Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Enchantress  (Read 2464 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Enchantress
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:03:30 am »

The text on Enchantress begins "Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays an Action card on their turn ..." - is there a particular reason for the "on their turn" wording?  It seems redundant to me, because when could you possibly play a card not on your turn?  The only time you could do something not on your turn would be a reaction, but unless I'm mistaken, a reaction isn't considered "playing an action", is it?  So, am I missing something that makes that phrasing relevant?
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantress
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:52 am »
+1

The text on Enchantress begins "Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays an Action card on their turn ..." - is there a particular reason for the "on their turn" wording?  It seems redundant to me, because when could you possibly play a card not on your turn?  The only time you could do something not on your turn would be a reaction, but unless I'm mistaken, a reaction isn't considered "playing an action", is it?  So, am I missing something that makes that phrasing relevant?

Oh, wait, never mind.  I just realized, that's relevant to things like Outpost that allow you to take a second turn.  Without the "on their turn" clause Enchantress wouldn't affect that second turn
They/them

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 12:10:16 am »
+6

It also deals with Caravan Guard, which really is a reaction that causes a card to be played as an action on someone else's turn.

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:30:13 pm »

Oh, wait, never mind.  I just realized, that's relevant to things like Outpost that allow you to take a second turn.  Without the "on their turn" clause Enchantress wouldn't affect that second turn

Well you see, there's another issue with all of this. If Enchantress says "Until your next turn, the first time each other plays an Action card, it does +1 Card, +1 Action" then there would be some major issues, because then Enchantress would imply that the first Action played by each opponent in the entire game would be that way, and well, that doesn't make much sense on a card.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:23 am »
+1

Well you see, there's another issue with all of this. If Enchantress says "Until your next turn, the first time each other plays an Action card, it does +1 Card, +1 Action" then there would be some major issues, because then Enchantress would imply that the first Action played by each opponent in the entire game would be that way, and well, that doesn't make much sense on a card.

I don't think that would be a reasonable reading.  The more reasonable reading would be "the first time after this card is played"
They/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.