Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Very Poor Sportsmanship  (Read 4247 times)

pyrosis

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Very Poor Sportsmanship
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:09 pm »
+6

Sadly, I have come to realize that the general level of sportsmanship at dominion.games is quite low. While I do sometimes find the opponent who is actually friendly, it seems much more often that I play against someone who becomes verbally abusive as soon as they start to lose. This has become so common that I feel it is a general theme of dominion.games to have to endure verbal abuse (usually to the tune of "you suck, you're just lucky, fuck off, asshole, etc." And this even though I have a zero tolerance policy towards blacklistiing said players.

It makes me quite sad that there is seemingly no way to report this type of behavior. The board would have a much friendlier atmosphere and be a better place to play overall if there were more moderation including terminating the accounts of abusive players. I have been a subscriber for a long time but it has gotten to the point where I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription altogether as I do not wish to be abused simply for winning. I know I can't be the only player ever to have this complaint. This behavior is shockingly common at dominion.games and I really haven't seen it on any other online gaming portal. I know this has been brought up before and yet it is still a major problem. Is there any hope for this ever to change?

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Very Poor Sportsmanship
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:30:03 am »
+8

I am sorry to hear that. It is the opposite of my own personal experience, but I know it does happen.
There actually is some moderation, I do ban accounts. I almost never talk about it though when I ban.
I want to give these people as little attention as I can.

It's certainly possible I will invest more time in creating moderation tools. It's something I've been wanting for a long time. But I am not very eager to make any concrete promises about this.

I am genuinely surprised you think the sportmanship on dominion.games is lower then average on the internet.

One suggestion could be to join the league, or the dominion discord to find opponents. Almost everyone in those communities is nice.
Join the Dominion League!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:58:56 am »
+3

Almost all of the poor sportsmanship experiences I've had were in mid-level play. People who are really good and people who are really bad tend to be civil. Once you get above level 50 it's not an issue really.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:01:17 am by pubby »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:57:03 pm »

Almost all of the poor sportsmanship experiences I've had were in mid-level play. People who are really good and people who are really bad tend to be civil. Once you get above level 50 it's not an issue really.

This is usually true for me too.  I have gotten the occasional high ranked player who complains about my luck or their bad luck, and then proceeds to be angry the whole time. But usually it is a good experience.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:18:46 pm »

It is extremely likely there is a sportsmanship-skill positive correlation.  I think that is true of most internet games.

pyrosis

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 06:58:31 pm »
+3

I believe most of the abusive players I have encountered have been level 50-55. Almost never below 50, and I'm not a strong enough player to have much experience above level 55.

I really feel that a reporting tool would be a huge boon to the site - like somewhere where you can post a screenshot of someone cursing at you or using foul language or whatever. If there was a zero tolerance policy against this sort of abusive behavior, and a good way to report it, I believe the behavior would cease overnight.  I would be very pleased to see something like this added as a feature to the board. It has been sorely needed for a long time. As it is, these players know that they can get away with this behavior and that there is no recourse, so they just continue doing it with no fear of anything happening.

I actually believe some of these people simply enjoy having a venue where they can be a total prick in safe anonymity, never having to take responsibility for their words as they are safely hidden behind their screen.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Stef, thanks for at least considering this. I think it would be worth your time and energy to make this happen.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:32:03 am »

FWIW the blacklist button also reports the player.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 03:56:00 pm »
+2

It's true, but half of the people I blacklist aren't because they are rude, and I don't want them to be banned or anything. I just don't want to play with them anymore for one reason or another.  It would be good to have a separate "report" option.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »
+2

It's true, but half of the people I blacklist aren't because they are rude, and I don't want them to be banned or anything. I just don't want to play with them anymore for one reason or another.  It would be good to have a separate "report" option.
As one of the two mods who can even see this data, I assure you you don't need to worry about us not being able to tell the difference. Blacklist liberally.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:17:24 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:30:25 pm »

I like the Board Game Arena method on this: when you ban/thumbs down players, you have an option for reporting them and takes very few extra clicks.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 03:39:14 pm »
+1

As one of the two mods who can even see this data, I assure you you don't need to worry about us not being able to tell the difference. Blacklist liberally.

Well then maybe a solution would be to make this information known through dominion.games so everybody knows exactly what blacklisting does. 

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 03:45:04 pm »

Well then maybe a solution would be to make this information known through dominion.games so everybody knows exactly what blacklisting does.

Tell that to the guy programming the site. Or maybe don't because I'm pretty sure it's been suggested many times, along with every other possible solution to this problem.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.