Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New card Idea- Attic  (Read 2361 times)

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
New card Idea- Attic
« on: November 14, 2019, 03:55:29 pm »

Attic: cost 3 Treasure
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
Essentially a cellar that does not need an action.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: New card Idea- Attic
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:35:23 pm »

Cellar gives you +1 action already, so I'm not sure what you mean the difference is here.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »

You can play this card After a first card Council room.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »

Attic: cost 3 Treasure
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
Essentially a cellar that does not need an action.
Cellar is also non-terminal and sifting during the Action phase is better than during the Buy phase.
So your card is weaker players than Cellar (read: too weak at any price).

The only situation in which it is better than Cellar is something like Smithy - BM.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:19:01 pm »

Ah, okay. Your situation clarifies a little better what you meant. I think your card is not worded correctly--it would actually be a kind of card we haven't seen before, I think. Is this wording more what you mean?

Attic
Cost: 3 coins
Type: Action
Effect: Discard any number of cards, then draw that many. (This card takes 0 actions to play).

It's slightly interesting that you could play it after a draw card like Smithy or Council Room, but the fact that you'd still be out of actions and couldn't play any more actions is a big negative to that particular benefit (you could still play more Attics, I suppose, but you wouldn't be able to play other Actions). To mitigate that, you could make it something like this, but it would be a fair amount stronger:

Attic
Cost: 3 coins
Type: Action
Effect: +1 Action. Discard any number of cards, then draw that many. (This card takes 0 actions to play).

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:28:14 am »
+1

Attic is a Treasure.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:30:23 am »
+1

I think this could be ok if it also produced . Even then I think it would be somewhat on the weak side; but it would have its places. Maybe balanced at a cost of .

Normally the reason you use Cellar is to discard your victory and treasures to let you play more actions; which is where the real power of most decks lie. So this card would only be helpful in a deck that is mostly treasure, because every action card you draw with it is really bad (not only is it worthless now; but you've taken it out of next turn's hand and made it miss your shuffle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:36:22 am »

Ah, the type was unclear to me. I thought it was maybe a language issue and read it as "Cost: 3 Treasure" and not "Cost: 3, Treasure."

As a treasure, this card is even worse at a cost of 3 since all it basically does is sift for money and night cards with the big downside of always drawing actions dead, like GendoIkari mentions. I think Attic as a treasure would be fair at a cost of 2, even if it also produced 1 coin; it might be a little strong in money or night-focused decks (if there is such a thing), but I think that is okay.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:49:51 pm »

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure
Choose a number.  Discard that many cards from your hand, then draw that many cards.  If you do, replay Tin Roof, but you must choose a smaller number next time.

The wording was hard.
I thought this was cute though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 02:16:27 pm »

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure
Choose a number.  Discard that many cards from your hand, then draw that many cards.  If you do, replay Tin Roof, but you must choose a smaller number next time.

I choose the number 3857324752349578.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 03:19:32 pm »
+1

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure

You discard all cards from your hand.  Did you discard 3857324752349578 cards? You didn't, "if you do" is false.  You draw no cards and do not replay Tin Roof.
That's the same way Mercenary works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:21:14 pm by popsofctown »

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 03:22:54 pm »

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure

You discard all cards from your hand.  Did you discard 3857324752349578 cards? You didn't, "if you do" is false.  You draw no cards and do not replay Tin Roof.

Wait why do you draw no cards?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 03:49:59 pm »
+1

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure

Wait why do you draw no cards?
Yeah, the way that is written, you'd actually draw your entire deck.  There's no "if you do" before the draw clause, so you draw as many cards as possible (since obviously you can't actually draw 3857324752349578).  Since you did not draw 3857324752349578 cards, you don't replay it.  But you did get to draw all your cards
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 03:52:04 pm »

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure

Mercenary doesn't say "Trash two cards from your hand, then draw two cards. If you do, +$2 and each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »

I didn't write it the way I had it in my head.
Whoops!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 03:56:05 pm »

2$ Tin Roof
Treasure
Choose a number.  Discard that many cards from your hand.  If you do, draw that many cards, then replay Tin Roof, but you must choose a smaller number next time.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 20 queries.