Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance - Highway PSA  (Read 3787 times)

recfish

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Inheritance - Highway PSA
« on: December 15, 2019, 10:05:32 pm »
+6

If you try to set aside a highway via inheritance you are going to have a bad time. Your estates will just be cantrips, leaving the cost of cards completely unaffected. Why, you ask? Well it is due to the new formulation of the inheritance rules:

Inheritance text: Once per game...During your turns, Estates are also Actions  with "Play the card with your estate token, leaving it there".

Highway text: ...while this is in play, cards cost 1 less.

So you play your Estate, which plays your highway, leaving it there - meaning leaving it out of play. This means that the highways text does not take effect as it is never in play as is required to affect cost.

This happened to me and my opponent during a game, both of us assuming we were being very clever, reducing cost so as to use inheritance on a high cost card. It left us puzzling over why our estates weren't doing anything. We assumed it was a bug until we read the text of the two cards very carefully.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance - Highway PSA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:07:44 am »

Yup, same goes for Band of Misfits, Captain, Overlord, etc.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:07:49 am »

Yesterday I thought it was a good idea to inherit Death Cart.

Turned out that I had a poor grasp about what "this" is. Estate would not trash itself (and not give you the €5) but would trash an Estate from hand.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:26:36 pm »
+3

Yesterday I thought it was a good idea to inherit Death Cart.

Turned out that I had a poor grasp about what "this" is. Estate would not trash itself (and not give you the €5) but would trash an Estate from hand.

Gotta get out of the old inheritance paradigm when discussing these! Estate isn't the source of the effect - it's the set aside Death Cart! All the Estate does is make you play it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:05:25 pm »

Wait, what's wrong with inheriting Death Cart?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 05:49:50 pm »

"You may trash this or an action card from your hand, for +5" is the new text for Death Cart (one of the online changes made alongside the "Command" type update). The +5 is now contingent on trashing something.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 06:04:40 pm »

"You may trash this or an action card from your hand, for +5" is the new text for Death Cart (one of the online changes made alongside the "Command" type update). The +5 is now contingent on trashing something.

It's still useful if you have something to trash, of course.  You just can't use it as a one-shot Platinum anymore
They/them

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 10:53:05 am »

It's still useful if you have something to trash, of course.  You just can't use it as a one-shot Platinum anymore

You still can use it as a one-shot Platinum--"You may trash this" means you can still trash the death cart for the +5 coins. The difference is that without the text change, if you are able to play Death Cart from the supply and leave it there (like new Overlord), you get the +5 coins first before choosing what to trash. You could then choose to trash the Death Cart, which would fail (from the old lose track rule, because the Death Cart isn't in play where it expects itself to be), so you would effectively get +5 without having to actually trash anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the reason the text on Death Cart was changed with this update--to prevent you from easily getting +5 coins without having to trash anything.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:24:29 am »

As if Death Cart needed a nerf. (OK maybe an impersonated Death Cart needs one.)

It was still a fun game, and I had Fair in the game you there was always the extra buy of another Estate. But more often than not there was no action left to trash.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:25:56 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 12:11:17 pm »

As if Death Cart needed a nerf. (OK maybe an impersonated Death Cart needs one.)

It was still a fun game, and I had Fair in the game you there was always the extra buy of another Estate. But more often than not there was no action left to trash.

Pillage also got the same nerf. An impersonated/commanded Pillage is pretty nuts.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:24 am »
+2

You still can use it as a one-shot Platinum--"You may trash this" means you can still trash the death cart for the +5 coins.

Not if you play an Inherited Estate. Then it's impossible to trash the set-aside Death Cart.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.