Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: ThunderDominion Card List Results, 2019  (Read 32178 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: ThunderDominion Card List Results, 2019
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
+1

I'm confused how Hideout fell so low here. It's a cantrip trasher. Sure it's a bit slow but it has incidental +2 Actions and it could move up a few spots.

Have you seen what's above it? Renaissance is a stack expansion (even though I can see some cards dropping below hideout).

I guess with Hideout, it's slow at thinning your deck when not just targetting treasure. But, trashing copper early is not great for your economy, and trashing estate is just economy neutral. A lot of other early game trashers give a more meaningful benefit for the early game than Hideout, which is a bit rough for a $4. I see it as a more convenient early trasher than Sacrifice but worse than Spice Merchant Or anything that gives +$2 on trashing Estates or +$3 on trashing copper (Salvager, Priest, Moneylender).

It is a trasher and a village, should not be undersold as a "cantrip trasher". While Junk Dealer is a cantrip trasher with +coin, Hideout has +action.

The tricky thing with Hideout is that you want a trasher early in the game but you want a village later in the game. (If you want a useful village early in the game, you'd go for Walled Village.) Junk Dealer's bonus is quite a bit more useful in the early game. The compulsory trashing can be an annoyance with both cards but I can see the extra action of Hideout being more useful for the engine than Junk Dealer's one coin, so you may be more willing to sac a card to keep your engine running.

A tricky card. A wonderful card.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »
+5

In my experience, you have a better time if you think of Hideout as a cantrip trasher that happens to act like a village, rather than a village that comes with trashing. You can't sustain a ton of Hideouts but it's nice as a backup Village.

Captain is really good. Saying that Captain isn't that great because Band of Misfits isn't that good is like saying that Lab isn't that great because it's just Moat with +1 Action. The duration effect is the entire reason that Captain is good...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2019, 06:36:51 pm »
+1

Mystic is underrated. Count is way underrated.
no comment on rebuild?

I don't even know what to think of Rebuild at this point. It's been worshipped, it's been denigrated.

[Count is] a card that is good in the very early game for trashing... In the middle of the game though, it's rather unimpressive compared to what you terminals you could be playing.

The same could also be said of Chapel.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2019, 07:08:11 am »

The duration effect is the entire reason that Captain is good...

Exactly.

Summon allows you to play an additional $4 card next turn, but you have too choose the card before seeing your hand.

Cobbler allows you to choose a sixth card depending on your hand, but won't play it for you.

Captain's duration lets you have the cake and eat it.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2019, 12:43:49 pm »
+1

Mystic is underrated. Count is way underrated.
no comment on rebuild?

I don't even know what to think of Rebuild at this point. It's been worshipped, it's been denigrated.

[Count is] a card that is good in the very early game for trashing... In the middle of the game though, it's rather unimpressive compared to what you terminals you could be playing.

The same could also be said of Chapel.

Chapel trashes more in the early game, can be opened with any $3-$4 cost and potentially a $5, and is still good at trashing in the midgame because of its flexibility. Count might become completely unusable for trashing quite early in the game due to the tempo loss of having to discard or topdeck your good cards, and is rather poor at dealing with a steady stream of junk.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.