Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Missing Nocturne Curser  (Read 3059 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
The Missing Nocturne Curser
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:18 am »
+2

Night Witch
Type: Night - Attack - Duration
Cost: $5

Each other player with at least four cards in their hand discards one. Each other player gains a curse to their hand

At the beginning of your next turn, you may trash one card from your hand for every card you gained on this turn

This combines a discard attack with a cursing attack.  Like Sea Hag, there's no immediate advantage to the person who played it, but it does have a benefit on your next turn, essentially a delayed Monastery.  You gain a curse whether or not you discarded, but you can't end up discarding below three cards
They/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Nocturne Curser
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:37:45 am »

You are right that there is no straightforward Curser in Nocturne but Idol and all the Doom cards do distribute Curses.
About your card, it looks pretty cool and balanced.

LordClockworks

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:48 pm »
+3

I see an issue as a tabletop player: it does not track the amount of trashing, so people will forget and lie about how much they can trash when playing physical dominion.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:21:37 pm »

I see an issue as a tabletop player: it does not track the amount of trashing, so people will forget and lie about how much they can trash when playing physical dominion.

Ah, that's a good point.  Monastery works similarly, but since you're trashing on the same turn it's easier to catch if someone's lying about how many cards they gained, so perhaps the trashing part should be changed to a fixed number of cards
They/them

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:24:02 pm »
+6

How is Idol not a "straightforward Curser"? It repeatable distributes Curses when you achieve a relatively common condition. Nocturne undeniably has a Curser in the set already.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:50:53 am »

That's no worse than Treasure Hunter or Smugglers, really.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 12:48:12 pm »

I think it would be more simple to trash in the same turn from you hand or cards in play. So night witch is a non duration card.
Here is an example (german version).

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:59:17 pm by herw »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 03:53:50 pm »
+1

Yeah, but those have to work that way, this one really doesn't.  This could just trigger at the end of cleanup.  Then it wouldn't be a duration and wouldn't get stuck in play which would nudge its power up, which is the direction I think it needs to go, I think it's a little on the weak side.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 05:08:35 pm »

Yeah, but those have to work that way, this one really doesn't.  This could just trigger at the end of cleanup.  Then it wouldn't be a duration and wouldn't get stuck in play which would nudge its power up, which is the direction I think it needs to go, I think it's a little on the weak side.
You're probably right.  This card went through several versions, and the duration part was left over from an earlier idea about a kind of "retroactive moat" that I couldn't find a good balance for.  So, the idea was you could trash a curse that another player had given you right away, among other things, but it was way too complicated, and its power level was very much dependent on what other attacks (if any) existed.  After I abandoned that idea, I kinda overlooked the fact that the duration effect no longer made sense
They/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 05:44:43 am »
+1

There is a reason the game lacks a straightforward non-terminal Curser except for Familiar which is expensive. So no, if you undo the Duration nerf this Card becomes too strong.
All non-terminal Cursers need a drawback, be it Potion cost,conditionality or Duration like in this instance.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:07:40 am »

iunno, this way it plays "better" with Dungeon / Hireling / Transmute / "at the beginning of your turn" stuff

Amuzet

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:31 am »

This conversation is all well and good, but the biggest flaw of this card is that it was not named "Witching Hour"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.