Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks  (Read 89564 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2019, 01:22:57 pm »

Online the program could just not allow the combos to come up randomly. For a tournament IRL, if that's too taxing, you can just not play with those cards. They have errata, maybe some people won't know it, hey a good reason to leave out Possession too.

Is the excitement of Golem hitting Band of Misfits so important that this stuff is actually a superior option to tossing "may" onto the card?
I don't follow. I don't see how Golem hitting BoM is relevant, and "may" only gets rid of the mandatory loop.

The mandatory loop will not happen unless someone wants it. You have to set up the board for it, then buy Inheritance with the idea that that's what it's getting you. Making it non-mandatory doesn't fix anything there; you set it up because you want to do it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2019, 03:06:00 pm »
+3

Online the program could just not allow the combos to come up randomly. For a tournament IRL, if that's too taxing, you can just not play with those cards. They have errata, maybe some people won't know it, hey a good reason to leave out Possession too.

Is the excitement of Golem hitting Band of Misfits so important that this stuff is actually a superior option to tossing "may" onto the card?
I don't follow. I don't see how Golem hitting BoM is relevant, and "may" only gets rid of the mandatory loop.

The mandatory loop will not happen unless someone wants it. You have to set up the board for it, then buy Inheritance with the idea that that's what it's getting you. Making it non-mandatory doesn't fix anything there; you set it up because you want to do it.

Golem is one of the few situations where having “may” causes the card to act different. In most situations where you don’t want the effect, you just don’t play the card.

Making it optional makes it no different from revealing Moat infinitely. You can still choose to do an infinite loop; but you aren’t stuck in it forever once you start it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2019, 06:21:04 pm »

I am curious about your general opinion on this, though. Did you notice it before announcing the errata? Do you have an opinion on how it should be handled if it actually comes up?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2019, 02:41:56 am »
+3

The rule in Magic tournament play is that if you create an infinite loop like this, and you have the option to stop the loop, you must designate how many times you would like to perform the loop, then start describing your next steps in playing the game.  This is intuitive, because you are being required to play as if you at least -ostensibly- want to win or want to draw-by-score, and players who lock the game must at least pretend they did so by mistake.  If you say "I want to win and my path to victory is to do this 1,455,207 times", you are offered a shortcut to perform the action by saying "I do this loop 1,455,207 times", and using the faster method of describing it is obligatory, the same way playing your copper without describing the history of copper's usage across civilizations every time you play one in hopes of a timed draw is obligatory.  It is actually a regular occurence in Modern, although the decks that put themselves in a position of needing to do this are like 10%, mostly Devoted Druid. 

Because Moat is already in Dominion, Dominion tournaments already require this rule.  A player who reveals Moat many times needs to specify "I reveal a Moat from my hand, and I'm still not saying whether I have several or it's the same one, 4,000,000 times."  And then things keep going.

If Band of Misfits said "may", it would be no different from Moat, and would require neither kingdom generation software changes nor changes to tournament rules beyond those already required by Moat.  (I -think- the online client already uses a commensense rule of "look man, I know you aren't getting thing out of this" and forces you to reveal each moat in your hand just 1 time, so that same commonsense rule could be evenly applied to Band of Misfits or Captain Inheritance loops, even though it's not strictly canonical).

Magic has locks that truly lock the game in an obligatory manner too.  Let's not be unfair.  I am definitely not saying, no prominent designer is ever allowing these things.  About five years ago it started to become problematic that the card Oblivion Ring (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397760) could be used to go after a draw from a losing position, if you drew two.  A professional player did it in a youtube video on the online client and it crashed the online client and people went, haha, the people who design this game are not perfect. 

They have switched to releasing variants of Oblivion Ring with wording that cannot cause the infinite loop.  And as they design new cards, they are showing signs of making sure it's not ever possible to play to a draw like it was with Oblivion Ring, because no one likes that.  Including this infamous bad boy: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=423686 who has the conspicuous word "may" in his text so he can't lock up the game.  He actually got banned for reliably creating loops that -win- the game for the user.  But hey, he did not lock up and draw the game - the only thing people hate more than losing is drawing.  Usually.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2019, 01:22:22 pm »
+6

I am curious about your general opinion on this, though. Did you notice it before announcing the errata? Do you have an opinion on how it should be handled if it actually comes up?
I didn't notice it. If the mandatory loop comes up in a game, I recommend berating the player who intentionally set up the board to get that interaction. I recommend not setting up those boards. If one of the non-mandatory loops comes up randomly, well I mean, are they your friend? They still need a 4th thing e.g. Training token to make a profit from it; if the board has such a thing, do the loop and have a story to tell. If there's no token there's no point.

There is another loop that can come up, where a player just sits there pretending to think. You can get multiple players involved - everyone just passes without playing or buying cards. The game never ends. You need solutions for this for many games, separate from me and Dominion. I'm not here to solve social problems for you.

The reason the errata went up when it did, instead of when at least one of those cards got a new printing, is because someone is making another online Dominion program (a downloadable app for phones and computers, that will exist simultaneously with the current web-based program; they have not announced it and that's up to them, and I don't know when it will come out or anything, but it can't possibly come out before January as their contract starts then). I didn't want them to have to program the other versions of Band of Misfits etc. ever. I don't know if I was fast enough there but I did what I could.

When the cards do get new printings, I'll have the opportunity to tweak them, and for this issue, which I think does not affect games irl at all but which I could still fix, the easiest fix is to care about printed cost rather than current cost, on Band of Misfits and Inheritance. That would also kill the BoM / Captain / Ferry loop, that survived this round because people clung to using BoM as a duration.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2019, 03:50:50 pm »
+1

I didn't notice it. If the mandatory loop comes up in a game, I recommend berating the player who intentionally set up the board to get that interaction. I recommend not setting up those boards. If one of the non-mandatory loops comes up randomly, well I mean, are they your friend? They still need a 4th thing e.g. Training token to make a profit from it; if the board has such a thing, do the loop and have a story to tell. If there's no token there's no point.

There is another loop that can come up, where a player just sits there pretending to think. You can get multiple players involved - everyone just passes without playing or buying cards. The game never ends. You need solutions for this for many games, separate from me and Dominion. I'm not here to solve social problems for you.

These two paragraphs are missing the point. A Training token wouldn’t help you here because once this loop begins; you can’t choose to end it. You could have $1000 to spend and 50 buys; but you couldn’t win because you can’t ever get out of your action phase.

The problem people are talking about isn’t someone being a jerk by choosing the same pointless time wasting thing over and over. That always existed with Moat, and is easy to solve; tell the person to stop. Here; you can’t tell them to stop; the game rules don’t allow them to stop.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »
+3

Is there any philosophical objection to saying that you go through the loop an infinite number of times in a finite amount of time, and then it ends? I think if something like this happened IRL, that’s what I would rule.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »
+4

Is there any philosophical objection to saying that you go through the loop an infinite number of times in a finite amount of time, and then it ends? I think if something like this happened IRL, that’s what I would rule.

Sure, why not? Have the first step of the loop take one second, and then have each subsequent step take half the time of the previous step. You've now gone through the infinite loop in 2 seconds!

Of course, if the infinite loop involved something like the journey token (if that is possible to construct), then we would have a problem. My personal idea for that case is that the journey token becomes burnt out, and you will never be able to get a face-up bonus from any journey token card for the rest of the game.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2019, 08:07:11 pm »
+2

Sure, why not? Have the first step of the loop take one second, and then have each subsequent step take half the time of the previous step. You've now gone through the infinite loop in 2 seconds!

Of course, if the infinite loop involved something like the journey token (if that is possible to construct), then we would have a problem. My personal idea for that case is that the journey token becomes burnt out, and you will never be able to get a face-up bonus from any journey token card for the rest of the game.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2019, 08:51:50 pm »
+1

I think that video was in my subconscious mind somewhere when I asked the question about the journey token. I hadn't actually remembered it consciously until I saw it again, though.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:53 am »
+2

These two paragraphs are missing the point. A Training token wouldn’t help you here because once this loop begins; you can’t choose to end it. You could have $1000 to spend and 50 buys; but you couldn’t win because you can’t ever get out of your action phase.

The problem people are talking about isn’t someone being a jerk by choosing the same pointless time wasting thing over and over. That always existed with Moat, and is easy to solve; tell the person to stop. Here; you can’t tell them to stop; the game rules don’t allow them to stop.
I don't think I've missed anything. What you've missed is that the sentence about the Training token is specifically referring to non-mandatory loops, as I mention right ahead of it. I already covered the mandatory loop a few sentences earlier.

It's possible I will do something to "fix" the loops, but for me the entire point is getting rid of the non-mandatory loops, which could conceivably come up in real games, though the ones that accomplish something are pretty rare. Internet outrage at hypothetical mandatory loops is simply misplaced. You'd have to set it up to have the experience.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:31:00 am by Donald X. »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:30 am »

I don't think I've missed anything. What you've missed is that the sentence about the Training token is specifically referring to non-mandatory loops, as I mention right ahead of it. I already covered the mandatory loop a few sentences earlier.

It's possible I will do something to "fix" the loops, but for me the entire point is getting rid of the non-mandatory loops, which could conceivably come up in real games, though the ones that accomplish something are pretty rare. Internet outrage at hypothetical mandatory loops is simply misplaced. You'd have to set it up to have the experience.

You're right, I missed the switch from mandatory to non-mandatory between sentences.

I don't think anyone in this thread was having an issue with non-mandatory loops. Aside from things like Moat, ever since Villa, Dominion has had a few different ways to "go infinite". These are just interesting combos that get you a cool win if you manage to pull them off. Sure you don't want them to be really easy to do so that the game just becomes "first player to play BoM if in certain Kingdoms automatically wins", but generally these types of combos are no different than "first player to get a hand of KC+KC+Bridge+Bridge+Bridge wins" type games.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:01:45 am by GendoIkari »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:46 pm »
+3

When the cards do get new printings, I'll have the opportunity to tweak them, and for this issue, which I think does not affect games irl at all but which I could still fix, the easiest fix is to care about printed cost rather than current cost, on Band of Misfits and Inheritance. That would also kill the BoM / Captain / Ferry loop, that survived this round because people clung to using BoM as a duration.

It feels like this would suck fun out of the game in a way that adding "may" wouldn't.  Ferry + Inheritance + Grand Market is fun; telling me I can't do it... isn't fun.  Telling me that I "may" play a card from the supply instead of just telling me to do it... sure, OK.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:51:19 pm by spiralstaircase »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2019, 04:23:35 pm »

Something that occurred to me - a rule that says something like "when a card is played from the Supply, set it aside and return it to its pile at the end of your action phase" could work very well for avoiding infinite loops.
It doesn't work; people don't remember to return the card. We tested it!

The simplest fix I have right now is for the Band of Misfits family to care about printed cost instead of cost. If Inheritance works on cards with a printed cost of up to $4, you can't Inherit Band of Misfits, and so on.

Instead of leaving it there OR setting it aside, did you try putting them in play (with an additional clause to return to the Supply when discarding), i.e. something like this:

"Play an Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, returning it to the Supply when you would discard it."

I feel like people would be more likely to remember than when setting aside since it would be in your play area (and played on top of the BoM so you don't also just clean it up onto the discard pile).

It would change interactions of course with "trash this, if you do..." cards, but that might be ok. (and if not, that could be weakened with another clause like "If you trash that card this turn, also trash this")

Obviously there'd always be edge cases:
Scheme - I think this may be OK because "when you would discard" would happen before "when you discard"?
Fortress / Bonfire: you could use this to gain a Fortress (in the Overlord case), but with the extra trashing clause, only once.

I'm sure there are others.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:02:38 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2019, 04:43:20 pm »

People just shuffle all those cards back into their deck then. It's even worse than just setting them aside.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2019, 04:50:32 pm »

People just shuffle all those cards back into their deck then. It's even worse than just setting them aside.

How is this different than for instance Travellers?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2019, 05:09:05 pm »

It feels like this would suck fun out of the game in a way that adding "may" wouldn't.  Ferry + Inheritance + Grand Market is fun; telling me I can't do it... isn't fun.  Telling me that I "may" play a card from the supply instead of just telling me to do it... sure, OK.
It would be like how awful the game was before Adventures came out. He said. No-one would have blinked if Inheritance had always dodged cost reduction, "oh that would be too strong" they'd think and so much for that.

But yes other people didn't like that either; people cling to bad things and also don't want the problems they cause. I have another direction that may work out though, to kill the loops with minimal other effects; I am turning it over in my head still and seeing if something weird turns up when Stef programs it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2019, 05:10:51 pm »
+3

Instead of leaving it there OR setting it aside, did you try putting them in play (with an additional clause to return to the Supply when discarding), i.e. something like this:

"Play an Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, returning it to the Supply when you would discard it."
That is what we tried. People did not remember often enough. It was no good. We actually tried it, that is what we tried, and we tried it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2019, 05:14:25 pm »
+3

How is this different than for instance Travellers?
The Travellers have that big arrow to desperately try to remind you to exchange them, which sometimes works. But, it's also legal to not return them.

And before someone asks, man we tried that too, back during work on Dark Ages. We tried Band of Misfits as, gain a cheaper card and play it and hey now it's yours. It doesn't have any of the same issues (its issues are in the direction of, how fast do you want the game to be anyway), and lives on as Cobbler.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2019, 06:31:00 pm »

Something that occurred to me - a rule that says something like "when a card is played from the Supply, set it aside and return it to its pile at the end of your action phase" could work very well for avoiding infinite loops.
It doesn't work; people don't remember to return the card. We tested it!

The simplest fix I have right now is for the Band of Misfits family to care about printed cost instead of cost. If Inheritance works on cards with a printed cost of up to $4, you can't Inherit Band of Misfits, and so on.

I feel like people would be more likely to remember than when setting aside since it would be in your play area (and played on top of the BoM so you don't also just clean it up onto the discard pile).

It would change interactions of course with "trash this, if you do..." cards, but that might be ok. (and if not, that could be weakened with another clause like "If you trash that card this turn, also trash this")

Obviously there'd always be edge cases:
Scheme - I think this may be OK because "when you would discard" would happen before "when you discard"?
Fortress / Bonfire: you could use this to gain a Fortress (in the Overlord case), but with the extra trashing clause, only once.

I'm sure there are others.

It would gain you free Islands, for starters.

Oh, and then there's the interaction with all of the Duration cards. You'd have to remember which cards you have to return across turns.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »
+7

OP updated as follows:

*** Update! ***

Did I say that was the errata? There is more errata.

As a result of posting the errata, people have talked about it in forums and things, and the ShuffleiT version has gotten worked on. And this has resulted in two more desired changes. Well I'm counting it as two. And well the cards still won't be printed for months at least, but the online version is changing soon, so here they are.

The first is, when you are told to get a card from your discard pile, if it's not on top, or the card is chosen, you can look through your discard pile to get the card. You don't get to look through your discard pile to take the top card (again unless you're choosing a card from your discard pile). This change is because, well the idea to messing with when you could look in your discard pile was to fix some weird situations, not to add "look through your discard pile" to cards like Watchtower that never had it. In the rare situations where you gain a card and want to use Watchtower and the card is no longer on top, you get to look through your whole discard pile; when it's on top, just take the card like you used to.

The second is, further errata for four cards to prevent loops. You could do things like, play a Bridge and use Inheritance on Band of Misfits and then play Band of Misfits to play Estate to play Band of Misfits to play Estate and it's a loop. The fix here is a type on these cards, that they then don't work with. This affects very little other than getting rid of the loops; Courtier is better with these cards, and if you e.g. have an Adventures token on Band of Misfits and wanted to play Captain to play Band of Misfits (with a Bridge) to take advantage of that, well, now that doesn't work. This fix includes Overlord even though it wasn't part of the loops, just to be safe for the future and because it looks like the other cards and this seems less confusing. And hey it was already getting errata. To avoid "non-Victory non-Command" on Inheritance, I'm dropping non-Victory, which was just there for the old way Inheritance worked.

So:

Band of Misfits: Action - Command, $5
Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there.

Overlord: Action - Command, 8D
Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there.

Inheritance: Event, $7
Once per game: Set aside a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. Move your Estate token to it. (During your turns, Estates are also Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there.")

Captain: Action - Duration - Command, $6
Now and at the start of your next turn: Play a non-Duration non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4, leaving it there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:03:34 pm by Donald X. »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2019, 09:45:02 pm »

So, are the only "Action - Command" cards in the game currently these ones you just listed? I.e., Band of Misfits, Overlord, and Captain can't play each other but can still play every other card that they used to be able to play before this change?

Sheogorath

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2019, 12:27:41 am »
+1

Where does Necromancer fall in all of this? It's similar in functionality in that it plays cards from the trash rather than from the supply. Would it gain the Command type or will that be reserved for cards that play from the supply (and thus you don't have to bother errata-ing Necromancer too since there is no other reason for play)?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2019, 01:32:18 am »
+3

It feels like Necromancer should be a Command card. Even though it’s not involved in the infinite loops, it just seems like it should be for consistency.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2019, 01:53:28 am »

With Inheritance, should Estates gain the Command type as well as the Action type? I’m thinking that would make it more consistent with the other Commands.

One case I’ve thought of where it could matter (no clue if there might be more cases) is if the Inherited card’s pile—say, Conspirator—has emptied, but Estates have not. In that scenario, other Commands could still play a Conspirator by first playing an Estate from the Supply. For most Inherited cards there’s no real benefit, but this allows you to draw a starting hand of four Coppers and one BoM, and still get the +1 Card/+1 Action from Conspirator.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:57:11 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.