Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: may look  (Read 1483 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
may look
« on: November 04, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »
+1

Native Village has "you may look at any time" in its text, while Haven doesn't. But I can look at the set asided card(s) at any time. What is the difference? Is it a Constitution of Dominion?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: may look
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:38:55 pm »
+2

Native Village doesn't let you look at your top card before you choose to put it on your mat. You can only look at it once it's on your mat; so that text is there to clarify the fact that you can now look at it.

Haven doesn't need that clarification though, because you can always look at your hand.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 03:48:57 am »

I guess the difference could also be more due to "layout space on Haven is tight". Also, a quick search through the Seaside rulebook (2E) does not seem to give a general rule for looking at set aside cards, this seems to be always explained in the card specific sections.

So with the intent to have players needing to consult the rulebook as little as possible, putting the "you may look" text on Native Village makes sense, as the player doesn't know which card they set aside until after the fact. If you are unsure, you might think you only find out what the cards are when you take them into your hand later (a mistake I made for Research, for example).

For Haven, the ability to look at the card is just a way to remind you what you put under it, it's not strictly new information. Nevertheless the rulebook spells it out under the section for Haven.

So the difference I think is based on a combination of what text would nicely fit on the card and where it was likely to clear up confusion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:03:23 am by Ingix »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:44:03 am »

I think the others are right; it just "feels" much more likely that a player might think that they aren't allowed to look at the cards on the Native Village mat; because you don't know what's there unless you look.

Another difference is that knowing what is on your Native Village mat is often an important piece of information that is going to affect how you play; while knowing what is set aside for Haven should rarely matter.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:19 am »

Sadly when you clarify something on one card and not another, it creates this rules question. But the only difference here is how much it seemed like the clarification was needed at the time.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.