Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: ShadowHawk's Attempts at Homebrew Dominion cards  (Read 10961 times)

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowHawk's Attempts at Homebrew Dominion cards
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:41 pm »
+1

This is... monstrously strong, if I've got it right. Gaining $5 cards and trashing coppers in the Night phase? Yes please.

Agreed, I misread spineflu's input. Switched to trashing an Action you have in play.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:43 pm »

For Line of Credit, how about this:

Gain an Action card from the Supply that only has $ in its cost. Receive @ equal to the cost of the card +@2.

Wordy?

For Manoralism:

During your Buy phase, Victory cards may be played to produce $1 each.
I think that works for Line of Credit; for Manoralism, you've still got the problem that cards-in-play trashers aren't designed to deal with green, and also consider what Mill or Nobles would do in that situation.

Then we go with a hand reveal

Reveal your hand. For every Victory card in your hand, +$1.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:01 pm »

There is, in fact, something in Empires that turns $ into Debt: it's called Capital. It also costs $5, so $0 is way too cheap for this.

This is basically Secret Chamber turned into a Project, without the Reaction. Secret Chamber was cut mostly because it wasn't as useful as it seemed. The game continues to favor strategies with short Green periods. I suspect this will have a similar problem.

How is making Victory cards produce $1 similar to Secret Chamber? I'm not making the connection.

Capital is a bit different. Being a Treasure and its mechanism leads to synergies with cards like Mandarin. This is a much more direct and boring approach. You can get an Action card but split its price over a turn (although I think I'm going to add +2 Debt to the total cost).

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 12:16:53 am »

Updated cards are now in the first post.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:12 pm »

What about something like this? I'm not aware of a group remodler.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:12 pm »

I made a card like Line of Credit for the weekly design contest once:

Commonwealth
Event - @2
Gain a card costing up to $6. Take @ equal to its cost in coins.

That seemed like a clean way to make the card, but it was never playtested because I don’t have the time
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »

I made a card like Line of Credit for the weekly design contest once:

Commonwealth
Event - @2
Gain a card costing up to $6. Take @ equal to its cost in coins.

That seemed like a clean way to make the card, but it was never playtested because I don’t have the time

Yes! That's the one I was thinking of. I think making the Event itself cost @2 is a a cleaner way than adding +@2 in the text. (and I can't see any obvious difference)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 03:28:38 pm »

mail-mi, thank you for letting me know. I looked it up. YEah, same idea just you have the player pay $2 upfront, I'm tagging the $2 to the debt. Technically the same since it's rare for a player to have $0 in hand.

Maybe to make the interest vary with the purchase, I can use some unorthodox card text.

$2 = 3 Debt
$3 = 5 Debt
$4 = 6 Debt
$5 = 8 debt
$6 = 9 debt
$7 = 11 debt
$8 = 12 debt

Bad idea or better?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 03:57:40 pm »
+1

bad idea - no one likes fractions.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »
+1

How is making Victory cards produce $1 similar to Secret Chamber? I'm not making the connection.

Playing a card for $1 is, the majority of the time, exactly the same as discarding it for $1.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:46 am »

Playing a card for $1 is, the majority of the time, exactly the same as discarding it for $1.

I follow that. Still don't follow how that is similar to Secret Chamber. Maybe I'm dense.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 10:45:29 am »

I follow that. Still don't follow how that is similar to Secret Chamber. Maybe I'm dense.

If you play a Secret Chamber, you can discard (similar to play) victory cards to produce each. If you buy Manorialism, you can play (similar to discard) victory cards to produce each.

In other words, Manorialism could almost read "at the start of each of your buy phases, discard any number of cards for each." AKA "at the start of each of your buy phases, resolve the effects of playing a Secret Chamber."

A wording issue with Manorialism... it doesn't allow Victory Cards to be played. It just says what happens if they do get played. That's easily fixed by either making Victory cards into Treasures (similar to Capitalism), or just saying "you may play victory cards". It seems like it would be potentially confusing with action-victory cards that already do other things though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:47:40 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 10:56:26 am »

bad idea - no one likes fractions.

So sad.

Looking at the Debt cards in Empires, 8 Debt seems to be equal to $6, so I'll stick with "equal to 2 more than the cost"

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 10:58:22 am »

If you play a Secret Chamber, you can discard (similar to play) victory cards to produce each. If you buy Manorialism, you can play (similar to discard) victory cards to produce each.

In other words, Manorialism could almost read "at the start of each of your buy phases, discard any number of cards for each." AKA "at the start of each of your buy phases, resolve the effects of playing a Secret Chamber."

A wording issue with Manorialism... it doesn't allow Victory Cards to be played. It just says what happens if they do get played. That's easily fixed by either making Victory cards into Treasures (similar to Capitalism), or just saying "you may play victory cards". It seems like it would be potentially confusing with action-victory cards that already do other things though.

Sorry, I thought he was referring to my version, not the old one.

I see now. Yeah...and trying to convert the VP points into $ would likely be broken. Will rethink.

Edit: So what if I did do that, make the listed VP amount have a worth equal to it? Raise the price to $8. So a player has to decide to skip the Province buy for the extra coin to later buy more Provinces.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:10:06 am by ShadowHawk »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:24 pm »
+2

Sorry, I thought he was referring to my version, not the old one.

I see now. Yeah...and trying to convert the VP points into $ would likely be broken. Will rethink.

Edit: So what if I did do that, make the listed VP amount have a worth equal to it? Raise the price to $8. So a player has to decide to skip the Province buy for the extra coin to later buy more Provinces.

I think it sounds like a neat concept; though you need to figure out how to deal with variable-worth VP cards. If it's not too boring; you could simply limit it to Province/Duchy/Estate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 12:59:49 pm »

What about something like this? I'm not aware of a group remodler.
Governor is one.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
+1

Sorry for the delayed replies. Out of town on business.

@spineflu - noted. That said, is averaging the cost too much math for a game?

@GendoIkari - Yeah, limiting it to the basics would make it easier to deal with. Since posting though, I've thought about it and I wonder if it's worth giving a bonus to a player for buying what they were likely going to buy anyway (Province) and if the ability should be limited to Duchies and maybe Estates. Course this just makes them a very similar variant of Harem.

An idea I've been considering is if revealing Estates and Duchies in your hand could have a Bridge effect instead..capping it at 2, maybe 3.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:34 am »
+1

Sorry for the delayed replies. Out of town on business.

@spineflu - noted. That said, is averaging the cost too much math for a game?

I mean, yeah. probably. Not if it were a computer-implemented card only but irl, everyone else would be booing, "we don't wanna do math, just say the number!" Also you'd probably want to change the wording to specify cost in coins so you don't have to figure out what half a potion means.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:32:16 am by spineflu »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »

Going to try this instead after feedback:

Each player (including you) reveals a card from their hand. Note the highest cost of the cards revealed. You may trash a card you have in play or in hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 more than it. Then all other players may trash a card from their hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 less than it.

The phrase "note the highest cost of the cards revealed." Was made so that the following sentences could refer to "it" rather than type that twice.

Okay, so now Estates and Duchies can act like Bridges, but to get this you need to pass up on buying a Province.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »

So this is a new card.

I wanted to make a Treasure that could toy with Supply-Demand after seeing Tejayes's Rare Earth winner in Design Contest #4. This is my third take on it. To emulate the speculation crash of the Dutch Tulip madness, players can time the plays for big payouts but then someone is going to have to trash their cards.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 02:26:17 pm »

Each player (including you) reveals a card from their hand. Note the highest cost of the cards revealed. You may trash a card you have in play or in hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 more than it. Then all other players may trash a card from their hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 less than it.

The phrase "note the highest cost of the cards revealed." Was made so that the following sentences could refer to "it" rather than type that twice.

Okay, so now Estates and Duchies can act like Bridges, but to get this you need to pass up on buying a Province.

Feast needs to say something along the lines of "highest cost in ." Neither Overlord nor Estate cost more nor less than the other, so just "highest cost" is undefined in cases like that.

Manorialism needs to be rephrased, because as worded, you could just keep revealing the same Estate over and over again to make all cards free. Here's my suggested wording:
"Once during your turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. All cards cost less per card revealed for the rest of the turn."*
*Doesn't need the "but not less than " clause due to the recent errata.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:27:57 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »

So this is a new card.

I wanted to make a Treasure that could toy with Supply-Demand after seeing Tejayes's Rare Earth winner in Design Contest #4. This is my third take on it. To emulate the speculation crash of the Dutch Tulip madness, players can time the plays for big payouts but then someone is going to have to trash their cards.

Is it intentional that Tulips counts other players' Tulips?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 02:31:13 pm »

So this is a new card.

Is it intentional that Tulips counts other players' Tulips?

Yes

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »

Feast needs to say something along the lines of "highest cost in ." Neither Overlord nor Estate cost more nor less than the other, so just "highest cost" is undefined in cases like that.

Manorialism needs to be rephrased, because as worded, you could just keep revealing the same Estate over and over again to make all cards free. Here's my suggested wording:
"Once during your turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. All cards cost less per card revealed for the rest of the turn."*
*Doesn't need the "but not less than " clause due to the recent errata.

Thanks mate.

So I'm confused. Official cards never clarify the cost regarding potions or debt. I've always understood it that potion costs and debt costs don't factor in such cases. The wiki states such costs are orthogonal and have no official equivalency. So why does this keep popping up in comments on the board? Is this just a preference in the community? I'm late to this board so some things are still over my head in the community's ideas. Anyway, I'll phrase it as you said, "highest cost in coins ($)" to make it clear.

For Manoralism, how would this language work? "Once per turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. If you do, cards cost $1 less per card revealed, but not less than $0." The beginning clause is used in some Events, and it would be really odd to execute this on another player's turn. I'm going to keep the end clause and wait till I see it changed in the Digital game.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 03:24:59 pm »

Two more new ones, this below is from the most recently concluded contest regarding Command cards.

So different approach than the one I submitted. After making changes based on what majiponi said, it was basically a Band of Minions. Assembly by Gazbag was my favorite card, so I liked the idea of a Throne Room element.

Play up to two different Action cards from the Supply that have Student tokens on them, leaving them there.
-
When you gain this, put a Student token on a non-Command Action Supply pile costing up to $4.

So it does not permit a throne room double play, as you need to play two different cards or just play one. The token mechanism slows the card down, which I'm hoping justifies the cards's cost being at $4 instead of $5. Still very Band of Minions-ish, but the double play makes it more effective once you have two tokens out.

Partly related to Scholasticus is a Woodcutter-Potion-Black Market variant:

So you have 12 Kingdom cards instead of 10, but only 2 of those are available for purchase or gaining when Foreign Merchants is in play. This shifting of 2 piles from Supply and out of it allows for some interesting combos, but there is likely a problem with a card or five that I'm missing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:35:58 pm by ShadowHawk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.