Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Captain / Encampment bug  (Read 1981 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Captain / Encampment bug
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:01:11 am »
+1

Game #30346979

This turn:
Turn 9 - ednever
e starts their turn.
e plays an Encampment. (Captain).
e draws a Copper and a Replace.
e gets +2 Actions.
e plays a Silk Merchant.
e draws 2 Coppers.
e gets +1 Buy.
e plays a Silk Merchant.
e draws an Estate and a Replace.
e gets +1 Buy.
e plays a Hideout.
e draws an Estate.
e gets +2 Actions.
e trashes a Copper.
e plays a Replace.
e trashes an Estate.
e gains a Hideout.
e topdecks a card.
e plays a Replace.
e trashes an Estate.
e gains a Silk Merchant.
e gets +1 Villager.
e gets +1 Coffers.
e topdecks a card.
e plays 3 Coppers and a Silver. (+$5)
e uses 1 Coffers. (+$1)
e buys and gains 3 Encampments.
e returns an Encampment to the Encampment pile.
e draws a Copper, an Estate, a Hideout and 2 Silk Merchants.

-=-=-
What happened:
I played a Captain, chose Encampment (did not show a gold)
At the end of the turn I bought 3 Encampments
Then it returned one of the Encampments I just bought to the supply

I am pretty sure this is wrong and I think I know why it happened.

When I played Captain to play the Encampment, it should check to see if I revealed a gold. I did not, so it should set aside and return to the supply at the end of the turn. But Captain says, "Leave it there", which overrules the card so it is not set aside.

That should be the end and the game continues.

But I think there must be code at the end of the turn that SHOULD say: "Are there any Encampments set aside that need to be returned? If so, return them to the supply"

But instead the code must take a short cut and say, "Were any Encampments played this turn and a gold not revealed? If so, return an encampment to the supply."

So (on of) the brand new encampment(s) I purchased was returned.

-=-=
But I have been wrong on these things before...

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Captain / Encampment bug
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »

Yep, it's a bug.

The reason is probably slightly different, I'm 99% sure it returned the exact Encampent that you played with Captain (the one on top of the Encampment pile at that time). Normally that's exactly the right thing to do, but it was missed that the Encampment's return effect should expect the Encampment in the set aside zone.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 03:28:28 pm »
+2

There is a subtle flaw in your understanding of the rules, however. Captain's "leaving it there" does not directly prevent Encampment from setting itself aside. You play Captain, which plays Encampment, leaving it there. All this means is that the Encampment doesn't go to your play area. Then Encampment tries to set itself aside, but it isn't in play where it expects to find itself, so it fails. Then, at the start of cleanup, it tries to return itself to the supply from set-aside-land, which fails because it's not set aside.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:26 am »

Do you actually know if anything was returned? It seems unlikely that an Encampment you bought was actually returned; those were already in your discard pile. Like Ingix said; it seems more likely that it "returned" the one that was already there; which means it didn't actually do anything.

If that's correct; the only bug here is in the log; not in the actual game. From the looks of the earlier Encampment play; it looks like the normal behavior of the log is to ignore instructions that failed due to Lose Track. Though it would make more sense to me if the log recorded these things as they were ("e failed to set Encampment aside" and e failed to return Encampment to the supply").
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:30:44 am »

Do you actually know if anything was returned? It seems unlikely that an Encampment you bought was actually returned; those were already in your discard pile. Like Ingix said; it seems more likely that it "returned" the one that was already there; which means it didn't actually do anything.

If that's correct; the only bug here is in the log; not in the actual game. From the looks of the earlier Encampment play; it looks like the normal behavior of the log is to ignore instructions that failed due to Lose Track. Though it would make more sense to me if the log recorded these things as they were ("e failed to set Encampment aside" and e failed to return Encampment to the supply").

It was definitely returned.

I bought three that turn (exposing the treasure I think), and the next turn the other player picked up some more - result was I ended up with 2 for the game and he had 3.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 12:23:38 pm »

I think you misunderstood me, all things indicate that an Encampment that was in the discard got returned to the supply pile. On turn 9, when the buy phase starts, there are 8 cards in the Encampment/Plunder pile. After buying 3, there should be 5 cards left, showing the first Plunder. But on replay, after that turn, there are 6 cards in that pile, the top being an Encampment.

As I said above, the one Encampment that was played via Captain got 'earmarked' by the game to be returned to the supply at the start of cleanup, and that was what (incorrectly) happened.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 01:05:17 pm »

I think you misunderstood me, all things indicate that an Encampment that was in the discard got returned to the supply pile. On turn 9, when the buy phase starts, there are 8 cards in the Encampment/Plunder pile. After buying 3, there should be 5 cards left, showing the first Plunder. But on replay, after that turn, there are 6 cards in that pile, the top being an Encampment.

As I said above, the one Encampment that was played via Captain got 'earmarked' by the game to be returned to the supply at the start of cleanup, and that was what (incorrectly) happened.

I got mixed up about the fact that the one that was played was also the same one that was bought.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.