Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lessons learned  (Read 1348 times)

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +330
    • View Profile
Lessons learned
« on: November 14, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »
+1

I made a Google doc for lessons I've learned from recent Dominion games. Every time I lose and realize why, I write it in there. So far I've lost 11 games learning these tips...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VnX4IuOBXBdq6On6wwscS_7SyJZ5SviuAkexRf6OcB0/edit?usp=sharing

What lessons have you learned from losses? I will update this, hopefully not so regularly!
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 09:00:48 pm »
+3

Be sure to learn from your wins too

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 10:13:48 pm »
+1

Hey this is some helpful advice. Those niche cards are really good though. Menagerie is worth buying in almost every game, as is Peddler.

Worblehat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:15 pm »

Those niche cards are really good though. Menagerie is worth buying in almost every game, as is Peddler.

That was my reaction as well. Particularly for Fortress - odds are you'll want it just as a village, and if there's any kind of trash for benefit it's absolutely bonkers-good (the Grim Parade recommended set being a fun example).

To me a "super-niche card" would be something like Masterpiece or Beggar.

To answer Teamlyle's closing question, a corollary to "It can be beneficial to score if it prevents your opponent from building further." is that in multiplayer, people are going to buy VP earlier, so you have very limited time to build. Continuing to build the first time I hit $8 usually works, but trying that twice has always ended in losing badly since there just wasn't enough VP left to catch up.

Identify any key card(s) that are likely to pile quickly, and make sure to get your share of the split. Example, four player game, Port is the only village. Opening Port is totally reasonable in that situation, since it's the limiting factor on how good your engine can be, and they will run very quickly. That game, the two players experienced enough to know that opening with a normal village is generally bad didn't, and ended up with only two Ports apiece. We lost rather convincingly. :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.