Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: ShadowHawk's Attempts at Homebrew Dominion cards  (Read 10963 times)

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
ShadowHawk's Attempts at Homebrew Dominion cards
« on: October 11, 2019, 01:15:54 pm »

I love the knowledge and feedback of the locals of this board. I have two regular game groups that I play Dominion with and finding the random card generator(s) here has been fun. After mentioning it at my last game, a friend of mine with the 1st editions asked if I could try to come up with versions of the cut cards that might be more interesting to play. This is my attempt. My goals were to maintain theme and keep the card close to what I think Donald X was going for based on his comments on the card. I've used knew mechanics from other expansions to try to help without being overly complicated. Feedback is much appreciated before I start printing test copies.

Edit: Now includes all the cards posted. Moved the commentary to the post below.

Most updated card versions in this post.

Alternate Base

Alternate Intrigue

Events

Projects

Tricks
Tricks are a hybrid of Night and Event types. They are played like Events in that they are outside of the Kingdom cards and available to all Players. Unlike Events, they don't have a cost associated with them. As such, they are restricted to once per turn. Effects need to either be conditional or carry a penalty.

Kingdom Cards (no theme at this time)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:23:20 pm by ShadowHawk »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowHawk's Attempts at Homebrew Dominion cards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:40 pm »

Chancellor
Original: +$2. You may immediately put your deck into your discard pile.
New: +$1 . You may put your deck into your discard pile. Look through your discard pile to put one Treasure from it into your hand, your choice.

Awaclus's comment made me rethink this. I decreased the original $ bonus and lowered it since you now get to reset your deck but first take your best Treasure.

Woodcutter
Original: +1 Buy. +$2.
New: +1 Buy. +$2. Reveal your hand. If you have any Victory cards in your hand, +1 Card.

Spineflu and Awaclus' input helped on this. Current iteration is Woodcutter with a weaker Shanty Town-esque bonus to help mitigate having drawn a Green.

Feast
Original: Trash this card. Gain a card costing up to $5.
New: Night Card. Trash an Action card you have in play. Gain a card costing up to $5.

Night means no Action used to pull this one shot trash an already played Action for another card. Misunderstood spineflu's commentary, Awaclus's comment made me notice I did such. Edit: New direction, made it a communal remodler. Players can decide how they wish to hurt or help the average cost.

Spy
Original: +1 Card. +1 Action. Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.
New: +1 Action. All players draw up to 6 cards. Each other player then reveals their hand, discards one card and puts another on top of their deck, your choice. You may discard any cards from your hand. If you do, +1 Card.

Might need to push the price to $5, as it is a multi-attack hitting the hand size and the top of the deck. Kept a sifting element to the card. Card changes after spineflu's input.

Thief
Original: Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. If they revealed any Treasure cards, they trash one of them that you choose. You may gain any or all of these trashed cards. They discard the other revealed cards. (Cost was $4)
New: Night Card. Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If they reveal an Action, they discard it; a Treasure, they trash it; a Victory card, they put it back. If all cards revealed are...
Treasures, gain a Gold...Victory cards, trash this. Otherwise you may gain one of the trashed Treasures, your choice.

Night, so no Action use. Card is mildly push your luck, as player count will drastically change the effectiveness of the card. Thematically, the Thief is caught by a full Victory card reveal by all the other players. Each thief played increases the chance of that occuring...as if an alarm has been set off. This card hurts streamlined decks, be they engines or BM, but it quickly loses its bite once everyone starts greening. May need to drop the cost to $4 even though it is a multiple attack due to the trash trigger. Reset price back to $4 as the Trashing of the card is enough to offset.

Adventurer
Original: Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards. Put those Treasure cards into your hand and discard the other revealed cards. (Cost was $6)
New: Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards, then draw one more card. If the last card is also a Treasure, trash one of them to gain a Treasure card worth $3 more than it. Otherwise, add the Treasure cards to your hand and discard the rest.

Donald X.: "For casual players, it costs $6, Gold costs $6, if you want Adventurer you often want Gold first, maybe you never get around to Adventurer. Expert players will instead cite, it draws two cards and only gets Treasures, Smithy is cheaper, draws three, and can get Actions too."

So I dropped the price to $5, and changed it from a sorter to a digger. Added a remodel quality to it at spineflu's suggestion.

Secret Chamber
Original: Discard any number of cards. +$1 per card discarded. When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards, then put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. (Cost was $2)
New: Duration-Reaction. +2 Cards. Set aside up to 2 cards from your hand face down (under this). At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand. When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand to play it first.

Donald X. said "The reaction is confusing and rarely useful; the top part is a fine ability but very weak, it wants to come with more stuff."

As spineflu noted, this is Gear combined with Caravan Guard. Altered the wording after reviewing CG's phrasing.

Great Hall
Original: +1 Card. +1 Action. 1VP (Cost was $3)
New: You may play an Action card currently in play a second time if it costs less than this. 1% (cost now $4)

Donald X.: "A card that did something would be more interesting."

Mill replaced this, so I wanted to try something similar to the theme of Throne Room. After thinking on what segura said, I decided the play again feature acts as a substitute for the original +1 Action, so I took that out. Also agree with segura that the ability makes it a $4 not a $3 anymore, and dropped the +1 Card so that the card is a limited TR with 1VP. Added "less than this" to further restrict.

Coppersmith
Original: Copper produces an extra $1 this turn.
New: Duration card. +1 Card. Discard a card from your hand. Now and at the start of your next turn: Copper produces an extra $1.

Making it a Duration, the copper magnifying ability can now be amplified to something useful. First hand it may do little, but if on the second hand you play another Coppersmith, you could easily have 2-3 gold equivalents now in hand. Agreed with spineflu to increase the cost to $4.

Scout
Original: +1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.
New: Duration card. +1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. You may put any revealed Victory cards face up underneath this card. Put the rest on top of your deck in any order.
On your next shuffle, discard this and the Victory cards underneath it after you draw your hand.

I originally went with a Reserve card, but after spineflu's comment and thinking on Hireling, Crypt, Champion, Teacher, etc exist, Duration has more flexibility in it's rule system. So this is odd, as the trigger is the player's shuffle, otherwise the card sits there with the Victory cards, but this is probably the better type for such a card. Anyway, it temporarily removes the Victory cards in your deck. Think temporary Island.

Saboteur
Original: Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more. He trashes that card and may gain a card costing at most $2 less than it. He discards the other revealed cards.
New: Trash any card in the Supply and gain +$1 per $3 of the card's cost, rounding up. If the card trashed cost $5 or less, each other player gains a Curse.

Donald X. " It's got three huge problems: some people hate that it's an attack that doesn't otherwise help you; it's weak; and it's crazy wordy."

I don't mind the wordy, but I agree with the other two. Spineflu made me go back to drawing board on this one. Now, the card attacks the Supply and tempts the player in two ways: go for a high cost card for a big one time payout but also possibly hurt the total VP on the game board...or go lower for a lower payout but give every one else a Curse. Rubble was cut.

Tribute
Original: The player to your left reveals then discards the top 2 cards of his deck. For each differently named card revealed, if it is an… Action Card, +2 Actions. Treasure Card, +$2. Victory Card, +2 Cards.
New: The player to your left reveals the top 2 cards of their deck and either discards them or puts them back in any order, their choice. For each card type revealed, if it is an…
Action Card, +2 Actions...Treasure Card, +$2...Victory Card, +2 Cards.

Donald X. "Some people feel like it's attacking them, since it can flip over good cards; I think it tends to help as much as hurt, but so what, I don't need people to feel bad over a non-attack."

I went with spineflu's idea over mine. Just allow the player to decide to keep or discard the cards and you get the bonuses. However, I did change the conditional for the reward, basing it on card type revealed over differently named cards. So the card now gives +4 Cards/Actions/$ or it gives 2/2 of two of those options. I priced it down to $5, as it is a quasi-village with some swingyness.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:19:01 pm by ShadowHawk »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

Chancellor
probably fine.

Woodcutter
i probably wouldn't introduce the duration rules in base set - they can be tricky. Also that is criminally underpriced for what it does - consider/compare to Merchant Ship, which is $5. Also I'm pretty sure Woodcutter was cut because DXV thought he could do more interesting things, not because it was underpowered.

Feast
again, probably not Night for base set, although this one seems pretty ok - it's functionally similar to "Borrow" as is (narrower use case). I think my favorite remake version of this "(Action • $4) Gain a card costing up to $5. Trash a card you have in play." which lets you scrap out cantrips instead of your feasts being a one-shot.

Spy
I think Rabble does this better, especially since I don't want my opponents to have Treasures or Actions; maybe "discard all cards that cost more than $2" instead? Lowering its price to $3 is also kinda whack. It's better than a $3, especially looking at more cards.

Thief
This maybe looks fine for two or even three play but consider a five player gardens game - you just made Thief non-terminal, meaning someone can eat (with a hand of five thieves) 60  treasures per turn (because they gain ALL of the treasures), if each has a full connect (5 thieves x 4 other players x 3 cards per thief, if you're wondering where 60 came from).
That alone makes each Garden a Province, which is probably Too Much Synergy.

Adventurer
Seems ok. Not great, not terrible. I probably still wouldn't buy that. Needs to have that Farming Village style synergy; maybe redo adventurer as a Rebuild type deal: +1 Action, Seek + Reveal two treasures, trash one and gain a treasure costing up to $3 more than it, play the other.

Ima skip the intrigue cards that I'm not as familiar with;

Scout
This changes up the whole Reserve concept. Not a fan. Everyone else is optional to call. Gonna confuse new players if you do it this way.

Coppersmith
This looks ok but you should probably make it cost $4 since they're easier to make collide now.

Great Hall
This is better-ish than Throne Room, i think? Easier to make collide with a Lab anyway. I think I still prefer Mill.

Saboteur
Unconditional top-deck trashing with no swindler effect or locust effect is .... too powerful/swingy. It's a major feelsbad moment when your province gets hit by this - at least with the original you'd get a duchy back.
Tacking on more bonuses to make it "better" on top of that... well. not great.
Also Rubble as a Victory-Ruins has some issues, namely its interaction with Death Cart.

Tribute
There's a simpler fix to Tribute - give the revealing player-to-your-left the option to topdeck or discard each. That way it's never an attack - they just get to see whether they want those cards or not. ezpz.

Secret Chamber
This is just Caravan Guard Gear. It's good. I like it. There might be a better way to phrase it so I don't feel like i'm doing that Winnie the Pooh reading meme but it's good.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:04:58 am »
+1

Chancellor + Woodcutter = Messenger. No need to fix those base cards, they already were
Night-topdeck the $5-Feast is arguably too good in 4/3. I'd topdeck the gained card, not the Feast itself.
I like the new Thief.
Adventurer sucks at neatly every price and so does the new one. In an engine you'd prefer the blue dog.
I like the new Island Scout but would consider leaving the green permanently on this Tavern mat (and then nerf it in some other way).

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 02:47:19 pm »
+1

Thank you for the input spineflu, very much appreciated. This is why I posted. I made a lot of obvious mistakes and I knew I needed another pair of eyes or more to help me see them.

Woodcutter
As for what Donald X, here it is copied from the wiki page: "The big thing is to add more replayability. There are six vanilla cards and probably five would have been fine; the obvious one to replace is Woodcutter. Woodcutter is a fine card for the main set but the other vanilla cards are all better. That means all of the +buy cards would cost $5 but I can live with that."

"Woodcutter is fine, it's totally fine. It's just, the main set had six vanilla cards, and did it need six? Cards that do things are more interesting. I felt like five would be enough. The card to take out wanted to be one of the +Buy cards, since I thought having three of those was better than having four (even if all three cost $5, which is what happened). Market is way more beloved so Woodcutter was the card to cut."

So I'm thinking something like this: return it to a plain Action, cost $3: "Discard a Victory card from your hand. If you do: +1 Card, +1 Buy, +$2." The card would be useful at the beginning and end game, but be a drag during the mid game.

Feast
I like theme so Night is a nice development. In my groups, both like Nocturne and the Night cards, but many of us don't like the supernatural cards...just isn't our thing. Anyway, for Feast, thematically it can be as if you bring something to the party and leave with something better. Trashing a card fits nicely. I'll go with that.

Spy
Agreed, I got to fixated on making it sync with Thief, which is stupid. Here's another go, Action-Attack, cost $4: "+1 Action. All players draw up to 6 cards. Each other player then reveals
their hand, discards one card and puts another on top of their deck, your choice. You may discard any cards from your hand. If you do, +1 Card."
It's wordy, but I'm not sure how to slim it down further. It's still a Deck order attack and a sifter, but it's more useful than before.

Thief
Yeesh, totally didn't think about the non-terminal issue. That would destroy a game. Keeping the theme here is take two: Night-Attack, cost $5: "Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If they reveal an Action, they discard it; a Treasure, they trash it; a Victory card, they put it back. If all cards revealed are...Treasures, gain a Gold...Victory cards, trash this...Otherwise you may gain one of the trashed Treasures, your choice." So the putting back of Victory cards acts as a limit, as revealing all Victory cards will get the thief "caught". This makes Thief a check on both BM and Engine plays, as being too streamlined will get your $ crushed or your engine derailed. Alt-VP though would have a strong resistance to this.

Adventurer
A remodel take is a good idea. How's this? Action, cost $5: "Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards, then draw one more card. If the last card is also a Treasure, trash one of them to gain a Treasure card worth $3 more than it. Otherwise, add the Treasure cards to your hand and discard the rest."

updating the cards above...

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »
+1

As for Intrigue cards

Scout
I could make it a long Duration? Action-Duration, Cost $4: "+1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. You may put any revealed Victory cards face up underneath this card. Put the rest on top of your deck in any order. On your next shuffle, discard this and the Victory cards underneath it after you draw your hand."

Since mid-game could keep these out for a while, I switched it to when you next shuffle. Now they'll be in your deck every other shuffle. Too strong for a $4? The card itself stays out every other shuffle too.

Coppersmith
Agree on making it a $4. Doing so reduces any draw advantage at the beginning of the game.

Great Hall
It's worse than Throne Room. It can only replay an Action already in play, so this card's special ability is useless if it is the first Action played. In fact, thinking on it, the cantrip should be in there so the card is not a dud without a cantrip/village/lab around. So here is the new wording: "+1 Card, +1 Action. You may play another Action card currently in play a second time, or place it on top of your deck. 1%"

Saboteur
Okay, back to drawing board with this one. I have two ideas floating around: sabotage the supply for gain, or a reverse remodel. I'll try with the first: "Trash any card in the Supply and gain +$1 per $3 of the card's cost, rounding up. If the card trashed cost $5 or less, each other player gains a Curse/Rubble." So here we have a card that has an incentive to trash the big cards on the board: Colonies, Provinces, Platinum, Gold, Kingdom $6+'s for a one shot $ gain. But this kind of thing can hurt the player playing this card. And then we have an incentive to go lower, get a lower $ amount but we give each player a -1 VP. Either way, you sabotage your opponent.

Rubble
I've never had a game with Death Cart. Looking at it, I see your point. Easy to fix by making Rubble it's own category. Now the issue is...does a game need such a card? It's more thematically in line than a Curse. And it nicely junks a players deck but happens to not penalize the VP at the end. That was my reason for making it, a junk card that didn't necessitate -1 VP. But I only have one other card that would use it (titled Pillage), but again Curse could just be used. Is there a place for Rubble or no?

Tribute
Love that idea. Done. Thank you. Still dropping the price to $5 though, $6 seems too high seeing that the results are not set to occur the same each time it is played. Also, I'm going to switch out the conditional as it kinda sucks. It's easier to just do card type and then see it as a swingy village or smithy.

Secret Chamber
Mentioning Caravan Guard, you made me realize the Reaction could be more to that...just play the card first if it is in the hand. What's nicer, is this will reduce the player's hand to 4, which some Attacks lose their bite when the hand is below 5.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:23:34 pm by ShadowHawk »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:31:18 am »

Great Hall
It's worse than Throne Room. It can only replay an Action already in play, so this card's special ability is useless if it is the first Action played. In fact, thinking on it, the cantrip should be in there so the card is not a dud without a cantrip/village/lab around. So here is the new wording: "+1 Card, +1 Action. You may play another Action card currently in play a second time, or place it on top of your deck. 1%"
This is nearly identical to a Throne Room with +1 Card and totally crazy at $3.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 01:59:35 pm »

segura:

So being able to play a cantrip/village a second time is still too powerful? For example, if playing strictly base, this card could only play Cellar, Harbinger, Merchant, Village, Poacher, Throne Room, Festival, Laboratory, Market and Sentry when not played as the first Action (and when played first, it can't play anything). Good cards, but that's only 11 of 26 Kingdom Piles it can play. It's situationally weaker than Throne Room. I can see raising it to $4 but I thought the deficit could allow for a $3 price. Might be worth killing the +1 Action.

Edit: Thinking on it, the top decking ability is too much. Took it out. I also clarified the language from "play another Action already in play" to "(other than this)" to make the anti-infinite loop more clear. Also raised it to $4 as it is a more useful Estate.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:11:56 pm by ShadowHawk »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:10:33 am »

segura:

So being able to play a cantrip/village a second time is still too powerful? For example, if playing strictly base, this card could only play Cellar, Harbinger, Merchant, Village, Poacher, Throne Room, Festival, Laboratory, Market and Sentry when not played as the first Action (and when played first, it can't play anything). Good cards, but that's only 11 of 26 Kingdom Piles it can play. It's situationally weaker than Throne Room. I can see raising it to $4 but I thought the deficit could allow for a $3 price. Might be worth killing the +1 Action.

Edit: Thinking on it, the top decking ability is too much. Took it out. I also clarified the language from "play another Action already in play" to "(other than this)" to make the anti-infinite loop more clear. Also raised it to $4 as it is a more useful Estate.
I think it is still too strong. Just look at the net effects of the vanilla stuff: TR on Pearl Diver is a village, Great Hall 1.0. on Pearl Diver was a Lost City, Great Hall 2.0 on Pearl Diver is a Laboratory.

That extra card is stronger than the implicit extra Action of Throne Room, on top of that there is the VP and the only disadvantage of your Great Hall is that you cannot do TR-TR-x chains or in general play it before you played an Action. I doubt that this liability outweighs the advantages.

tl;dr: Great Hall 2.0 is nearly as good as a TR with -1 Action +1 Card 1VP

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »

segura:

I think it is still too strong. Just look at the net effects of the vanilla stuff: TR on Pearl Diver is a village, Great Hall 1.0. on Pearl Diver was a Lost City, Great Hall 2.0 on Pearl Diver is a Laboratory.

That extra card is stronger than the implicit extra Action of Throne Room, on top of that there is the VP and the only disadvantage of your Great Hall is that you cannot do TR-TR-x chains or in general play it before you played an Action. I doubt that this liability outweighs the advantages.

tl;dr: Great Hall 2.0 is nearly as good as a TR with -1 Action +1 Card 1VP

I'll take out the +1 Card while I'm at it. I'm not willing to put it up to $5 at this time though.

Edit: what about adding this clause instead: "You may play an Action card currently in play a second time if it costs less than this."  Adds a slightly stronger restriction.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:09:49 pm by ShadowHawk »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 04:33:02 pm »

So here are some of my "original" cards....though with how late to the game I am, I'm not sure how original any of these are. If it's similar to someone else's work and I forgot to mention it (or I was ignorant of it), let me know.

No theme, they are scattered ideas. Maybe down the road I'll try but I still need to wrap my head around game design concepts.

Anyway, first up are two event-like card things that are a fusion of Nights and Events. I've gone with the name Trick as I liked it better than Crime, but I'm open to suggestions.

Blood Moon is similar to Banquet, but you take 1 curse instead of 2 Copper in exchange for not having to use a Buy or any $. Seem like a fair exchange? 

So Fence is an remodel gainer that works with other gainers. Can't upgrade to Victory cards though. Will have to test more but it acts like a once per turn +$1 to the ceiling of a gainer action you played.

Below are regular Events. The first allows a player to use Debt to get an Action card. I'm surprised and yet worried that Donald X didn't do a card like this in Empires.

Next was an attempt to make a card that could have been an entrant to Contest #44 in the Weekly Design Contest (naitchman was judge). It's a Level 2 using naitchman's categories, allowing a player to spend $5 to try and get more cards. It does not provide a +1 Buy, so the player would need cards in their deck that provide that if they wanted another purchase.

Last card thing is a Project. It allows Victory cards to act as Coppers during Buy Phases. Not awesome, but it would prevent the cards from being completely useless.

Input welcome
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:13:25 am by ShadowHawk »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 04:46:40 pm »

Why are these weaker than the original cards?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 11:45:56 pm »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:14:19 am by ShadowHawk »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 08:12:14 am »

You might want to make it more clear that Tricks are not general rules, i.e. that they do not trigger automatically.

Blood Moon does not have to specify that the card comes from the Supply and while I think that these Night-Events are pretty cool, especially from a thematic perspective, I'd like to point out that this Trick would work identical if it were an ordinary Event.

I guess that Fence wants to target all cards that you gained during your turn which might run into issues with the lose-track rule (but I never got that rule anyway).

Line of Credit also runs into a rule issue as you cannot buy anything if you have Debt. I mean, you could simply pragmatically ignore this rule in this instance but I wanted to mention the rule issue anyway.

Midnight Sun might be too strong but I'd nonetheless also test it with an extra Buy, if only to make it non-dead in Kingdoms without extra Buys.

Manorialism might also want to be more technical and use a Capital-style wording like e.g.: "During your turn, Victory cards are also Treasures and produce +1 when played."
That also leads to funky stuff with only-Treasure remodelers like Mine.
Among all this is probably my favourite landscape card here. Very simple and cool design.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 08:52:54 am »

Manorialism, the simplest change (rather than the Capitalism style shapeshifting) would be do something like "At the start of your buy phase, you may discard any number of Victory cards for +$1 each" so "trash a card in play" style trashers don't get way better (and things like Loan don't 'hit' on your victory cards).

Line of Credit, you can't buy it if you have debt anyway, so you don't need the debt check clause; also as worded, this would allow you to bypass potions and do things like pay $3 for a Familiar, which is kind of OP. Also you might want to include a default penalty of like, two or three debt for using this (compare $5 for Band of Misfits / @8 for Overlord).

Fence might have tracking issues with cards that topdeck/gain to hand (Nomad Camp, Guardian, etc) or cards that have been Watchtower'd. Prior to the new errata, it would've missed on everything except the top card of your discard pile.

Midnight Sun I'd say you can probably lower it to 4 Cards, and then add a buy like segura said.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:05:55 am by spineflu »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 09:23:24 am »

Can you be more specific?

Well, what your Chancellor does is what the original Chancellor does plus it forces you to put a Copper on top of your deck, which you don't want to do. Even if you have a Silver, the top of your deck is not where you want it to be.

What your Woodcutter does is, in practice, usually either nothing because you don't have a Victory card in your hand, or the exact same as the original Woodcutter since you discard your Victory card and then you immediately draw it back because you've drawn your deck anyway. In some cases, it can be worse, if you've used e.g. Warehouse to sift through your deck and the new Woodcutter triggers an unwanted shuffle.

Your Thief doesn't address the fundamental problem with Thief, which is that it helps your opponent by trashing their Coppers, and while it addresses some of the other problems, it also pushes it over the $5 threshold which is a big deal and it randomly trashes itself if you hit a Victory card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 11:00:36 am »

You might want to make it more clear that Tricks are not general rules, i.e. that they do not trigger automatically.

Blood Moon does not have to specify that the card comes from the Supply and while I think that these Night-Events are pretty cool, especially from a thematic perspective, I'd like to point out that this Trick would work identical if it were an ordinary Event.

I guess that Fence wants to target all cards that you gained during your turn which might run into issues with the lose-track rule (but I never got that rule anyway).

Line of Credit also runs into a rule issue as you cannot buy anything if you have Debt. I mean, you could simply pragmatically ignore this rule in this instance but I wanted to mention the rule issue anyway.

Midnight Sun might be too strong but I'd nonetheless also test it with an extra Buy, if only to make it non-dead in Kingdoms without extra Buys.

Manorialism might also want to be more technical and use a Capital-style wording like e.g.: "During your turn, Victory cards are also Treasures and produce +1 when played."
That also leads to funky stuff with only-Treasure remodelers like Mine.
Among all this is probably my favourite landscape card here. Very simple and cool design.

Tricks - I was unsure how to make an Event that bypassed using a "Buy" without adding +1 Buy to it and giving it a $0 cost. Hence the idea of a Night Event. I need to write Trick's FAQ to better explain its rule set.

Line of Credit's...I was so focused on what if it is played outside of Empires that I forgot about that obvious rule. Thank you.

As for Midnight Sun, yeah, if I add the +1 Buy then I'll push it to $6. Spend the $6 you have to press your luck trying to gain another $9 sounds like fun. The price would also reduce spamming as that is my one beef with the "extra turn" cards (my games tend to be 3-6 players...so any extra time added is noticeable).

Manoralism...yeah I was trying to avoid making them Treasures because of something like Mine. Since most remodelers focus on cost and not worth, it's a waste (unless combined with something like Fence). The idea was to make the Victory cards not completely useless in your hand...but question if it is worth skipping the Gold so that your Victory cards are all Coppers. I'll think on it some more though and I may end up going with what you wrote.

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:03:00 am by ShadowHawk »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 11:16:06 am »

Manorialism, the simplest change (rather than the Capitalism style shapeshifting) would be do something like "At the start of your buy phase, you may discard any number of Victory cards for +$1 each" so "trash a card in play" style trashers don't get way better (and things like Loan don't 'hit' on your victory cards).

Line of Credit, you can't buy it if you have debt anyway, so you don't need the debt check clause; also as worded, this would allow you to bypass potions and do things like pay $3 for a Familiar, which is kind of OP. Also you might want to include a default penalty of like, two or three debt for using this (compare $5 for Band of Misfits / @8 for Overlord).

Fence might have tracking issues with cards that topdeck/gain to hand (Nomad Camp, Guardian, etc) or cards that have been Watchtower'd.

Midnight Sun I'd say you can probably lower it to 4 Cards, and then add a buy like segura said.

I don't want Victory cards to be turned into hybrid Treasure-Victory using Manoralism to avoid cards like Loan. I just want to allow the Victory cards to now be playable during Buy phases and they produce an equivalent Copper if a player does so.

Yeah, on Line of Credit I was trying to limit it's use and was considering if it was used outside of Empires. I like the idea of the debt accrued is a bit higher than the cost of the card (thematic interest). +1 extra Debt or +2? I thought Potions could not be converted, so Debt could not be substituted. I can put a quick remark that potions don't count.

For Fence, since it is during the Night phase, trashed or discarded cards would no longer be in play. Do they still count as being in play? I never noticed that in the rules.

The +4 Cards, +1 Buy might be a good way to keep it at $5 instead of raising it. Will think on it.

Thank you for the input, greatly appreciated.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:29 am »
+2

This is... monstrously strong, if I've got it right. Gaining $5 cards and trashing coppers in the Night phase? Yes please.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:40 am »

Fence might have tracking issues with cards that topdeck/gain to hand (Nomad Camp, Guardian, etc) or cards that have been Watchtower'd.

I don't want Victory cards to be turned into hybrid Treasure-Victory using Manoralism to avoid cards like Loan. I just want to allow the Victory cards to now be playable during Buy phases and they produce an equivalent Copper if a player does so.

Yeah, on Line of Credit I was trying to limit it's use and was considering if it was used outside of Empires. I like the idea of the debt accrued is a bit higher than the cost of the card (thematic interest). +1 extra Debt or +2? I thought Potions could not be converted, so Debt could not be substituted. I can put a quick remark that potions don't count.

For Fence, since it is during the Night phase, trashed or discarded cards would no longer be in play. Do they still count as being in play? I never noticed that in the rules.

The +4 Cards, +1 Buy might be a good way to keep it at $5 instead of raising it. Will think on it.

Thank you for the input, greatly appreciated.
The problem with the phrasing on Line of Credit is that it's more or less following Forge's wording, which is designed to dodge potion cost issues. I'm honestly having trouble phrasing it too - it's tricky - without doing it as one-time cost reduction, which is a really roundabout way of doing it.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 11:53:18 am »

Can you be more specific?

Well, what your Chancellor does is what the original Chancellor does plus it forces you to put a Copper on top of your deck, which you don't want to do. Even if you have a Silver, the top of your deck is not where you want it to be.

What your Woodcutter does is, in practice, usually either nothing because you don't have a Victory card in your hand, or the exact same as the original Woodcutter since you discard your Victory card and then you immediately draw it back because you've drawn your deck anyway. In some cases, it can be worse, if you've used e.g. Warehouse to sift through your deck and the new Woodcutter triggers an unwanted shuffle.

Your Thief doesn't address the fundamental problem with Thief, which is that it helps your opponent by trashing their Coppers, and while it addresses some of the other problems, it also pushes it over the $5 threshold which is a big deal and it randomly trashes itself if you hit a Victory card.

The original goal of the exercise of remaking the older cut cards was to make cards that were more interesting and usable, not to make them amazing must haves, but at least reduce the "dud-ness".

Chancellor - It's not necessarily a copper that would be top decked. The player gets to put a Treasure they desire from their complete deck and make it the first card they draw. Would it be better if it was an Action? Perhaps. I went with Treasure to keep the price low. I'll at least review to see if it should just be a generic "any card" instead and what that space looks like.

Woodcutter - good catch. Sometimes in revising I forget things. The discard effect needs to be for the +1 Card, not the +1 Buy and +$2.

Thief - I didn't want to get rid of the possible benefit to the other player as I didn't see that as an issue. The issue I see is that there can be a tendency that the card only rewards a Copper rather than something better. Hence the addition of a push your luck element, thematically the Thief stikes lucky. If I had the Treasure return to the deck, you never have the thief steal a good Treasure from another player. And as a Night card, the Thief does not take up an Action. Adding the trash effect might warrant dropping the price to $4 though that you mention it. Will think on it.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 12:41:34 pm »
+1

Don't forget you'll also need to handle (or exempt) Debt cards. As currently written, you could get an Overlord for free.

Maybe something like: "receive debt equal to the $ and debt cost of the card."?

Another thought is to convert the $ to debt for all cards (a pseudo bridge, I think there may been a variant like this in this forum): "+1 Buy, replace the $ cost of cards with 1 debt per $" So Village would now cost 3 debt, Laboratory 5 debt, Familiar, 3 debt + Potion, Overlord still 8 debt, etc... The interest would be handled by just making the event itself cost 1 or 2. (though that means one time interest even with multiple buys)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 02:33:36 pm »

For Line of Credit, how about this:

Gain an Action card from the Supply that only has $ in its cost. Receive @ equal to the cost of the card +@2.

Wordy?

For Manoralism:

During your Buy phase, Victory cards may be played to produce $1 each.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:12:44 pm by ShadowHawk »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 06:46:48 pm »
+1

There is, in fact, something in Empires that turns $ into Debt: it's called Capital. It also costs $5, so $0 is way too cheap for this.

This is basically Secret Chamber turned into a Project, without the Reaction. Secret Chamber was cut mostly because it wasn't as useful as it seemed. The game continues to favor strategies with short Green periods. I suspect this will have a similar problem.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 07:26:48 pm »

Gain an Action card from the Supply that only has $ in its cost. Receive @ equal to the cost of the card +@2.

Wordy?

For Manoralism:

I think that works for Line of Credit; for Manoralism, you've still got the problem that cards-in-play trashers aren't designed to deal with green, and also consider what Mill or Nobles would do in that situation.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:41 pm »
+1

This is... monstrously strong, if I've got it right. Gaining $5 cards and trashing coppers in the Night phase? Yes please.

Agreed, I misread spineflu's input. Switched to trashing an Action you have in play.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:43 pm »

Wordy?

For Manoralism:

I think that works for Line of Credit; for Manoralism, you've still got the problem that cards-in-play trashers aren't designed to deal with green, and also consider what Mill or Nobles would do in that situation.

Then we go with a hand reveal

Reveal your hand. For every Victory card in your hand, +$1.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:01 pm »

There is, in fact, something in Empires that turns $ into Debt: it's called Capital. It also costs $5, so $0 is way too cheap for this.

This is basically Secret Chamber turned into a Project, without the Reaction. Secret Chamber was cut mostly because it wasn't as useful as it seemed. The game continues to favor strategies with short Green periods. I suspect this will have a similar problem.

How is making Victory cards produce $1 similar to Secret Chamber? I'm not making the connection.

Capital is a bit different. Being a Treasure and its mechanism leads to synergies with cards like Mandarin. This is a much more direct and boring approach. You can get an Action card but split its price over a turn (although I think I'm going to add +2 Debt to the total cost).

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 12:16:53 am »

Updated cards are now in the first post.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:12 pm »

What about something like this? I'm not aware of a group remodler.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:12 pm »

I made a card like Line of Credit for the weekly design contest once:

Commonwealth
Event - @2
Gain a card costing up to $6. Take @ equal to its cost in coins.

That seemed like a clean way to make the card, but it was never playtested because I don’t have the time
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »

I made a card like Line of Credit for the weekly design contest once:

Commonwealth
Event - @2
Gain a card costing up to $6. Take @ equal to its cost in coins.

That seemed like a clean way to make the card, but it was never playtested because I don’t have the time

Yes! That's the one I was thinking of. I think making the Event itself cost @2 is a a cleaner way than adding +@2 in the text. (and I can't see any obvious difference)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 03:28:38 pm »

mail-mi, thank you for letting me know. I looked it up. YEah, same idea just you have the player pay $2 upfront, I'm tagging the $2 to the debt. Technically the same since it's rare for a player to have $0 in hand.

Maybe to make the interest vary with the purchase, I can use some unorthodox card text.

$2 = 3 Debt
$3 = 5 Debt
$4 = 6 Debt
$5 = 8 debt
$6 = 9 debt
$7 = 11 debt
$8 = 12 debt

Bad idea or better?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 03:57:40 pm »
+1

bad idea - no one likes fractions.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »
+1

How is making Victory cards produce $1 similar to Secret Chamber? I'm not making the connection.

Playing a card for $1 is, the majority of the time, exactly the same as discarding it for $1.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:46 am »

Playing a card for $1 is, the majority of the time, exactly the same as discarding it for $1.

I follow that. Still don't follow how that is similar to Secret Chamber. Maybe I'm dense.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 10:45:29 am »

I follow that. Still don't follow how that is similar to Secret Chamber. Maybe I'm dense.

If you play a Secret Chamber, you can discard (similar to play) victory cards to produce each. If you buy Manorialism, you can play (similar to discard) victory cards to produce each.

In other words, Manorialism could almost read "at the start of each of your buy phases, discard any number of cards for each." AKA "at the start of each of your buy phases, resolve the effects of playing a Secret Chamber."

A wording issue with Manorialism... it doesn't allow Victory Cards to be played. It just says what happens if they do get played. That's easily fixed by either making Victory cards into Treasures (similar to Capitalism), or just saying "you may play victory cards". It seems like it would be potentially confusing with action-victory cards that already do other things though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:47:40 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 10:56:26 am »

bad idea - no one likes fractions.

So sad.

Looking at the Debt cards in Empires, 8 Debt seems to be equal to $6, so I'll stick with "equal to 2 more than the cost"

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 10:58:22 am »

If you play a Secret Chamber, you can discard (similar to play) victory cards to produce each. If you buy Manorialism, you can play (similar to discard) victory cards to produce each.

In other words, Manorialism could almost read "at the start of each of your buy phases, discard any number of cards for each." AKA "at the start of each of your buy phases, resolve the effects of playing a Secret Chamber."

A wording issue with Manorialism... it doesn't allow Victory Cards to be played. It just says what happens if they do get played. That's easily fixed by either making Victory cards into Treasures (similar to Capitalism), or just saying "you may play victory cards". It seems like it would be potentially confusing with action-victory cards that already do other things though.

Sorry, I thought he was referring to my version, not the old one.

I see now. Yeah...and trying to convert the VP points into $ would likely be broken. Will rethink.

Edit: So what if I did do that, make the listed VP amount have a worth equal to it? Raise the price to $8. So a player has to decide to skip the Province buy for the extra coin to later buy more Provinces.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:10:06 am by ShadowHawk »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:24 pm »
+2

Sorry, I thought he was referring to my version, not the old one.

I see now. Yeah...and trying to convert the VP points into $ would likely be broken. Will rethink.

Edit: So what if I did do that, make the listed VP amount have a worth equal to it? Raise the price to $8. So a player has to decide to skip the Province buy for the extra coin to later buy more Provinces.

I think it sounds like a neat concept; though you need to figure out how to deal with variable-worth VP cards. If it's not too boring; you could simply limit it to Province/Duchy/Estate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 12:59:49 pm »

What about something like this? I'm not aware of a group remodler.
Governor is one.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
+1

Sorry for the delayed replies. Out of town on business.

@spineflu - noted. That said, is averaging the cost too much math for a game?

@GendoIkari - Yeah, limiting it to the basics would make it easier to deal with. Since posting though, I've thought about it and I wonder if it's worth giving a bonus to a player for buying what they were likely going to buy anyway (Province) and if the ability should be limited to Duchies and maybe Estates. Course this just makes them a very similar variant of Harem.

An idea I've been considering is if revealing Estates and Duchies in your hand could have a Bridge effect instead..capping it at 2, maybe 3.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:34 am »
+1

Sorry for the delayed replies. Out of town on business.

@spineflu - noted. That said, is averaging the cost too much math for a game?

I mean, yeah. probably. Not if it were a computer-implemented card only but irl, everyone else would be booing, "we don't wanna do math, just say the number!" Also you'd probably want to change the wording to specify cost in coins so you don't have to figure out what half a potion means.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:32:16 am by spineflu »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »

Going to try this instead after feedback:

Each player (including you) reveals a card from their hand. Note the highest cost of the cards revealed. You may trash a card you have in play or in hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 more than it. Then all other players may trash a card from their hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 less than it.

The phrase "note the highest cost of the cards revealed." Was made so that the following sentences could refer to "it" rather than type that twice.

Okay, so now Estates and Duchies can act like Bridges, but to get this you need to pass up on buying a Province.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »

So this is a new card.

I wanted to make a Treasure that could toy with Supply-Demand after seeing Tejayes's Rare Earth winner in Design Contest #4. This is my third take on it. To emulate the speculation crash of the Dutch Tulip madness, players can time the plays for big payouts but then someone is going to have to trash their cards.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 02:26:17 pm »

Each player (including you) reveals a card from their hand. Note the highest cost of the cards revealed. You may trash a card you have in play or in hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 more than it. Then all other players may trash a card from their hand to gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 less than it.

The phrase "note the highest cost of the cards revealed." Was made so that the following sentences could refer to "it" rather than type that twice.

Okay, so now Estates and Duchies can act like Bridges, but to get this you need to pass up on buying a Province.

Feast needs to say something along the lines of "highest cost in ." Neither Overlord nor Estate cost more nor less than the other, so just "highest cost" is undefined in cases like that.

Manorialism needs to be rephrased, because as worded, you could just keep revealing the same Estate over and over again to make all cards free. Here's my suggested wording:
"Once during your turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. All cards cost less per card revealed for the rest of the turn."*
*Doesn't need the "but not less than " clause due to the recent errata.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:27:57 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »

So this is a new card.

I wanted to make a Treasure that could toy with Supply-Demand after seeing Tejayes's Rare Earth winner in Design Contest #4. This is my third take on it. To emulate the speculation crash of the Dutch Tulip madness, players can time the plays for big payouts but then someone is going to have to trash their cards.

Is it intentional that Tulips counts other players' Tulips?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 02:31:13 pm »

So this is a new card.

Is it intentional that Tulips counts other players' Tulips?

Yes

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »

Feast needs to say something along the lines of "highest cost in ." Neither Overlord nor Estate cost more nor less than the other, so just "highest cost" is undefined in cases like that.

Manorialism needs to be rephrased, because as worded, you could just keep revealing the same Estate over and over again to make all cards free. Here's my suggested wording:
"Once during your turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. All cards cost less per card revealed for the rest of the turn."*
*Doesn't need the "but not less than " clause due to the recent errata.

Thanks mate.

So I'm confused. Official cards never clarify the cost regarding potions or debt. I've always understood it that potion costs and debt costs don't factor in such cases. The wiki states such costs are orthogonal and have no official equivalency. So why does this keep popping up in comments on the board? Is this just a preference in the community? I'm late to this board so some things are still over my head in the community's ideas. Anyway, I'll phrase it as you said, "highest cost in coins ($)" to make it clear.

For Manoralism, how would this language work? "Once per turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. If you do, cards cost $1 less per card revealed, but not less than $0." The beginning clause is used in some Events, and it would be really odd to execute this on another player's turn. I'm going to keep the end clause and wait till I see it changed in the Digital game.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 03:24:59 pm »

Two more new ones, this below is from the most recently concluded contest regarding Command cards.

So different approach than the one I submitted. After making changes based on what majiponi said, it was basically a Band of Minions. Assembly by Gazbag was my favorite card, so I liked the idea of a Throne Room element.

Play up to two different Action cards from the Supply that have Student tokens on them, leaving them there.
-
When you gain this, put a Student token on a non-Command Action Supply pile costing up to $4.

So it does not permit a throne room double play, as you need to play two different cards or just play one. The token mechanism slows the card down, which I'm hoping justifies the cards's cost being at $4 instead of $5. Still very Band of Minions-ish, but the double play makes it more effective once you have two tokens out.

Partly related to Scholasticus is a Woodcutter-Potion-Black Market variant:

So you have 12 Kingdom cards instead of 10, but only 2 of those are available for purchase or gaining when Foreign Merchants is in play. This shifting of 2 piles from Supply and out of it allows for some interesting combos, but there is likely a problem with a card or five that I'm missing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:35:58 pm by ShadowHawk »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2019, 03:53:46 pm »

Thanks mate.

So I'm confused. Official cards never clarify the cost regarding potions or debt. I've always understood it that potion costs and debt costs don't factor in such cases. The wiki states such costs are orthogonal and have no official equivalency. So why does this keep popping up in comments on the board? Is this just a preference in the community? I'm late to this board so some things are still over my head in the community's ideas. Anyway, I'll phrase it as you said, "highest cost in coins ($)" to make it clear.

It's because of context. Official cards are either cards like Remodel which selects a specific cost based on some condition (for example, if you trash an Overlord, the cost Remodel selects as the limit is ), or cards with an if-clause like Chariot Race (if your card costs more than theirs), which is false if the two cards are incomparable. Your previous Feast, however, instructs you to select the card with the highest card, which is undefined if the costs are incomparable. I guess you could rule that it just fails to select a card in that case, but it's best to make things clear where you can.

tl;dr: Official cards don't usually clarify cost in because they still have defined behavior without that specification. Your previous version of Feast does not have defined behavior without that specification.

For Manoralism, how would this language work? "Once per turn, you may reveal any number of Estates or Duchies from your hand. If you do, cards cost $1 less per card revealed, but not less than $0." The beginning clause is used in some Events, and it would be really odd to execute this on another player's turn. I'm going to keep the end clause and wait till I see it changed in the Digital game.

That wording wouldn't quite work, because it needs to say that cards cost less per card revealed[, but not less than ] for the rest of the turn. Otherwise, it just says that card costs are reduced without saying for how long, so the cost reduction would apply for the rest of the game, which is clearly not what you intend.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:56:19 pm by Gubump »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2019, 10:35:29 pm »

Thanks Gubump. Made the change to Manoralism and that finally clarifies the cost clarity requests.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2019, 03:15:42 am »
+1

So you have 12 Kingdom cards instead of 10, but only 2 of those are available for purchase or gaining when Foreign Merchants is in play. This shifting of 2 piles from Supply and out of it allows for some interesting combos, but there is likely a problem with a card or five that I'm missing.

This is strictly better than a Woodcutter and thus has to cost at least . Based on my instincts, I would price it at even if Woodcutter never existed. I know that the comparison to Woodcutter isn't as big a deal since Woodcutter was removed, but having a card be strictly better than even a removed card at the same cost rubs some people the wrong way, and "some people" includes me. (Although since part of the point of this thread was to buff the removed cards, I wouldn't have brought this up if it didn't seem like a even without the Woodcutter comparison.)

Thanks Gubump. Made the change to Manoralism and that finally clarifies the cost clarity requests.

You should update the OP with all the updated cards. It says it has all the updated cards, but it doesn't, and the newest version of Manorialism isn't anywhere in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:17:17 am by Gubump »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2019, 03:21:41 am »

So different approach than the one I submitted. After making changes based on what majiponi said, it was basically a Band of Minions. Assembly by Gazbag was my favorite card, so I liked the idea of a Throne Room element.

Play up to two different Action cards from the Supply that have Student tokens on them, leaving them there.
-
When you gain this, put a Student token on a non-Command Action Supply pile costing up to $4.

So it does not permit a throne room double play, as you need to play two different cards or just play one. The token mechanism slows the card down, which I'm hoping justifies the cards's cost being at $4 instead of $5. Still very Band of Minions-ish, but the double play makes it more effective once you have two tokens out.

I would price this at at the very least. It only takes two Scholasticus gains to make it WAY better than BoM. Which means that just two or more people have to open with it and it suddenly becomes a broken card. I would probably price it at .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:23:21 am by Gubump »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2019, 06:49:13 am »

-

I would price this at at the very least. It only takes two Scholasticus gains to make it WAY better than BoM. Which means that just two or more people have to open with it and it suddenly becomes a broken card. I would probably price it at .
I'd go further and claim that this is broken at any price.
After two gains this is a e.g. double Lab in a Kingdom with Village and Smithy (and we know from the secret history that DXV was never able to make a double Lab work).
Advisor and Silk Merchant net draws 3 cards and yields an extra Buy. Mono-card-engine at a piece price of $4 is crazy.
The worst case is something like Pearl Diver and Moat but even then it is still a Lab.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2019, 12:44:07 pm »
+1

-

After two gains this is a e.g. double Lab in a Kingdom with Village and Smithy (and we know from the secret history that DXV was never able to make a double Lab work).
Advisor and Silk Merchant net draws 3 cards and yields an extra Buy. Mono-card-engine at a piece price of $4 is crazy.
The worst case is something like Pearl Diver and Moat but even then it is still a Lab.

It only takes up one card slot, so Pearl Diver + Moat is net +3 Cards and +1 Action, so that's actually slightly better than double Lab, and Village + Smithy is net +4 Cards and +2 Actions, or a triple Lab plus a Village.

Now that you've pointed this out, I completely agree that Scholasticus doesn't work at any price.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2019, 12:22:53 am »

-

It only takes up one card slot, so Pearl Diver + Moat is net +3 Cards and +1 Action, so that's actually slightly better than double Lab, and Village + Smithy is net +4 Cards and +2 Actions, or a triple Lab plus a Village.

Now that you've pointed this out, I completely agree that Scholasticus doesn't work at any price.

Good catch segura, it's broken.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2019, 12:26:25 am »

You should update the OP with all the updated cards. It says it has all the updated cards, but it doesn't, and the newest version of Manorialism isn't anywhere in this thread.

Done.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2019, 03:54:59 am »

This is strictly better than a Woodcutter and thus has to cost at least . Based on my instincts, I would price it at even if Woodcutter never existed. I know that the comparison to Woodcutter isn't as big a deal since Woodcutter was removed, but having a card be strictly better than even a removed card at the same cost rubs some people the wrong way, and "some people" includes me. (Although since part of the point of this thread was to buff the removed cards, I wouldn't have brought this up if it didn't seem like a even without the Woodcutter comparison.)
I agree and like to point out that Woodcutter is basically a card category or a benchmark and thus still exists as a "shadow".
Even if Woodcutter never existed, you could deduce from Nomad Camp and Messenger that Woodcutter has to cost $3 and that Woodcutter with an extra has to cost more.
This is different to e.g. Adventurer which is a singular card.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2019, 10:57:31 pm »

Moved Foreign Merchant to $4.

Here is a new take on Scholasticus

So now it is a Command that has no upper limit on the cost of the card it can access...save cards denominated in Debt...but it takes a while to get there. Should the price be dropped down to $3 or does $4 work as a decision point?

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 11:20:13 pm »

Updated previous submissions to the weekly design contest

A Duration with a weak-ish attack that facilitates 3 pile wins, a "counter" attack to the Curse supply, and deck ruining by depleting Supply piles.

Another Duration that provides a counter bonus to your opponents gaining Victory cards. Not sure if the card should be adjusted to a $6 price point or if the Duration ability should be nerfed to +1 Cards.

Both of these cards could also be turned into Reactions.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2019, 11:25:51 pm »

An aside: how do I add the function present in other posts where clicking on the image will expand it? Right now I'm adjusting the size on imgur rather than adjusting it in the post.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 11:48:10 pm »

An aside: how do I add the function present in other posts where clicking on the image will expand it? Right now I'm adjusting the size on imgur rather than adjusting it in the post.

Code: [Select]
[img width=250]https://i.imgur.com/sJP0E6b.png?1[/img]
Just add "width=250" to the img code (or whatever size you want; 200-250 is pretty good).

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 05:31:44 pm »

I love the knowledge and feedback of the locals of this board. I have two regular game groups that I play Dominion with and finding the random card generator(s) here has been fun. After mentioning it at my last game, a friend of mine with the 1st editions asked if I could try to come up with versions of the cut cards that might be more interesting to play. This is my attempt. My goals were to maintain theme and keep the card close to what I think Donald X was going for based on his comments on the card. I've used knew mechanics from other expansions to try to help without being overly complicated. Feedback is much appreciated before I start printing test copies.

Edit: Now includes all the cards posted. Moved the commentary to the post below.

Most updated card versions in this post.

Alternate Base

Alternate Intrigue

Took a look at the alternate versions of the outtakes. I like the ideas, although some seem rather wordy and also rather distinct from their original counterpart. Anyway:

Chancelor: I think you need to find a different upgrade, cause the whole "make sure you draw one particular card" thing is already done by Scavanger. I really fail to see how these cards are different barring edge cases.
Woodcutter: Kinda novel way to make Woodcutter do a little bit more. I like it. I would make the +1 Card optional though (say something like: you may reveal a Victory card for +1 Card)
Feast: Very wordy, and I fail to see why the first paragraph couldn't be just left out. Hard to see whether it's balanced, and whether the whole "let other people trash for cheaper" is necessary to balance this out. (I mean, Remodel's mos classical utility, Gold->Province is scrapped already)
Spy: Sounds OP. It removes the 2 best cards from a 6 card hand. Look at Pillage, which costs $5, only discards one card, and trashes itself, and you see that this is kinda off.
Thief: Sounds quite convoluted. It is an improvement over original thief, but it still has the fundamental issue of trashing other player's Coppers.
Adventurer: The last part is luck based and also unnecessary when this card is meant to be a Smithy+. For the rest, sounds fine.

Secret Chamber: Looks cool, although I'm not a huge fan of $4 costs being upgrades of $3 costs. I mean, the other $3 costs getting $4 costing upgrades are Village, which is a base card teaching about Dominion fundamentals, and Woodcutter/Chancelor, which are weak.
Great Hall: Sounds very weak, honestly.
Coppersmith: Terminal +1 Card. Yuk. Making it last two turns should be a decent improvement, so try it first without that bonus.
Scout: I'm afraid it is still weak. In some aspects, it is probably even worse than regular Scouts, as it lacks the synergies with Crossroads and dual-type cards. And it still packs the unfortunate property of being a Ruined Village mid-game.
Saboteur: Dislike the Ruins part. It looks fine otherwise, though I doubt that this is a recipe for fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 20 queries.