Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks  (Read 89559 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2019, 10:16:44 am »
+2

I know this may not be appropriate to say it here, but I really want an errata to Haunted Woods. I don't like how it utterly screws Night Cards, and it also doesn't really fits flavour wise. A possible change would be: "Untill your next turn, when any player buys a card, they reveal their hand and put their non-Night cards onto their deck in any order"

i thought that was the whole point of haunted woods

It's not the point, because Haunted Woods (Adventures) was around before Night cards were (Nocturne). I think the point was that most of the cards left in hand on your buy are usually useless, like Estates and such. Night cards were not in mind.

Although I personally think that it's fine if Night cards are affected, because there are very few cards which are useful all the time. This is just one of the situations when Night cards aren't that great, and if you recognize that at the beginning of the game, you probably won't buy them.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2019, 11:01:43 am »
+1

It must have been completely pointless before Nocturne then.

(Not saying that there are any reasons to change it.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:03:21 am by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2019, 11:07:49 am »
+3

About the new "stop-moving" rules. Read literally, since it doesn't mention keeping or losing track, it now seems that a card that is moved and then put back, CAN be moved. This would be a change from the old lose-track rule. For instance Prince a Duplicate; start of turn it goes to the Tavern, then call it that same turn, Prince sets it aside.

I don't think Prince-Duplicate is an example of that though. A called Duplicate is not actually in play, so it hasn't really returned to its previous state.

A called card is definitely in play exactly the same as a regular card you played this turn. This matters for Peddler’s cost among other things.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2019, 12:54:49 pm »
+1

I know this may not be appropriate to say it here, but I really want an errata to Haunted Woods. I don't like how it utterly screws Night Cards, and it also doesn't really fits flavour wise. A possible change would be: "Untill your next turn, when any player buys a card, they reveal their hand and put their non-Night cards onto their deck in any order"

It's not the point, because Haunted Woods (Adventures) was around before Night cards were (Nocturne). I think the point was that most of the cards left in hand on your buy are usually useless, like Estates and such. Night cards were not in mind.

Although I personally think that it's fine if Night cards are affected, because there are very few cards which are useful all the time. This is just one of the situations when Night cards aren't that great, and if you recognize that at the beginning of the game, you probably won't buy them.

Yes, the point is that it's like Bureaucrat, forcing you to top deck dead cards. The fact that it affects Night cards is just something you have to deal with, and there aren't that many of them anyway. Mentioning Night cards on the card itself would not make any sense as Adventures does not have them and came out before they even existed for that matter.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2019, 11:26:50 am »

Another infinite combo:
1. Inherit BoM
2. Play BoM or Estate (which plays BoM)
3. Play Estate from the Supply with BoM
4. Repeat
This doesn't work?  Estate is a 2$ Action Victory that reads "play an action card from the supply that costs less than this, leaving it there", so you play a Poor House from the supply, then you are done.

If there is secret magic ways the Estate is both 2$ and 5$ and you can loop Estate and BoM as two men who are each taller than the other then these errata have not gone nearly far enough to clarify these cards for me.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2019, 11:45:09 am »
+1

Another infinite combo:
1. Inherit BoM
4. Repeat
This doesn't work?  Estate is a 2$ Action Victory that reads "play an action card from the supply that costs less than this, leaving it there", so you play a Poor House from the supply, then you are done.

Nope—Estate now causes the set-aside BoM to be played, which has its normal cost.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2019, 01:32:03 pm »

Another infinite combo:
1. Inherit BoM
4. Repeat

Nope—Estate now causes the set-aside BoM to be played, which has its normal cost.
I see now, there are two erratas to take into account.

These errata seem to violate the idea that a 3 card combo that locks out the gamestate isn't acceptable (KC-Goons-Masquerade), then?
Ferry, BoM, Inheritance.
Opponent is on the play and connects Treasure Maps immediately or gets some other insurmountable lead.
Ferry BoM, Inherit BoM, there are no 2's (pretty common), play an Estate, the game cannot ever end, no impact on my win-loss-draw record.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »

Another infinite combo:
1. Inherit BoM
4. Repeat

I see now, there are two erratas to take into account.

These errata seem to violate the idea that a 3 card combo that locks out the gamestate isn't acceptable (KC-Goons-Masquerade), then?
Ferry, BoM, Inheritance.
Opponent is on the play and connects Treasure Maps immediately or gets some other insurmountable lead.
Ferry BoM, Inherit BoM, there are no 2's (pretty common), play an Estate, the game cannot ever end, no impact on my win-loss-draw record.

Doing this by itself is no different than simply revealing a Moat infinitely when an opponent plays an attack. If you also have some sort of Adventures token on a pile, then you can use this to get an infinite amount of resources and buy out the game in a win.... which is no different than any other infinite loop that exists using Villa, etc.

The KC-Goons-Masq thing wasn't an issue of locking the gamestate.... using it wasn't just a way of infinitely delaying taking an actual turn. It made it so that one player could continue to play as normal; slowing building towards a win, while the other player could no longer take any turns.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2019, 02:53:45 pm »
+5

This is different than revealing a moat infinitely. With the moat example, at each point you make the decision "do i want to reveal moat?", and as soon as you stop, the game continues. The game never really locks because you could just choose no at any point to continue.

With this case, once you play your BoM, the game, not the player, generates an infinite sequence of events playing BoM. Neither player can choose to stop it. If you did this in dominion online, if it is implemented correctly, the game should immediately crash for reaching a truly infinite loop.

MtG explicitly distinguishes these cases in the rules. In the first case, if either player can make a decision to break the loop, they must do so. In the second case, MtG declares the game a draw.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2019, 03:36:20 pm »

With this case, once you play your BoM, the game, not the player, generates an infinite sequence of events playing BoM. Neither player can choose to stop it. If you did this in dominion online, if it is implemented correctly, the game should immediately crash for reaching a truly infinite loop.

I don't follow. Each time you play Band of Misfits, you have to choose what card in the supply it plays. If you keep picking Estate that's your own fault.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »
+4

In the world described, you don't have a choice. The only Action card in the supply costing less than BoM is Estate, so you have to play BoM as Estate.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2019, 04:13:39 pm »

In the world described, you don't have a choice. The only Action card in the supply costing less than BoM is Estate, so you have to play BoM as Estate.

Somehow, I didn't think of that scenario even though I recently had to give one of my fan cards a convoluted wording in order to avoid a very similar scenario.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2019, 09:09:27 am »
+1

Ah, that's quite different then... this is nothing like KC+Goons+Masq either.

A simple fix would be for new BoM to say "you may".

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2019, 10:45:26 am »
+4

I guess it's fortunate that in an Actual Game, people are very unlikely to buy either Band of Misfits or Inheritance if there are no actions costing less than $5.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2019, 11:08:21 am »
+1

I guess it's fortunate that in an Actual Game, people are very unlikely to buy either Band of Misfits or Inheritance if there are no actions costing less than $5.

True, but this could also happen in a game where there are actions costing less then than 5, but their piles have been emptied (as BoM requires the card it plays to be in the Supply).

Still it would at most be two piles (or three for a 5-6 player game), reducing the utility of buying BoM.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:09:22 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2019, 11:47:56 am »
+1

Once a player is incentivized to perform this combo because they're losing, it's irrelevant that Band of Misfits doesn't seem very useful "the way God intended"; you want to perform the combo.  In an old school KC-Goons-Steward-Black Market kingdom, a thinned player who sees Masquerade in the Black Market is not going to be "unlikely to buy Masquerade".
You might not have either BoM or Inheritance at the time you realize you're losing enough that you should force a draw, but that's 12$ of purchases you need to make before your opponent makes 64$ of purchases.  You have plenty of time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:52:58 am by popsofctown »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2019, 03:47:44 pm »
+1

Once a player is incentivized to perform this combo because they're losing, it's irrelevant that Band of Misfits doesn't seem very useful "the way God intended"; you want to perform the combo.  In an old school KC-Goons-Steward-Black Market kingdom, a thinned player who sees Masquerade in the Black Market is not going to be "unlikely to buy Masquerade".
You might not have either BoM or Inheritance at the time you realize you're losing enough that you should force a draw, but that's 12$ of purchases you need to make before your opponent makes 64$ of purchases.  You have plenty of time.

Offline, the other guy can just go "okay, get to the point", the same reason you can't reveal Moat an infinite number of times to stop the game from advancing.

Online, most tournaments have a stalemate rule that could be modified to basically say "don't give yourself an unbounded number of decisions to prevent the gamestate from meaningfully advancing". On the ladder, I guess it works for now.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to fix this issue in the cards, you can just make this kind of extension illegal manually for tournaments, and in the ladder, well, it's gonna happen no more than once or twice ever.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2019, 09:12:33 pm »

Online, most tournaments have a stalemate rule that could be modified to basically say "don't give yourself an unbounded number of decisions to prevent the gamestate from meaningfully advancing". On the ladder, I guess it works for now.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to fix this issue in the cards, you can just make this kind of extension illegal manually for tournaments, and in the ladder, well, it's gonna happen no more than once or twice ever.

How exactly would you make such a rule, though? Inheriting Band of Misfits and playing Band of Misfits are totally legal options in and of themselves.

In some chess tournaments, I think it's possible to force a draw if you're losing by making your opponent to repeat a certain number of moves. The same principle could apply here; it's a trick you could pull out to save yourself from a loss.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2019, 09:53:22 pm »
+1

Online the program could just not allow the combos to come up randomly. For a tournament IRL, if that's too taxing, you can just not play with those cards. They have errata, maybe some people won't know it, hey a good reason to leave out Possession too.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2019, 09:56:30 pm »
+4

Online against a bot, I created a Kingdom specifically designed so that I could quickly and easily get the game into an infinite loop state where Captain and Band of Misfits can only play each other. Playing BoM or Captain causes the game to freeze.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2019, 02:26:41 pm »

How exactly would you make such a rule, though? Inheriting Band of Misfits and playing Band of Misfits are totally legal options in and of themselves.

In some chess tournaments, I think it's possible to force a draw if you're losing by making your opponent to repeat a certain number of moves. The same principle could apply here; it's a trick you could pull out to save yourself from a loss.

It's not a tournament rule, it's actually part of the official rules of chess, but also, it's based on positions rather than moves.  The rule is called draw by repetition, and basically means that either player has the option (not required) to claim a draw if the same *position* has occurred or is about to occur at least three times in the game (they do not have to be on consecutive moves either), with the same player having the move and the same set of legal moves available.  The moves that reached those positions, however, can be different, and you can repeat the same move any number of times in a game, as long as other pieces are in different positions each time.  I'm not really sure what the equivalent of "position" would be in Dominion though

But more to the point, Dominion is a point-based game.  Chess doesn't have points, it just has a single victory condition (checkmate your opponent) that one works towards, and which it is possible (and in high-level play actually quite common - the top players generally draw around half their games) to end up in a situation where it's impossible for either player to achieve.  Because of that, rules such as draw by repetition make sense - situations like that generally indicate that neither player has a reasonable chance of actually checkmating their opponent, since otherwise the player in the stronger position would simply make different moves to avoid the repetition.  The same applies to other draw rules in Chess, such as the 50-move rule which states that either player may claim a draw if 50 moves have passed without any captures or pawn moves.  In almost all cases, if that situation occurs it indicates that neither player has a chance of winning.  So, those draw rules boil down to "call it a draw if no one can actually win". A situation like this in Dominion, on the other hand, would be quite different, since it means that a player who has fewer points would be able to force a draw that their opponent would have no hope of blocking.  It would be a cheap trick to avoid a genuine loss
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:45 pm »

Online the program could just not allow the combos to come up randomly. For a tournament IRL, if that's too taxing, you can just not play with those cards. They have errata, maybe some people won't know it, hey a good reason to leave out Possession too.

Something that occurred to me - a rule that says something like "when a card is played from the Supply, set it aside and return it to its pile at the end of your action phase" could work very well for avoiding infinite loops.  Each time you play the BoM or Captain, you set one card aside, and thus, eventually you'd hit the bottom of that pile and break the loop.  Since there's already the rule that you can't play a card from an empty pile, that would fit quite well there, and, in fact, turn that "can't play from an empty pile" rule into simply a natural consequence of the "set-aside" rule.  It's also similar in concept to how the Necromancer can only play a card from the trash a single time.

In most cases, the set-aside rule would work exactly the same as before (and might actually make it slightly easier to remember what a BoM is being played as), the only situations where it would make a difference are in infinite loops like this and occasionally in situations where one wants to play multiple BoM's, but there's fewer cards left in the pile that you want to play them as than BoM's
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:54:21 pm by mxdata »
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2019, 04:02:20 pm »

Something that occurred to me - a rule that says something like "when a card is played from the Supply, set it aside and return it to its pile at the end of your action phase" could work very well for avoiding infinite loops.  Each time you play the BoM or Captain, you set one card aside, and thus, eventually you'd hit the bottom of that pile and break the loop.  Since there's already the rule that you can't play a card from an empty pile, that would fit quite well there, and, in fact, turn that "can't play from an empty pile" rule into simply a natural consequence of the "set-aside" rule.  It's also similar in concept to how the Necromancer can only play a card from the trash a single time.

In most cases, the set-aside rule would work exactly the same as before (and might actually make it slightly easier to remember what a BoM is being played as), the only situations where it would make a difference are in infinite loops like this and occasionally in situations where one wants to play multiple BoM's, but there's fewer cards left in the pile that you want to play them as than BoM's

Wait ... no, I just realized that that would create a couple of other problems.  The first issue is split piles.  If setting aside the top card of a split pile reveals a different card, then a second BoM could play that, despite it not being on top of the pile originally.  Whether that's a serious problem or not (or even a plus) could be argued

But more seriously are knights (well, technically also ruins, but I doubt many people are using their BoM to play a ruin).  With Ferry, any of the knights can be played by BoM, and even without it, Sir Martin can be played if it's on top.  So, when you set a knight aside by this rule, do you then reveal the next knight?  If you do, then that would create a situation where players now know know the order of the top two (or potentially more if multiple BoMs is played) knights.  If you don't, then that would essentially create a restriction where knight can only be played once by BoM or similar cards.  Technically this issue can also arise if you use ambassador to return a knight to the supply, but A) I doubt that happens very often, and B) unless every other player uses a Moat or similar card, someone's going to get the knight that was returned, so in practice it would rarely result in the top two cards being known
They/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2019, 12:22:27 am »
+1

Is the excitement of Golem hitting Band of Misfits so important that this stuff is actually a superior option to tossing "may" onto the card?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2019, 01:20:45 pm »

Something that occurred to me - a rule that says something like "when a card is played from the Supply, set it aside and return it to its pile at the end of your action phase" could work very well for avoiding infinite loops.
It doesn't work; people don't remember to return the card. We tested it!

The simplest fix I have right now is for the Band of Misfits family to care about printed cost instead of cost. If Inheritance works on cards with a printed cost of up to $4, you can't Inherit Band of Misfits, and so on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.795 seconds with 20 queries.