Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What things care about the 2E shuffle mechanism?  (Read 2881 times)

Phil

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sunfall
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
What things care about the 2E shuffle mechanism?
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:52:08 am »
+2

I'm not a fan of the change to how shuffling works in 2E in real life; on d.g I don't care because, hey, computers.  IRL, though, I don't like that I need to count how many cards I have left to draw before I go, "oh, wait, shuffle before drawing these."  It feels inelegant.

Ignoring the fact that Stash got reworded to have the same effect--I have a 1E copy of Stash anyhow--what cares about the change to the shuffle mechanism?

The only thing that comes to mind is Star Chart, which is slightly stronger with the 1E shuffle, as you can look at the half-hand you draw before you decide what to put on top.  Given that it's a Project that everyone can buy, I don't actually care that it's slightly stronger.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: What things care about the 2E shuffle mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:59:00 am »
+1

At the time Dominion 2nd edition came out, it was only Stash. After that we have had Nocturne and Renaissance. It sounds right that it would be only Star Chart.

As you note, Stash was changhed, but actually it's not entirely accurate now. It doesn't take into consideration the cards Annex, Donate, Famine and Inn. Normally you shuffle your discard pile, not your remaining deck, but those cards let you shuffle your remaining deck. So Stash literally says you get to look through your deck before placing Stash in it, which is not the case. Maybe it would be better to keep the old wording on Stash, and have it work the same way as Star Chart. But maybe the thought is that Stash would get too weak. It's already so weak though that I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:30:16 pm »
+1

It indirectly buffs Library, Hunting Party, and other cards that reveal as you draw, when combined with Star Chart.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »

It indirectly buffs Library, Hunting Party, and other cards that reveal as you draw, when combined with Star Chart.

I don't see how the rules change makes a difference there. You shuffle at the same time anyway, and have seen all the revealed cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:17:00 pm »

I don't see how the rules change makes a difference there. You shuffle at the same time anyway, and have seen all the revealed cards.

I think he means when compared to regular draw like Smithy. Smithy + Star Chart is weaker under the new rule, while Library + Star Chart is the same.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:20:06 pm »

At the time Dominion 2nd edition came out, it was only Stash. After that we have had Nocturne and Renaissance. It sounds right that it would be only Star Chart.

As you note, Stash was changhed, but actually it's not entirely accurate now. It doesn't take into consideration the cards Annex, Donate, Famine and Inn. Normally you shuffle your discard pile, not your remaining deck, but those cards let you shuffle your remaining deck. So Stash literally says you get to look through your deck before placing Stash in it, which is not the case. Maybe it would be better to keep the old wording on Stash, and have it work the same way as Star Chart. But maybe the thought is that Stash would get too weak. It's already so weak though that I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

Wasn’t first edition Stash already inaccurate in the same way? Both editions play as if they actually refer to shuffling a set of cards with Stash itself in it, don’t they?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 05:42:16 pm »
+1

I think he means when compared to regular draw like Smithy. Smithy + Star Chart is weaker under the new rule, while Library + Star Chart is the same.

Then it would be more accurate to say that Smithy is gimped when combined with Star Chart, which is true even without comparing to Library.

Wasn’t first edition Stash already inaccurate in the same way? Both editions play as if they actually refer to shuffling a set of cards with Stash itself in it, don’t they?

The first edition was not inaccurate since it didn't refer to looking at any card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 11:20:51 am »

Then it would be more accurate to say that Smithy is gimped when combined with Star Chart, which is true even without comparing to Library.

The first edition was not inaccurate since it didn't refer to looking at any card.

I guess it was inaccurate in a different way; since it failed to mention that the Stash itself needs to be among the shuffled cards for its ability to do anything. I misread what you were saying at first.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 02:17:30 pm »
+1

I guess it was inaccurate in a different way; since it failed to mention that the Stash itself needs to be among the shuffled cards for its ability to do anything. I misread what you were saying at first.

That's true, and the 2nd edition actually corrected that inaccuracy. But it was a purely technical inaccuracy, nobody actually thought you could take all the Stashes in the game and put them in your deck whenever you shuffle. The new one can potentially create confusion.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 05:45:51 am »
+3

I do.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »

I still don't understand any of it, but I don't have Stash.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.