Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How much would each prize cost if they were kingdom cards?  (Read 3048 times)

nevillelongbottom

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
How much would each prize cost if they were kingdom cards?
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

either a regular stack of 10, or perhaps just the 1 of each set out as additional piles?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: How much would each prize cost if they were kingdom cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:03 pm »
+1

I have a feeling this has been done before.

But I'll give it a try.....

Duchy would cost $5, shazam!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

That's an interesting question. Of course, the answer is different depending on whether there's 1 or 10 in the supply.

Followers, for instance, is a much stronger Attack if it is the only card available that gives Curses, and no one can have it except the first person who obtains it. So if there is only 1 Followers in the supply, it probably costs... $7? But if there are 10 of them in the supply, I'm not sure it's substantially more powerful than Goons, so maybe $6.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »

And Trusty Steed... if you could buy bunches of them, would probably be really, really strong. It has so many options, and would be dominant like, always. It would even be good for Big Money. You would have to price it at $7 at least. I can't really see ever buying it if it was more expensive than that, though. Seems broken at $6 or $8.

I don't have a very good feel for the other prizes, as I rarely buy them. Bag of Gold is probably fine at $6. It's comparable to Hoard (better in the sense that you don't have to buy Victory cards that actually bring your deck down, but worse in the sense that it's not +$2... although if you have a drawing component, it's +$3, so maybe it is straight up better than Hoard, but not $7 good).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:36:31 pm »
+1

I have a feeling this has been done before.

But I'll give it a try.....

Duchy would cost $5, shazam!

When did Duchy become a Prize? ;)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

Assuming a 10 stack of them in supply I think you'd have to price Princess at $7 at the very least. You can't KC or TR it, but it's just so strong if you can ever play more than one of them. I'd even consider $8 as a possibility, having one of them gives you a strong chance at a double Province turn in the future so it doesn't actually kill your tempo much.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:53:27 pm »

Diadem on the other hand seems most reasonable as a $5. $6 makes it too weak, I mean sure it's easy to be as good as a Gold, but then you have to plan to waste your actions, which would make the game boring. Price it at $6 and it falls into the problem Adventurer has, yeah sure it's good, but it's not as reliably good as a Gold.

At $5 it's possible to build an engine around it, but it won't break the game.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »

Assuming a 10 stack of them in supply I think you'd have to price Princess at $7 at the very least. You can't KC or TR it, but it's just so strong if you can ever play more than one of them. I'd even consider $8 as a possibility, having one of them gives you a strong chance at a double Province turn in the future so it doesn't actually kill your tempo much.

Agreed. Princess isn't the best Prize, but once removed from its usual gain problems of "obtain a Province, pair with Tournament, Followers and Steed are already gone, not Duchy time yet," it would be really strong. $8 might actually be the better price for it.

Diadem on the other hand seems most reasonable as a $5. $6 makes it too weak, I mean sure it's easy to be as good as a Gold, but then you have to plan to waste your actions, which would make the game boring. Price it at $6 and it falls into the problem Adventurer has, yeah sure it's good, but it's not as reliably good as a Gold.

At $5 it's possible to build an engine around it, but it won't break the game.

I think you could price Diadem at $5, but it would be a rather strong card. Now you are free to over-invest in Villages like mad. With Fishing Village, or Hamlet, (City, obviously), or even lesser villages like Worker's, this is just a really strong card. I don't think it's broken necessarily, but if you priced it at $6, you would have more of a niche card, instead of a powerhouse.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »

I think for all of them as 10 card stacks they're all probably getting in at around $6-$7.

Followers is a strange one, it's really powerful but it's a cursing attack that gets stronger as the game goes on. Gaining an estate really kills it as a junker, as you junk yourself, so really it's just the +2 cards, +2 vps and discard to 3 that really happens. If there's good trashing, then it's not even really +2 vps, just +2 cards and discard to 3 with deck slowdown on both sides. In that case, it's not really any better than militia. Lategame, of course, your opponents are increasingly unlikely to actually trash your curses and your estates are good, so it's much nicer. I think, considering it being slightly weaker early, that it'd be fine at $6. I'm not convinced it'd be that much better than Gold, really, if at all.

Trusty Steed has some powerful options. It's Gardens best friend, and +2 cards, +2 coin is a solid option as a $6, and +2 cards, +2 actions is better than Lab at $5. Considering it's versatility, I suspect you'd want this to cost $7 - getting lots of them isn't really that amazing, but when they collide they're still very effective (get 3 in a hand, you can still get 6 coin now and 8 silvers, for example). If it cost $6, I think they'd generally be chosen over Gold more often than not.

Diadem has to cost at least $6. As a single card it's mediocre. On many boards it's mediocre. But then you realise with good draw and +actions, many Diadems can turn a village into a cantrip with +$5 or so, which is crazy. Too much for a $5, I think. It's probably okay at $6, it'll often be as good as a Gold but occasionally better, but sometimes games will just become Diadem engine rushes.

Bag of Gold is a strange one. First time through your deck with BoG it's roughly a dead card and a Gold. Second time, a dead card and two Golds (better than having 3 silvers generally, for $6). After that, it keeps increasing your Gold quantity. I think that makes it something of a 'slow' card - sure, Gold on deck is awesome, but it's at the cost of not having a Gold now, and you're losing a little tempo to set your deck up to be even stronger in the future. I think it might be okay at $6 - generally games are quick enough that even if an early BoG is much better than a Gold, I think it'll often be ignored due to being just a little too slow compared to flat Gold. If it wasn't, well, $7 would probably work.

Princess: Princess is too powerful in combination with itself. At $6 it's probably too easy to get two Princesses together (with the extra actions), and of course three or more gets crazy. I think it kinda has to be $7, although it doesn't seem very impressive at $7.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:41:31 pm »

Followers seems pretty on-par with Goons.

-One gives +$2 and the other +2cards, which seem to be valued at about the same.
-Both make a Militia style attack.
-Both dole out 2 net VP.

Differences are:
-Goons gives you +1buy (advantage Goons)
-Followers give everyone a dead card (wash)
-Half of Followers' +VP comes in the form of a trashable (or run-outable, or blockable) curse (advantage Goons)
-Goons require you to use both buys to get both VPs (advantage Followers)
-Goons has the potential for exponential VP gain when combined with more Goons and linear VP gain when combined with more +buys(advantage Goons)

Seems to be advantage Goons but Goons is very strong for a $6. I think Followers is fair at $6 too.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

I actually think Diadem might be more fun as a $6 Kingdom card, because it's just never your first choice as a Prize. Seems like kingdoms where Daidem would be strong, Diadem is available, gaining Prizes is viable, the top Prizes go but it isn't Duchy time yet... are few and far between.

The rest of them are probably more interesting as Prizes. Still, Followers and Steed are so much better than the rest. But that's what you get for coming in third in the Tournament...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.