Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Epic Fails Thread  (Read 5209 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Epic Fails Thread
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:58:20 am »
+1

For moments where you or another player made a very facepalm-worthy mistake.

For example, I just had a game where I for some reason thought gaining a Mystic was a good idea when I already had 3 Black Markets and had trashed all my starting Estates and Coppers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:39:32 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Fails Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 03:18:34 am »
+6

Bought academy thinking it was guildhall, then proceed to spam buy treasures for 10 turns and use my extra buys on copper.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:38:27 am »
+2

Here's one from a while back:

Don't try to Ritual a Peddler in an engine.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:42 am »
+3

Back when Making Fun was a thing, I ran into an opponent named DONTMAKEMEPLAYTHEBASESET.

I made them play the base set.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:47:53 pm »
+8

Bought Mint with multiple Crowns in play.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:53:01 pm »

Ouch, that sucks. I especially hate making on-gain/on-buy mistakes like this online, because I really want to ask for an undo (yes, I should have realized that would happen, but I truthfully didn't notice it), but I've already seen my next hand by the time the effect goes through.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
+2

Ouch, that sucks. I especially hate making on-gain/on-buy mistakes like this online, because I really want to ask for an undo (yes, I should have realized that would happen, but I truthfully didn't notice it), but I've already seen my next hand by the time the effect goes through.

There was one time where I accidentally called a Duplicate to gain an extra Curse when I bought a Gold because I didn't realize that my opponent had played a Swamp Hag on their turn. I really wish Shuffle iT made it way more obvious that Duration attacks like Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag were played, because I never notice them. Adding a little ant-sized icon to their VP/Villager/Coffers/Username bar really doesn't cut it.

I'm still mad that my opponent wouldn't let me take back what was obviously a mistake.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:03:35 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 03:47:59 am »
+2

There was the time when I absent-mindedly opened remake, with shelters, poor house, no decent 2ers, and Steward on the board.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 02:53:46 pm »

There was one time where I accidentally called a Duplicate to gain an extra Curse when I bought a Gold because I didn't realize that my opponent had played a Swamp Hag on their turn. I really wish Shuffle iT made it way more obvious that Duration attacks like Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag were played, because I never notice them. Adding a little ant-sized icon to their VP/Villager/Coffers/Username bar really doesn't cut it.

I'm still mad that my opponent wouldn't let me take back what was obviously a mistake.

Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag put the icon into the bar of the affected players, not the player who played them. So when it's your turn and you are affected, it sits there in the central status bar.

Also with the new update, it shows you an (admittedly small) picture of the card you are gaining.

But I also often misclick, because I want to do Action X and I forget that before something else happens (like trashing for Cathedral the card you actually want to play).

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »

Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag put the icon into the bar of the affected players, not the player who played them. So when it's your turn and you are affected, it sits there in the central status bar.

Also with the new update, it shows you an (admittedly small) picture of the card you are gaining.

But I also often misclick, because I want to do Action X and I forget that before something else happens (like trashing for Cathedral the card you actually want to play).

This happened about 2 months ago, so it was probably before that update, and the very small icon in the central status bar is hardly noticeable (or at least it was when this mistake occurred).

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 11:06:43 pm »
+3

I just had a classic example of failing to do basic math: I went for Masterpiece-Feodum in a game with Bandit Fort. I was thinking enough Feodum points would outweigh the Bandit Fort penalty. Then I actually did the math and realized I would need at least 7 Feodums for that to happen... which was no longer possible because my opponent was pursuing the same boneheaded strategy I was!

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:29 pm »
+8

I just had a classic example of failing to do basic math: I went for Masterpiece-Feodum in a game with Bandit Fort. I was thinking enough Feodum points would outweigh the Bandit Fort penalty. Then I actually did the math and realized I would need at least 7 Feodums for that to happen... which was no longer possible because my opponent was pursuing the same boneheaded strategy I was!

Fortunately in this situation you can always just trash the feodums and pivot to a new strategy.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 06:14:48 pm »
+2

Fortunately in this situation you can always just trash the feodums and pivot to a new strategy.

Except that he would then lose all of the points from the Feodum and gain three more Silvers, losing at least a Province worth of points and exacerbating the situation.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 06:22:01 pm »
+5

Except that he would then lose all of the points from the Feodum and gain three more Silvers, losing at least a Province worth of points and exacerbating the situation.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »
+1

Let's just say it's been a long time since I last played with Possession...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:13:49 pm by teamlyle »
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:36 am »

Let's just say it's been a long time since I last played with Possession...

Ouch. Island on the board, too!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 04:27:38 am »

Vs. AI... bought out all the Grand Markets!  But then noticed there were only 4 Provinces left... in a 6p game!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 04:34:51 am »
+1

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.