Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Are there any rules about resignation on 3/4 player games?  (Read 1930 times)

saavedra29

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Are there any rules about resignation on 3/4 player games?
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »

Hello. Like in every other game i find it completely boring playing when there is only little chance winning. On online Dominion 1v1 i just resign  and hope the opponent is not getting upset.
Now on the physical game is there any rule on 3-4 player game when someone wants to resign? If not does it work just leaving his deck and letting the others continue normally?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any rules about resignation on 3/4 player games?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:30:41 pm »
+1

No rules are written about resignations in any format, technically. The game technically can't continue with a missing player, but I suppose you could just say that player takes no actions and buys nothing every turn, shuffling their deck if the contents of their hand / deck ever become important.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:36 pm »

Welcome to the forum!

Unlike certain games such as Magic: The Gathering; Dominion acts more like a standard board game. And in pretty much any euro game I'm familiar with, there are no rules dealing with resigning. Dominion specifically is generally such a short game I don't know why a person wouldn't just finish it out normally if playing IRL.

Online Dominion is somewhat different, as it tends to be more of a competitive thing, where players are playing to increase their rankings, and as such don't want to waste time in a game that they will end up losing anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Worblehat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:39 pm »

What people in my group sometimes do if they realize they're hopelessly behind is to focus on ending the game, possibly with a bit of kingmaking as well. If piles are low, they'll work on finishing that off. One memorable game, Contraband was the only +Buy, and all game long everyone had denied Province when it was played. Last turn of the game, active player plays his Contraband, player to his left denies Estate because there was one Province left, ending the game two turns early (I had $8 in hand for my turn, had I gotten to it...  :P ).

And of course one can always play towards a better finish. Better to finish 2nd than 3rd, even if one player has already run away with first place.

saavedra29

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 02:54:17 am »
+1

Thanks for the replies.
You gave me several ideas, like playing for the second position, or kingmaking.
Also the game is fairly fast so i could try just to be a little patient. I remember i played once Shogun for the first time and it was clear i would lose from the first hour. I played almost 2.5 hours feeling deadly bored because i didn't want to spoil the game quitting. Awful experience.
Nevertheless i'll try to avoid 3+ games from now on.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:54:55 am »
+1

Online Dominion is somewhat different, as it tends to be more of a competitive thing, where players are playing to increase their rankings, and as such don't want to waste time in a game that they will end up losing anyway.

That is not the reason why players are playing. Players are playing because it's fun to play, and as such don't want to waste time in a game that is already over and consists of pointless clicking instead of playing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 12:05:26 pm »
+1

If one player resigns, the other players starve to death.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.