Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Is resigning considered rude?  (Read 27142 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Is resigning considered rude?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 09:16:01 pm »
+4

There's a forum game you might enjoy.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 08:00:48 am »

The only times I resign IRL or online is when I ragequit (which is quite rare). I always get annoyed when people resign online right before my megaturn. I feel like the person is saying "I'm only here to win, If I'm loosing, this game is a waste of my time". They rob you of the enjoyment of winning. I remember one time I used Apprentice/Peddler/Pawn to draw an insane amount of cards, (I was very proud I came up with such a neat combo because I had never played with Alchemy cards and I don't own Pawn) and while I was buying out the Peddlers, I realized I could still afford 2 Colonies. My opponent resigned. I was ticked. Yes, we are both here to have fun, but if loosing a game means you wasted your time, I probably don't want to play with you.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  :)
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:15 am »
+1

It depends upon the board, surely. I wouldn't expect any reasonable player to get mad at an opponent for resigning after they've been Kingsgoonsqueraded, for example.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »
+3

I rarely play strangers but in 2017 I'm going to start - regardless, I think an opponent resigning in a 2p game is slightly rude when it's done on my turn.  When I resign I almost always wait for my turn in order to end it - it just feels crappy to be rolling on a turn and then have the game seize up and I wonder, 'did the server die, is my Internet connection out, etc.' only to find out my opponent resigned.   But yeah, in 2p games I can't see who has a problem with resigning except maybe players that haven't played many games and want to see how an X/Y/Z engine plays out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:18:02 pm by Triumph44 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 03:15:05 am »

I feel like the person is saying "I'm only here to win, If I'm loosing, this game is a waste of my time".

I feel like the person is probably saying something more like "I'm only here to play, if the game is already decided, it's a waste of my time".

I always resign as soon as I realize that I'm losing with pretty high certainty. For example when the opponent plays all of his Treasures and I see that he now has enough dollars to end the game on that turn. I also appreciate it when my opponents do the same.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 08:35:30 am »
+1

I'm generally a little annoyed when people resign at the end of my final turn. It feels really satisfying to actually pile out! I understand why people do it though.

I'm less annoyed when people resign in the middle or near the end of a game they can't win. They just save me time that way.

I'm most comfortable when people resign during their own turn.

Generally when I resign too early I ask, unless I'm really frustrated. No one's ever said no.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.