Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Upgrading to Silver or Gold?  (Read 4789 times)

cataldo11w

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Upgrading to Silver or Gold?
« on: August 28, 2019, 11:26:21 pm »
+1

Very basic strategy question here, and it may not even be worthy of asking, but I am curious what info/opinions people might have.

In a hand with a silver and a copper, when using a Mine, which do you upgrade? Copper --> Silver or Silver --> Gold?

Any explanations or thoughts would be much appreciated. Apologies if its a 6:1 Half a Dozen type question.

PortenoZag

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to Silver or Gold?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:37:25 pm »

In my opinion, the gap between Copper and Silver is greater than the gap between Silver and Gold, so I would do Copper --> Silver. This is because Copper is pretty much always a junk card, whereas Silver usually isn't (or at least is less junk). So Copper --> Silver replaces a junk card with something good, whereas Silver --> Gold just replaces something good with something better.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:31:37 am »

I would more often than not upgrade Silver to Gold, because one good turn is often better than two mediocre turns, and the Gold might give you good turns.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:51:28 am »
+1

Depending on other handcards. E.g. Moneylender, Fountain, Merchant, Sauna, ...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 03:53:52 am by dirkdebeule »
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 05:06:49 am »
+2

Pst is correct and if there's trashing or sifting (or discard attacks in your opponent's deck), you want to be able to trash/discard the Copper and keep the Gold instead of having two Silvers. So the default thing to do should be Silver to Gold and then if there's a reason why you actually want Silvers, you'll probably realize that yourself during the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:54:34 am »
+4

In the base game, here's what pushes you to Gold:
- Militia (Need Gold to green from a 3 card hand)
- Remodel in the late game (Province)
- Witch (junk means less consistency, so you want bigger "spikes")
- Moneylender (another mechanism to clear Copper)

Here's what pushes you to Silver:
- Remodel any other part of the game (Silvers can become 5s, Coppers can't become anything)
- Merchant
- Absence of any other way to trash copper, somewhat

If you aren't sure, go Silver to Gold.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:44:46 am »
+3

Another reason to trash Copper over Silver is if you only have a few non gold treasures remaining.

GGGSC to GGGSS vs  GGGSC to GGGGC

This way on the next shuffle you have less chance of drawing Mine without a target.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:42:59 pm »
+6

The bigger strategy here is if you should buy mine at all. Typically, you shouldn't!

cataldo11w

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »

Appreciate the responses, especially pubby. I can see that Mine is probably not the best card to buy, as enticing as it sounds at times. I tend to fall into its trap for whatever reason, especially in a game that I am getting +actions. Some good strategy points though, thank you all!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 03:46:40 pm »
+1

To evaluate its strength, you can think of Mine as a Workshop variant that can only gain a Poacher, but it gives you +$1 on the turn you play it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 10:39:55 am »

To evaluate its strength, you can think of Mine as a Workshop variant that can only gain a Poacher, but it gives you +$1 on the turn you play it.

This is interesting, because it made me think about "why does that sound like a far more passable 5$ compared to my own willingness to buy Mine?"
I think Mine is -slightly- worse than the card you described because a Poacher could end up alongside any of the cards in your deck, including the good ones, so you spike, while the upgraded Silver always appears "with" the copper it originally was, and copper is a bad card, so you are slightly less likely to spike.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 10:41:38 am »

This is interesting, because it made me think about "why does that sound like a far more passable 5$ compared to my own willingness to buy Mine?"
I think Mine is -slightly- worse than the card you described because a Poacher could end up alongside any of the cards in your deck, including the good ones, so you spike, while the upgraded Silver always appears "with" the copper it originally was, and copper is a bad card, so you are slightly less likely to spike.

Well there's also the fact that Mine can just miss... be drawn without a Copper or Silver to upgrade.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 10:46:30 am »

I am not a smart man
But I know what love is

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 10:51:15 am »
+1

Probably because you overrate how good a Workshop that can only gain Poachers is.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 01:01:31 pm »
+3

From the title, I thought you were asking about subscriptions on Shuffle iT lol
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:23 am »
+2

Probably because you overrate how good a Workshop that can only gain Poachers is.
I think the bigger problem is that the Poacher analogy only works if your deck can't get rid of Coppers otherwise, and the majority of decks can.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.