Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Price these cards...ongoing challenge.  (Read 2888 times)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Price these cards...ongoing challenge.
« on: December 24, 2019, 08:02:05 pm »

I was wondering how to price certain cards and thought there's a fun game in this.
Have a go at pricing these cards and add your own simple ideas to be priced as well.
If you want to provide reasons please do and feel free to disagree with others.
If this is already a thread my apologies.

1. A treasure that when played gains you two golds and six debt (but doesn't actually make money itself)
2. An action that gives you +3 cards with the drawback from Contraband (a player nominates a card you cannot buy)
3. An action-attack-duration that says "+1 Action, Each other player can't gain actions while this is in play. At the start of your turn if this is in play trash it and gain a differently named card costing the same or less than this"
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:22:14 pm by somekindoftony »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Price these cards...Challenges 1-3
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »

1. A treasure that when played gains you two golds and six debt (but doesn't actually make money itself)
six debt
2. An action that gives you +3 cards with the drawback from Contraband (a player nominates a card you cannot buy)
$2
3. An action-attack-duration that says "+1 Action, Each other player can't gain actions while this is in play. At the start of your turn if this is in play trash it and gain a differently named card costing the same or less than this"
$6. Maybe $7.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Price these cards...ongoing challenge.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 12:34:44 am »
+1

1. shouldn't cost debt because it makes money strategies too good (just open with it). Probably fine at $6.

I agree with your other prices, spineflu

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 12:52:47 am »

I also like $6 for #1, $2 for #2 .
I could be persuaded that 5 or even 3 is justified for the third one. If I had a choice between buying a witch first turn on a 5-2 split or getting this and a witch one turn later it would probably be best to get the witch. This is a pretty brutal attack but only if your opponent actual depends on +Actions which won't be early game so much.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 06:43:09 am »
+2

I'm not letting #3 into my game at any cost. It creates a lot of rules snarls.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 09:37:57 am »

it's literally just the same as Deluded; I priced it similar to when I was designing a druid-style hex-er.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:39:07 am by spineflu »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 10:38:52 am »
+3

it's literally just the same as Deluded; I priced it similar to when I was designing a druid-style hex-er.
It's not, though. Deluded prevents you from buying Actions, which is fine. The OP's card prevents you from gaining Actions, which interacts oddly with a few cards that force you to gain Actions.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 02:13:16 pm »
+1

It's not, though. Deluded prevents you from buying Actions, which is fine. The OP's card prevents you from gaining Actions, which interacts oddly with a few cards that force you to gain Actions.
Not really. Suppose you play Exorcist, trash an Silver and then don't gain an Imp. Normally X would happen, now it does not.
This is incredibly simple. Unless you direly want to read rule issue into it, then you can of course construct an obstacle.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 05:36:15 pm »

Not really. Suppose you play Exorcist, trash an Silver and then don't gain an Imp. Normally X would happen, now it does not.
This is incredibly simple. Unless you direly want to read rule issue into it, then you can of course construct an obstacle.
Well, you can make that ruling, but it renders certain cards (Swindler, for example) extremely broken.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 05:58:51 pm »

I wouldn't buy this for free.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 06:11:28 pm »

Well, you can make that ruling, but it renders certain cards (Swindler, for example) extremely broken.
Swindler wants to junk Cursers, Silvers, Duchies and Estates, not Actions. So nothing broken here unless you consider trashing a $4 Action instead of exchanging it for a worse $4 Action a horrible increase in the power level of Swindler.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 06:16:51 pm »

Swindler wants to junk Cursers, Silvers, Duchies and Estates, not Actions. So nothing broken here unless you consider trashing a $4 Action instead of exchanging it for a worse $4 Action a horrible increase in the power level of Swindler.
I swindle your $5 Action. I choose a $5 Action to Swindle it into. You can't gain it because #3 is in play.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 06:43:53 pm »

Thats irrational, you want to junk a Duchy early on. And in the late game Swindler becomes a trashing Attack without any exchanging.Thats a power buff, not a rule issue.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 08:23:27 pm »

Just to add to the confusion I had intended no.3 to simply prevent you from gaining actions in the sense that when you play a village you would draw a card and nothing else. So no +actions in your turn.
I suspect nobody got that interpretation from what I wrote.  Soz.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 08:38:47 pm »

I wouldn't buy this for free.

Now this is the kind of diverse opinion I was hoping this card might provoke. I don't think it's total trash but it's good for one strategy and only for a few plays.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 04:53:55 am »

Just to add to the confusion I had intended no.3 to simply prevent you from gaining actions in the sense that when you play a village you would draw a card and nothing else. So no +actions in your turn.
I suspect nobody got that interpretation from what I wrote.  Soz.
So that would probably be best phrased as "until your next turn, whenever any other player plays an Action that would give them +Actions, it does not do so".

Again, not including that in my game at any cost. It completely shuts down the other players.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 08:48:00 am »

It completely shuts down the other players.
If they are dumb enough to not play money.

I agree that a temporary Action shut-down card is highly dubious. But I also think that there is potential at a high price, e.g. $6, to not totally prevent engine play. It might be risky to go for an engine but the active shut-down dude has to pay a large price to shut you down. Difficult to evaluate theoretically.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 08:52:39 am »

maybe it'd work better as a project, something like
"Until the end of your next turn, other players can not gain Action cards. 1VP"

Which gives you an action phase (on your next turn) to hit ppl with Swindler (the one VP is so that it's still useful as a project beyond that one turn). Still price it decently high though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 10:04:07 am »

You can save some rules headache with "when another player gains an action, they trash it". However, this still let's one take advantage of trash-for-benefit, on-gain effects, and lose track shenanigans.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.