Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67  All

Author Topic: BM27: Bad Idea Mafia- Game Over, Everyone Loses!  (Read 168836 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: BM27: Bad Idea Mafia (Day Five)
« Reply #1625 on: December 11, 2019, 08:27:00 pm »

Fun fact:

Glooble & I were partners in this game & Joth’s. He started to kinda mention it (“Hey, scum together again!” sort of thing) in the scum QT of Joth’s game, and I was super paranoid about a third partner or somebody in this game getting access to our QT there. 😝 I think I played it off pretty well at the time, but I was sweating for a minute or two!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 11, 2019, 08:31:46 pm »

I should have picked Alien!

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 11, 2019, 08:55:30 pm »

I told myself my preferences were Alien>Town>Scum

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 11, 2019, 09:16:59 pm »

Good game y'all

Sorry I cured you LaLight
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 11, 2019, 10:03:19 pm »

Fun fact:

Glooble & I were partners in this game & Joth’s. He started to kinda mention it (“Hey, scum together again!” sort of thing) in the scum QT of Joth’s game, and I was super paranoid about a third partner or somebody in this game getting access to our QT there. 😝 I think I played it off pretty well at the time, but I was sweating for a minute or two!

Glooble immediately realized this and texted me, but I knew there was no one in that QT who was alive in this game, so I told him it was ok. That was a good save by you though. I noticed.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 12, 2019, 12:55:06 am »

Good game y'all

Well, no problem, it was your job!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 12, 2019, 01:36:41 am »

Fun fact: I went to the real psychiatrist this Sunday for the first time, so I can definitely say I am not a Serial Killer irl, sleep safely

Also let's run this setup again! Loads of fun. I got to be an SK the second time in my mafia career and this time it went plenty better than the last. I had a real chance at winning and it warms me.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 12, 2019, 01:55:02 am »

Thanks for hosting this ADK

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 12, 2019, 02:21:37 am »

Thank you so much for playing everyone, I'm glad that people liked it!

Mod QT

ADK,

That was so much fun! I love the setup and would play it over and over! So much variety!

Thank you for hosting!

How was Modding with your schedule? Everything seemed great on my end!

Modding worked out surprisingly well for my schedule, even without a co-mod. I was able to do more than I expected on mobile.

Setup thoughts:

It's a fun setup but I don't know how much it would hold up over multiple plays, I think it's better as a once-in-awhile novelty than something you run back-to-back. That said, if someone runs it again in the near future I would probably play.

I think we were lucky in that we ended up with relatively balanced setup; there was a lot of scum, but no team was particularly strong, and town had a lot of useful PRs. It could have ended up very differently depending on how people picked, however, and I think if you played the setup a lot you'd have to suffer some pretty rough games (as any alignment).

I mentioned in the speccy that there are some decisions regarding how roles work that I would change or revise. Here's what I remember being issues:

-governors shouldn't able to self-govern IMO, I just neglected to word the ability as "another player" instead of "a player" and it wouldn't have been fair to change it after the game had started
-I should have established some set time for twilight to last so that governors getting to use their ability isn't based on whether they happen to log on during twilight, the trouble is doing that means you have to always do that even if there are no governors to obfuscate whether they're present. You could also change how the governor ability works, the mafiascum wiki PM says they have to declare their protection before the lynch happens but I changed that based on how the role worked in previous games I had played. Maybe their way is better?
-I changed lyncher so they lost if their target died without being lynched but the original has them convert to VT. I feel my change gives the role more impact because you have to really try for the lynch but maybe it just makes it too unappealing to ever pick
-masons should get daychat, that was one thing I actually regretting sticking with the mafiascum rule. It's just more fun to be able to talk during the day
-I would look into a more intuitive way to deal with both the vanilliaser and the vanilla cop. Should vanilla cop get a "vanilla" result on players who have been vanillaised? Should converted SKs or the converted alien sympathizer count as literal VTs, or should they be named townies and flip as "Town Alien Sympathizer" and "Town Converted Serial Killer" or something like that? Should the vanilliaser remove the nymphomaniac's lover status? How about if they target the nymphomaniac's target?
-Should conversion happen regardless if the targeted player is night killed? My understanding of how night actions are usually resolved says yes, but it does seem a little bogus to have your win condition tied to an alignment you were never actually playing
-I would like to set up the compulsive childkiller in such a way that a scum dayvig could conceivably fakeclaim it. Maybe that's a pipe dream
-My version of the Mafia Compulsive Hider differs from the mafiascum version in that their version acts as having the Weak modifier (dies if they target scum), but it's not labeled as such so I changed it. The weak version might be better but should be advertised as such. Also I let space kill and hide at the same time which was maybe a little OP

There's probably other issues involving roles that weren't in this game, so if you want to run this setup in the future, get ready for that I guess

In my mind Galz and Eddie are tied for MVP. Thanks for playing everyone!
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 12, 2019, 09:02:08 am »

Good game y'all

Well, no problem, it was your job!
In Modern Community I was a nerfed SK in a game as big as this one, so I claimed psychiatrist hoping to be counter-claimed. It didn't work, though.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: December 12, 2019, 11:15:21 am »

Fun fact: I went to the real psychiatrist this Sunday for the first time, so I can definitely say I am not a Serial Killer irl, sleep safely

Also let's run this setup again! Loads of fun. I got to be an SK the second time in my mafia career and this time it went plenty better than the last. I had a real chance at winning and it warms me.

Congrats and I hope you mesh well!  Keep it up!  (Also, thanks for the assurance but Serial Killers usually don't admit to it sooooo...)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 12, 2019, 12:06:54 pm »

Serial Killers usually don't admit to it

I mean, I think Joseph would disagree.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 12, 2019, 12:42:48 pm »

In my understanding raerae would have flipped as a VT, I believe the role itself changes.

No ideas how that interacts with statuses given to other players.

I feel like self targeted governors are not necessarily OP, but definitely less interesting. I worry that the baddie versions might be too weak otherwise, but who knows. It becomes a different kind of role entirely.

Thanks for running the game, ADK (and the MVP).

Also thanks to MiX for dragging me into this game against my will.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 12, 2019, 12:48:13 pm »

regarding a few of those decisions.  I feel like raerae's power was to add a "lover" modifier to another player.  If raerae is then Vanillaized, her target still has the Lover modifier (though she has lost hers). 

Like what if a town-parrot targets the vanilla-izer?  Then the Vanilla-izer gets vanilla-ized, but I wouldn't expect all their previous targets to regain abilities. 

I also think that Space shouldn't be able to kill/hide at the same time; that works similar to voluntary scum powers (either use power OR kill, unless you're the last of your kind).  Not sure on the "Weak" modifier on the hider; I never realized that the weak modifier was "standard" on Hider.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 12, 2019, 12:51:14 pm »

Also thinking, I would definitely play this setup again; part of what made it amazing was the huge number of people playing.  Super overwhelming on Day1, but with 4 deaths, that narrows down fast.  With a smaller #, there would be more single-person teams, and it might feel less like a big ol' mafia game.

BUT...DEFINITELY, we cannot run this setup a whole bunch of times, or back-to-back.  Maybe we could make it a yearly thing?  Maybe again in the summer?  I would not want this setup to become over-played, or for 20+ people to commit to playing this frequently.

With that said, maybe we can brainstorm some of the weirder interactions and come up with a consensus on how those edge-cases should be handled?

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 12, 2019, 01:36:50 pm »

regarding a few of those decisions.  I feel like raerae's power was to add a "lover" modifier to another player.  If raerae is then Vanillaized, her target still has the Lover modifier (though she has lost hers). 

Like what if a town-parrot targets the vanilla-izer?  Then the Vanilla-izer gets vanilla-ized, but I wouldn't expect all their previous targets to regain abilities. 

I also think that Space shouldn't be able to kill/hide at the same time; that works similar to voluntary scum powers (either use power OR kill, unless you're the last of your kind).  Not sure on the "Weak" modifier on the hider; I never realized that the weak modifier was "standard" on Hider.

But then it's neither here nor there because who dies if that person dies with the modifier?  I no longer had it so they'd be #foreveralone. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 12, 2019, 03:09:43 pm »

But then it's neither here nor there because who dies if that person dies with the modifier?  I no longer had it so they'd be #foreveralone.

I've seen one-way lovers before.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 12, 2019, 03:23:10 pm »

Me too. You know I always tell them it's a toxic relationship and they should get out, but they don't listen and they just end up getting hurt.

He/him

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 12, 2019, 03:24:54 pm »

Me too. You know I always tell them it's a toxic relationship and they should get out, but they don't listen and they just end up getting hurt.

You could never tell me to stop loving you, Joth:
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 12, 2019, 03:36:33 pm »

Look if dayvigging a cop on day 1 didn't work and trolling my players with a townless mafia setup didn't work, I guess the love of this community is hard to shake.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 12, 2019, 03:38:13 pm »

Look if dayvigging a cop on day 1 didn't work and trolling my players with a townless mafia setup didn't work, I guess the love of this community is hard to shake.

You dayvigged someone that people have a tendency to dislike, so that didn't help your endgoal.

At least that's what it looks like. Poor Awaclus.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:46 pm »

Who dislikes Awaclus??  He's great!

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 12, 2019, 04:49:41 pm »

Yeah!  It's not like he's shraeye!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 12, 2019, 05:18:34 pm »

Who dislikes Awaclus??  He's great!

I actually respect Awaclus’s logic a lot. His play can certainly seem irksome to some, but there’s method to his madness. Love Awaclus!

Yeah!  It's not like he's shraeye!

Oh now HIM... HE’S just the worst.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 13, 2019, 09:37:23 am »

-I would look into a more intuitive way to deal with both the vanilliaser and the vanilla cop. Should vanilla cop get a "vanilla" result on players who have been vanillaised?

As a former vanilla cop, I think being able to check on claims of having been vanillaized would be a decent use of the role, since it is otherwise not very useful.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.