Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: +Actions - Now or never?  (Read 6083 times)

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
+Actions - Now or never?
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:38:40 am »

Hi, I have a couple of boardgaming friends who are dead convinced that, when you play, say, a Village, you immediately play the 2 Action cards you intend to play with it and if you don't play 2, you lose the ability to use those +Actions forever, and this means that if you play a Smithy, you can't play Actions you drew off it. I need a bit of professional verification to convince them otherwise. Why are my friends wrong?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: +Actions - Now or never?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 05:44:38 am »
+4

Hi, I have a couple of boardgaming friends who are dead convinced that, when you play, say, a Village, you immediately play the 2 Action cards you intend to play with it and if you don't play 2, you lose the ability to use those +Actions forever, and this means that if you play a Smithy, you can't play Actions you drew off it. I need a bit of professional verification to convince them otherwise. Why are my friends wrong?

Because it says so in the rules of the game:

"+X Action(s)" – the player may play X number of additional Actions this
turn. +X Action(s) adds to the number of Actions that can be played in the
Action phase. It does not mean play another Action immediately.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:16:11 am »

Worth noting that this is probably the most common rules mistake for new players; the question pops up all the time. But as quoted above, the rulebook does try to be clear on this point.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 03:30:21 pm »

Worth noting that this is probably the most common rules mistake for new players; the question pops up all the time. But as quoted above, the rulebook does try to be clear on this point.

I've also seen "+" means you gain a copper" and "play cards to your discard pile" a lot, maybe more than this.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:23 am »
+1

I've also seen "+" means you gain a copper" and "play cards to your discard pile" a lot, maybe more than this.

"Play cards to your discard pile" happens super super often.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:02:53 am »

Also, play some treasures, buy something, play more treasures, use a second buy.
And gaining into play is almost as common as playing to discard.

Discarding face-down then mixing up deck and discard, putting one's hand on the table and confusing deck and hand, mixing up discarding and trashing.

Last weekend, I saw "+1 Cards" misinterpreted as "gain two cards", which is especially broken...

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:17 am »

At least with the people I play with, playing cards to your discard pile was probably (and still is sometimes) the most common "mistake," often done when it doesn't make a difference anyways. When it does make a difference (improve, scheme, etc.), people usually play correctly.

Another somewhat annoying mistake I haven't seen mentioned so far is some of the people I play with don't play their treasures at all--they quickly reveal them when they're buying something instead. I've also had some people go the other way and play both their treasures and victory cards into the play area.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:55:29 pm »

Another somewhat annoying mistake I haven't seen mentioned so far is some of the people I play with don't play their treasures at all--they quickly reveal them when they're buying something instead.

Pretty much all the experienced groups I play with do this. It’s simply to make the game go faster. They know to not do it when it makes a difference.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »

Another somewhat annoying mistake I haven't seen mentioned so far is some of the people I play with don't play their treasures at all--they quickly reveal them when they're buying something instead.

Pretty much all the experienced groups I play with do this. It’s simply to make the game go faster. They know to not do it when it makes a difference.

That's probably fair for your group; I feel like the people I play with miscount often enough that I don't want them to do it, though. They're relatively experienced, but they're also prone to making small mistakes fairly often, hence why I also don't like people playing cards into the discard pile--they'll sometimes forget that it makes a difference to have certain cards in their play area.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 11:02:55 pm »

When I was newer, I thought you could make an infinite loop with Throne Room and Harbinger by having 2 copies of each - you would Throne the first Harbinger (playing into discard), drawing 2 cards and topdecking the just played Throne and Harbinger, then play another Throned Harbinger, draw the other 2, topdecking the second Throne-Harbinger pair, rinse and repeat. There were 2 mistakes I was making: 1) Cards aren't played to the discard and 2) throning something doesn't double its effects instead of playing it twice in succession. I've moved on since then.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:50:26 am »
+1

When I was newer, I thought you could make an infinite loop with Throne Room and Harbinger by having 2 copies of each - you would Throne the first Harbinger (playing into discard), drawing 2 cards and topdecking the just played Throne and Harbinger, then play another Throned Harbinger, draw the other 2, topdecking the second Throne-Harbinger pair, rinse and repeat. There were 2 mistakes I was making: 1) Cards aren't played to the discard and 2) throning something doesn't double its effects instead of playing it twice in succession. I've moved on since then.

In our first game of Dominion with a friend, he played Throne - Throne - Throne - Workshop and gained 8 cards.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 01:47:22 pm »

In our first game of Dominion with a friend, he played Throne - Throne - Throne - Workshop and gained 8 cards.

When my family and I started playing Dominion, we mistakenly thought that if you revealed two treasures other than copper with Bandit, you trashed *both* of them.  It was a relief to discover we'd misread that!
They/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.