Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: modded Wild Hunt  (Read 1595 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
modded Wild Hunt
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:18:39 am »
+1

Two of the cards I hate are Wild Hunt and Farmer's Market. mandioca15 recently posted a card that I think works well as a replacement for Farmer's Market, so I thought I'd come up with a replacement for Wild Hunt. I kind of turned it into a crossover Empires/Nocturne card...

(modded) Wild Hunt
- Action - Night
If it's your action phase: +3 Cards.
If it's your night phase: Receive the next boon.
Either way, you may put a card from your hand onto your deck to take a token from here.
-
Setup: This pile starts with 6 per player.

PS: Anyone know if there was a particular reason why there were no Night cards that gave boons in Nocturne?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: modded Wild Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:54:40 am »
+1

Two of the cards I hate are Wild Hunt and Farmer's Market. mandioca15 recently posted a card that I think works well as a replacement for Farmer's Market, so I thought I'd come up with a replacement for Wild Hunt. I kind of turned it into a crossover Empires/Nocturne card...

(modded) Wild Hunt
- Action - Night
Either way, you may put a card from your hand onto your deck to take a token from here.
-

PS: Anyone know if there was a particular reason why there were no Night cards that gave boons in Nocturne?

I'm like rationalizing here but I think it was partially DXV wanted some simpler cards in the set (after the complexity of Empires) and because a chunk of the Boons are awkward to receive after your buy phase (Earth's Gift, Field's Gift, Flames Gift, Forest's Gift, Sea's Gift), which means they'd have to be phrased like Blessed Village, which adds more text.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:03:09 am »
+1

(modded) Wild Hunt
- Action - Night
-

I like the original Wild Hunt better. This comes with a fixed supply of VPs and behaves a bit like a Landmark on a card. You can play with it fairly solitaire-ish. Sure, keep the decks of the other folks in mind and think about how often they want to topdeck for VPs to judge how quickly the VPs will empty but that's it.

Wild Hunt on the other hand comes with a player-driven supply of VPs and is far more interactive which is, at least to me, the main appeal of the card, as well as all other Gathering cards in general.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:10:08 am »
+2

Emphasis added
Guardian: Early on the set had a village that went into your next hand. I just told you about that. It was great so I thought I should try a second card like that, and the obvious concept was a Moat. At first it was a pure Reaction that was set aside for your next hand when you got it, and came with a Gold; then the Gold idea went on Skulk, and Guardian changed to be a Night card that gave you a Boon next turn, and went to your hand when gained. The Boon was too slow (since playing Guardian doesn't use up an Action), so now it just gives you +$1.
If you make a Fate Night card, you should ensure that it has some other effect that disincentivizes playing multiple of them.
Your Wild Hunt might be fine because it costs $5 and you'd rather draw 3 cards than receive a Boon.  I like the original Wild Hunt more though.  It is both semantically simpler and more compelling for its unique effect.

(Considering the above quote though, I don't know how Fool made it through testing if a weak Night card that gave 1 Boon didn't make it.)
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:13:03 am »
+2

Just go over them: Earth, Field, Forest, Wind and to some degree Sky suck (i.e. do nothing) at Night.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 07:07:23 pm »

(modded) Wild Hunt
- Action - Night
-

I like the original Wild Hunt better. This comes with a fixed supply of VPs and behaves a bit like a Landmark on a card. You can play with it fairly solitaire-ish. Sure, keep the decks of the other folks in mind and think about how often they want to topdeck for VPs to judge how quickly the VPs will empty but that's it.

Wild Hunt on the other hand comes with a player-driven supply of VPs and is far more interactive which is, at least to me, the main appeal of the card, as well as all other Gathering cards in general.
The official Wild Hunt (and Farmer's Market) are interactive in a bad way. not fun to me at all.

Just go over them: Earth, Field, Forest, Wind and to some degree Sky suck (i.e. do nothing) at Night.
Hmmm, yeah, maybe it could say receive the boon at the start of your next turn. It's already pretty wordy though.
OTOH, I'm of the opinion that there's no real need to print "Setup" parts on fan cards.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:09:23 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:45:51 pm »

Sea is also rarely good here, and Flame is nerfed. For it to work at all, it would have to be a Duration effect.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:35 pm »
+1

Sea is also rarely good here, and Flame is nerfed. For it to work at all, it would have to be a Duration effect.
eh, it could be a pseudo duration like the on-buy of Blessed Village
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.