Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Product Idea - Dominion: Memories  (Read 7196 times)

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Product Idea - Dominion: Memories
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:22:03 pm »

Hi, I have had an idea for a dominion "Mini-Expansion" : Memories.
Essentially the 10 kingdom card piles removed from the 2nd edition boxes (woodcutter, thief, coppersmith etc.)
This is so players can use these old (and still good) cards with the 2nd ed trash mat, artworked base cards and new kingdom cards

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Product Idea - Dominion: Memories
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 08:24:31 pm »
+8

Hi, I have had an idea for a dominion "Mini-Expansion" : Memories.
Essentially the 10 kingdom card piles removed from the 2nd edition boxes (woodcutter, thief, coppersmith etc.)
This is so players can use these old (and still good) cards with the 2nd ed trash mat, artworked base cards and new kingdom cards
For me the value of getting rid of the removed cards exceeded the value of adding the new ones. I don't want to bring them back! There would need to be crazy high demand for them for me to okay it. Do not expect them back.

Your best hope for any of them is a new version that tries to fix up the premise. And in case you then want to know, how is that going, I'm there for you.

Chancellor - Messenger and Scavenger are fixed versions.
Woodcutter - as a vanilla card it sure doesn't feel like it's something missing. There are other +$2 +1 Buy cards e.g. Messenger again.
Feast - Nothing directly replaces this, but it adds so little to games. I guess in a way Changeling is an improved Feast.
Spy - Nothing directly replaces this. It's slow and weak; I prefer the at least faster form of Rabble. But there is still potential to someday do a new Spy.
Thief - Noble Brigand was trying to be a fixed version; now Bandit has that role.
Adventurer - Venture is to some degree a fixed version. It's at least not as bad as Adventurer. Mostly any +2 Cards card is better.

Secret Chamber - The action part is on e.g. Vault, Storeroom. The reaction has no replacement and well. It's mildly interesting, a different way to deal with certain attacks, but no star. I wouldn't hold out hope for a new one.
Great Hall - Mill is the improved version.
Coppersmith - I tried to fix this up for Intrigue 2E but didn't get something good enough. I tried again for the new expansion and failed again. Maybe someday.
Scout - Patrol is a fixed version.
Saboteur - For me the premise was just "trashing attack." If you accept that then there are other better trashing attacks, hooray. Specifically digging for a good-enough card to trash is problematic. Inverse Remodel does exist on the Hex Locusts.
Tribute - Random resources are more interesting when based on your own deck, e.g. Ironmonger, than when based on your opponent, e.g. Chariot Race, but a fixed Tribute isn't out of the question. It's not on my mind though; it's not a great starting point.

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 07:28:03 am »
+1

(Sorry for my bad english).

Great Hall - Mill is the improved version.

Great Hall is a good card. Yes Mills does better, but the simplicity of Great Hall is interresting.
The card only provides VP but does not encumber the deck. Buying this card is a risk (losing a turn of the game), but it can make the difference at the end. There is a lot of association with a victory card costing 4.
=> Engines deck with more buy, remodel, Workshop (!!!), Ironmonger/Courtier (few cards with this mechanism...), Quarry, Swindler, end of game purchase, etc ...
 I kept Mills and Great Hall. It is regularly bought.

Coppersmith could be better. I want a card to replace it! :)
Spy is slow... As Scrying Pool... :(

The cards that I find unbalanced:
- Stash: is a good cards. But better if it cost 4? It enters into competition with cards costing 5, and it is not bought.
- Talisman: why "non-victory card"? she would have been better and funny without that.
- Navigator: why not like "Scouting Party"?
- Bureaucrat: it slowed down the deck.
- Loan: only good in engine deck. Why "discard" the good cards?
- Harvest: why discard?
- Rebuild: + 1 action seems too much.
- Explorer: It enters in competition with the cards costing 5, and it is not bought.
- Transmute, rats, possession ...

But it's amazing as all other cards are well balanced!  ;D
Many players do not like Lookout, but this is one of my favorite cards! It's fun to play because there is a risk !

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 07:33:09 am by Vengil »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:14:42 pm »
+6

I thought Bank was like the fixed Coppersmith.

CaptainTheo

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 01:51:27 am »

I miss Saboteur most of all - I seem to be one of the few who actively liked this card. Sure, it's weak for its cost but was the most likely way of trashing an opponents' Province/Colony, and isn't so week if you can Throne Room or Kings Court it. Also it's deliciously evil.

The other ones I miss are Tribute, Feast and Coppersmith, and these four I tend to prefer to play with, excluding the other ten removed cards.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:58:58 pm »

I miss Saboteur most of all - I seem to be one of the few who actively liked this card. Sure, it's weak for its cost but was the most likely way of trashing an opponents' Province/Colony, and isn't so week if you can Throne Room or Kings Court it. Also it's deliciously evil.
And there you have the true problem with Saboteur: it was terribroken. It was either really good or really bad, with not many games where it was just a reasonable strength.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 11:03:24 pm »

Feast - Nothing directly replaces this, but it adds so little to games. I guess in a way Changeling is an improved Feast.

Mostly I agree that the deprecated cards were hardly used.  I do think that feast has a LOT of impact on many kingdoms.
Specifically:   

1) a Feast has different probabilities for hitting a 5 count than a silver does on turns 3 and 4.   Silver copper copper can be game losing.  Feast copper copper allows for a 5 card.   double silver is great for hitting 6 and 7 early.   silver and feast is good for hitting double 5.
2) Feast works well with low valued kingdom cards.   Copper, copper and silver can be frustrating.  Copper copper feast hits the five while also picking up a pawn or lurker.  (where as starting with these cards in lieu of feast would be detrimental to hitting the 5 counts)
3) There are many kingdoms where you want to minimize silver.  Having a feast that hits that critical 5 and then self destructs to keep the deck thin can be quite valuable.  Assuming you have bought only cantrips and haven't trashed, a deck with a silver in it is going to move 10% slower than a deck without.
4) Just being an action allows feast to interact very differently than silver with the rest of the game e.g. play before your watchtower, and either u have extra actions OR you get to top deck the 5 card.  hit it with a vassal.  Power it up with a teacher.  Throne it, process it, Captain it.  The list goes on.

Anyways ... i'm very grateful that you continue to support the deprecated cards - so i can continue to use feast! :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 11:33:50 am »
+1

Mostly I agree that the deprecated cards were hardly used.  I do think that feast has a LOT of impact on many kingdoms.

I won't argue that Feast doesn't have an impact on kingdoms, but I will argue that it doesn't have much impact on most kingdoms. Yeah it shifts the probabilities slightly, but that's less impactful than almost any other Kingdom card. I'm glad you enjoy Feast, but I'm also glad it was removed from 2nd Edition to make way for e.g. Artisan.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.