Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tormentor  (Read 2000 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Tormentor
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:40 pm »

+1 Action token on Tormentor
I played a Tormentor.
I played another.

1. Do I gain an Imp? Or hex other players?
2. How about playing Tormentor via Overlord?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Tormentor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:07:36 pm »
+1

I'm not sure I understand the confusion--did you mean something other than the +1 action token? That just gives you an extra action after playing Tormentor.

For the first tormentor, you have no other cards in play and so you gain in Imp.

For the second tormentor, you do have other cards in play (the other Tormentor), so the other players get a hex.

"Other" cards means any cards in the play area at the time of resolution other than that specific copy of Tormentor.

Tormentor via Overlord changed recently because of the changes to how Overlord works--now, if you play Tormentor via Overlord, the other players get a hex. This is because the Tormentor is played from the supply and left there in the supply--you do have other cards in play: the Overlord.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:17:33 pm »

So, "the other cards" is not "non-Tormentor cards", right?

When I resolve a Tormentor, if I have...

nothing in play (I don't know how to play a Tormentor without putting any cards on play.) or 1 Tormentor only,

I gain an Imp, and otherwise I hex others, right?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 01:37:51 am »
+1

So, "the other cards" is not "non-Tormentor cards", right?

Correct, "other cards" means cards other than that particular Tormentor whose instructions you are reading.

When I resolve a Tormentor, if I have...

nothing in play (I don't know how to play a Tormentor without putting any cards on play.) or 1 Tormentor only,

I gain an Imp, and otherwise I hex others, right?

Yes, this is all correct. I could be missing some odd edge case, but there probably isn't a way to play a Tormentor without putting anything in play, especially with the recent rule change.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:13:58 am »
+7

Yes, this is all correct. I could be missing some odd edge case, but there probably isn't a way to play a Tormentor without putting anything in play, especially with the recent rule change.

Ferry on Tormentor. Play Captain, then buy Bonfire to trash it that same turn. At the beginning of the next turn, you play a Tormentor from the supply, leaving it there: you have zero cards in play.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

apostolosoruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: Apostolosoruler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 07:53:16 am »

With the new errata overlord as tormentor (first cards played) gives hex. since it counts as overlord and then tormentor.

Another interesting case (like the bonfire above) is playing experiments first, which also gives you imp.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 09:58:32 am »

With the new errata overlord as tormentor (first cards played) gives hex. since it counts as overlord and then tormentor.

Another interesting case (like the bonfire above) is playing experiments first, which also gives you imp.

The point of the Bonfire/Captain example was that it is a way to have 0 cards in play when executing Tormentor's instructions. Your example still has the Tormentor itself being in play; which is really in no way different than just playing a Tormentor first.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 02:36:01 pm »
+2

It gives a hex, but not for the reason you are saying. It doesn't count as both cards at once. It only counts as Overlord. The Tormentor, which is played but not put *into* play, checks for "other cards", sees the Overlord, and then gives a Hex.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.