Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I am the dickiest dick who ever dicked  (Read 3869 times)

Exclams

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
I am the dickiest dick who ever dicked
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:39:16 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/18/game-20120318-133052-4ecff810.html

A 37-turn grindfest. It's not like I thought my strategy was optimal, but I was surprised he came out so many provinces ahead before I got my squeeze on. Once it's applied, though... should he resign? Should I? Or should we both just keep clicking?

I think he should've started buying estates/duchy earlier, or bought a trade route when he had the chance.

Relevant chat snippets:
16:18 buzzmcnab: are you just being dickish for the sake of being dickish, or do you actually have a plan to win this game that involves you having an $12 pirate ship mat?
16:18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: haha
16:18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: Kinda!
16:19 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: I have to kill all your money real good to have a chance though
16:26 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: I guess a better answer to your question would be
16:26 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: No, I have a plan to win this game that involves a $30 pirate mat

Followed by the crucial:

16:30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…: looks like $26 will do it
16:31 buzzmcnab: you are the dickiest dick who ever dicked

(Not typically a dominion asshole, I swear! Ignore the isotropic handle.)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: I am the dickiest dick who ever dicked
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »

Never say never

- Justice Beaver

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:40:58 pm »

It should have been easy enough for him to buy one native village to keep his money in. Instead of one of those silvers in the last 20 turns.

carlosthedwarf

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:57 pm »

I was the opponent here. I don't understand the suggestion to buy a native village here. How am I supposed to get my money into it before he trashes it with pirate ship?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

Interesting that this wasn't far from being a stalemate. You won by 1 point and the only VP remaining on the board was 5 estates, so if buzzmcnab had grabbed even just an extra duchy and estate, there wouldn't be enough VP to win by... and there's also not much hope for him to come back and win if he has zero buying power in his deck.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 06:30:05 pm »

Agree with bluebimp, if you felt it slipping away about turn 20 a bit of maths would have helped you realise that buying a Dutchy would leave him unable to win. (and then a couple more estate buys instead of silvers would have won it)

All this in hindsight though, but always try to guarentee and close out a game if you can.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

The best defense against pirate ship or sab is a 4 card hand. Buy nv, play it before caravan and draw a card in. Instead of buying silver on turns 15, 18 20. Buying an nv to draw provinces into it , or trade route(trash apprentice or caravan for 2 buys of copper) would have been better. Say you draw 2 provinces into your nv and you played both caravans last turn. If you buy a copper it has to come into your hand.

carlosthedwarf

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »

I think the problem was I didn't anticipate the game slipping away from me until it was too late.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:03 am »

I played a similar, but much less grueling game (due to the amazing engine setup).  My opponent jumped out to an early lead, but I was able to grind every last treasure out of his deck by the end and then grab a big pile of VP with my $12 ships. 

It isn't terribly similar, but I remembered a game where I used ships to wipe out my opponent's economy, and took the time to look it up, so here it is.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111223-180951-26b3a8bc.html

flip314

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »

Don't have a game log, but I won a game against a pirate shipper by tradering a province for 8 silvers late in the game to let me buy up the last couple provinces. ;D  There weren't any non-terminal +coins, so my usual anti-ship strategies weren't in play.

I'm not sure whether he was just messing with me or whether he had a legitimate strategy and just didn't see that move coming, but he did have me almost ground to a halt at that point.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:46:33 am »

He should've apprenticed his provinces to run out the province pile, if he had the chance. But that looked like fun. :P
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.