where the order would make a practical difference)
  • Then topdeck the card(s) you didn't trash or discard

And of course the same principle applies to any other card with a "when you trash" or "when you discard" clause

Oh, actually I can think of at least one case where it would make a difference.  If the top two cards are Tunnel and Overgrown Estate (or any other card that has a "draw X cards when you trash" clause) and you have a Watchtower in your hand (or a Tracker in play also works), then the order you resolve the effects would matter, if you resolve Tunnel's effect first, then you gain a Gold, which you can then topdeck with Watchtower, and then it gets drawn when you resolve Overgrown Estate.  If you resolve Overgrown Estate first, on the other hand, then you wouldn't draw that Gold, since you drew a card before gaining and topdecking the Gold
They/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 03:45:39 pm »

Yes, the reason is that cards that are being revealed from your deck or "looked at from your deck" are not on top of your deck. This is one of the unwritten rules of Dominion that you can glean from reading about certain card interactions in the rulebooks (and which Donald has confirmed in forum posts). This is also important for cards like Lookout and Golem.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:47:55 pm by Jeebus »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.