Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pokemon Sword and Shield  (Read 3908 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
Pokemon Sword and Shield
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:17:03 am »
+1

I'll try to make this as spoilerless as possible.

So, I started playing on 15th, was playing Shield because of Galarian Ponyta.

Beat the game as of now, although I plan on getting as many pokemon as I can which is pretty fun, given all the Wild Area stuff. I also need to get into trading to complete the Pokedex, i own both copies.

Every time I get into the game I still manage to find something completely new and exciting, that's what's keeping me in.

Storywise, it's not the best game of them all. Nothing beats Black/White for me, but still this is pretty fun and I liked the characters and all the rivals. Marney's a bit bland, but well. All the postgame stuff with royal weirdos just didn't make it for me at all, I just wanted it to be over as soon as possible and also, for god's sake, why would every evil person and those two as well have as many Steel-types?! My team was prepared was literally any type except steel! Well, extra-challenge I suppose

I love the graphics a lot, cities, wild area, Routes, tunnels. Dynamaxing, Gigantamaxing, Gym battles, everything is REALLY beautiful, I don't ever regret buying this TV I bought.

Concerning Curry cooking and camping in general it's a lot of fun, if you don't rush to the end of the game. Cooking is not my piece of cake in most games, so I didn't do that a lot, but playing and bonding with pokemon was awesome. It can also work as healing and even reviving, so yeah. As this gives experience, I was afraid I would be overleveled pretty soon, but no, I was 3-4 levels lower than the champion and I even managed to lose the first time. Overall, balance is pretty awesome here.

I think I covered it all, my final team was Intelleon, Boltund, Mr. Rime, Galarian Rapidash, Thievul and Alcremie and it sure was and still is huge loads of fun!

Anyone else playing? I am not sure there is a friends system, but still would be pretty cool to run into each other sometime.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:17:55 am »

A friend of mine bought the Sword/Shield double pack because he’s into Pokémon and Nintendo collectibles.

He borrowed my switch so that he could start the other game and then trade with himself so that he can get the Pokémon that you normally can’t get in whichever one he was doing on his own system.

So yes, I assume there’s some sort of tie in to the Switch friends system, and that’s how he was able to trade with “me”.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:28:12 pm »

I just beat the first gym. I can recall those halcyon days of beating a Pokémon game 3 days after release, but those days are gone for me.

I’m one of the people pretty angry about Dexit, but I’m slightly optimistic that the competitive aspect might be better for it. They took out Hidden Power, which is great. If only we hadn’t lost so many other interesting moves in the bargain.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:02:05 pm »

I just beat the first gym. I can recall those halcyon days of beating a Pokémon game 3 days after release, but those days are gone for me.

I’m one of the people pretty angry about Dexit, but I’m slightly optimistic that the competitive aspect might be better for it. They took out Hidden Power, which is great. If only we hadn’t lost so many other interesting moves in the bargain.

I am not really into competitive. It actually means I never tried and maybe now it's time to, who knows?

Maybe that's why I am not angry about the Dex. I like everything that's there, couple of my favorites got cut, but it makes it a bit more interesting as I need to choose what to pick for the playthrough other than usual lumineon/kingdra.

Anyway, I want to complete the Dex first and then maybe look into competitives.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:02:47 pm »
+1

A friend of mine bought the Sword/Shield double pack because he’s into Pokémon and Nintendo collectibles.

He borrowed my switch so that he could start the other game and then trade with himself so that he can get the Pokémon that you normally can’t get in whichever one he was doing on his own system.

So yes, I assume there’s some sort of tie in to the Switch friends system, and that’s how he was able to trade with “me”.

You can trade on a "local" system which I assume means you start the trade and then everyone on the same WiFi can trade with you.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 11:16:33 am »

Really miss the GTS trades; is there any word on if they're bringing that back? I've got Sword (because I have waited twenty dang years for an evolution for Farfetch'd and I'm not going to be cheated out of it by version differences).

Looking for ppl to trade with to flesh out the galar dex. i'll post my friend code later when i get home. I mostly want an Eiscue and to swap fossils.

I really enjoyed the storyline (and how this was the first pokemon game since Gen 1 that really Required leveling - I remember rolling in to the elite four in gen 2 with level 30-some pokemon and winning - my galar rapidash was at lv 78 when i finished the elite four.) The post-game... it was fine. Not exactly the Delta Episode, but still more rewarding than the tacked-on random arcade game that I was terrible at in US/UM.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:19:54 am by spineflu »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 04:01:56 pm »
+1

Sadly I also have Sword, as does my only local friend with the game. They really screwed up making the Galarian forms version-exclusive. Although I did join a Rapidash raid online and caught that.

You can get all the fossils from the more skilled of the mining brothers, but obviously two of them will be quite rare.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 04:35:47 pm »

You can get all the fossils from the more skilled of the mining brothers, but obviously two of them will be quite rare.

this is good to know but surely it's easier to just trade w someone who has shield, esp. since you need three of each.

Also this is the first generation since gen 1 (aerodactyl, really) i've actually been interested in the fossil pokemon. def not "good" designs but more entertaining than most.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 05:16:01 pm »
+1

They are like a train wreck; you can’t look away.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 05:20:38 pm »
+1

They are like a train wreck; you can’t look away.

I read a thing that they're based on how early british archeologists would match up random bones and say they connected to basically make the most outlandish animals and uh they kinda nail that part of it

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 12:56:48 am »
+2

Well, I have Shield, and I can trade, although I need to recatch Icecue, I traded it at some point. Hit me on Discord @LaLight#0740

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 11:36:39 am »
+1

Definitely enjoying the game. Currently working on breeding a team of perfect IV Pokemon.

I have an extra 6 IV deino that hatched at the same time my other 6 IV deino hatched as well as an extra shiny (5 IVs) Magikarp from dynamax raids.

I am still working on my Pokedex, if you are interested I would love to trade for one of my holes. PM me if you are interested!
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 10:44:29 am »
+1

So an expansion pass, huh? That beats buying slightly updated games, but it still feels pricey.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 11:52:52 am »
+1

So an expansion pass, huh? That beats buying slightly updated games, but it still feels pricey.

So that was their master plan.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 05:12:27 pm »
+1

With the advent of Pokémon Home, I have finally ported up some decent Dittos and finished my team! Hit me up if you want to battle.

I should specify that it’s a team for doubles, the only format worth playing.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
+1

Never mind. Turns out I suck at Pokémon and am done playing forever.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 01:03:01 am »

well, I am the person who doesn't really do IV/EV breeding, it's too tedious for me. So I never played PvP and I guess my team would be destroyed by pretty much anyone :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:11 am »

For what it’s worth, dealing with IVs and EVs is far easier than ever before. I remember back in Gen 3 using IV calculators and trying to decide how good was good enough. So tedious. In Gen 8 my entire team has perfect IVs (except in their garbage attack stat, where applicable). It look probably about an hour to breed each one, on average. EV training is likewise very fast and I can just level to 50 with all the spare exp candies I have from raids.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 11:03:56 am »

For what it’s worth, dealing with IVs and EVs is far easier than ever before. I remember back in Gen 3 using IV calculators and trying to decide how good was good enough. So tedious. In Gen 8 my entire team has perfect IVs (except in their garbage attack stat, where applicable). It look probably about an hour to breed each one, on average. EV training is likewise very fast and I can just level to 50 with all the spare exp candies I have from raids.

Pokemon X and Y let you do EV training very early.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.