Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Is resigning considered rude?  (Read 27041 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Is resigning considered rude?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:06 am »

One guy just left and we played another game and I said "just my opinion, but I think winning and running is kind of rude".  His reply was "f*** your opinion, I f*** your opinions for a living and I make a lot of money".  Must have been in junior high or something?  Or was I being a bit annoying?

I don't think it's annoying; you expressed an opinion. He expressed his—in a manner of speaking.

That being said, some people just don't take kindly to being told that their method does not sit well with others. And those people probably would think that your comment was being intrusive or whiny or bossy. The thing is that you can't really tell how they'll react. That's why there are threads about whether or not it's a good idea to make gameplay suggestions to others.

If you'd have said it to me, I'd say, "Sorry," and move on. I might even give an explanation or change my ways. I know that several people wouldn't react the same way (and you presented us with an example).
A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
+1

In this situation, if you are on the losing end, just click the exit button to resign during your opponent's turn.

The only problem with this one is that by exiting, you forfiet your increased odds of seat 1 in the next game. If you're not competetive then it doesn't really matter, but let's be honest with ourselves; We're all here because we're competetive.

The only thing that really bothers me (besides people timing out instead of resigning) is people who win and then just leave without a word.  If the game was close then I think a "gg" is in order (I even usually say "gg, close one" to respect the fact that either of us could have won).  If they mutilated me then at least a "thanks for the game", or "tx", or even "sorry for the miserable triple-torturer chain!" would be nice.  Because it bothers me so much, my goal is to usually return to lobby before they can so I am not annoyed by what they do or don't say.

You don't like when people end the game and instantly return to the lobby without saying anything. Your solution is to instantly return to the lobby after games without saying anything. I guess that makes sense  :-\

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »

I once had a guy say "gg" to me when he was winning.

Man, this is the only thing that will trigger some degree of internet rage with me (to the extent of actually doing obnoxious things myself like not typing gg, etc... not saying it's right to do this, since the other player might not know how annoying it is, but I'm even tempted to tab-closing). Drives me nuts. It's some combination of:
  • I'm already losing so I'm perhaps not in a happy mood to begin with.
  • The implication that I'm being rude by not resigning (when actually I just think the game isn't decided yet, or it's close enough to the end that I don't think it matters).
  • The general smugness of doing it in the first place (by implying that the winner really knows better than me when the game is over).
Thankfully I don't see this on isotropic too much or I'd probably stop playing there altogether to avoid it.

The only problem with this one is that by exiting, you forfiet your increased odds of seat 1 in the next game. If you're not competetive then it doesn't really matter, but let's be honest with ourselves; We're all here because we're competetive.

Wow, I never realized this. Now I can blame my declining ranking on use of the exit button. =P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:51:23 pm by blueblimp »

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

So a lot of these problems can be eliminated through a combination of being a good sport and not taking the game too seriously. At the end of the day, it's a game we play for fun and very little is at stake. In fact, I would say the highest stake in a game of online Dominion is how much fun you're having.  If you allow other people's rudeness and actions to make you angry, then you're sacrificing the enjoyment that's the whole point of the game. If you let it roll off you, you're safeguarding that enjoyment.

I don't mean to be preachy, but that's my take.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »

I'm fairly neutral on the subject of conceding and I think that context plays a big part.  Personally I will never be offended if my opponent concedes.  For me that's him/her saying, "congratulations, you have an almost innevitable win, let's both move on".  If i am losing I usually let me opponent play out the win, but if you are either:

a)  Playing slowly,
b)  Playing a deck where each turn takes an age (especially combined with the above) or
c)  Delaying your win for the purpouse of pulling off an uber-turn or chasing Councilroom achievements

Then sorry, but I'm going to resign.  My time is valuable to me, my leisure time doubly so, and I'm not going to waste it in ten minute chunks watching you pull off a pretty combo with your screen pixels.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:51 pm »

Wait...what?!

Explain!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

Wait...what?!

Explain!

Well when you "exit" rather than resign you get taken back to the sign in screen and not the lobby, and you have to re-enter the lobby manually. You only get the increased odds of seat 1 in the next game if you return to the lobby from a game that you have just lost. Anyone who signs in gets put in the pool of people who have just won.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »

This would explain why I feel like I always come last when playing against friends, my ipad goes a bit quirky and likes to log me out after each game!

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 06:45:52 am »

Moral of this topic: Don't use an iPad for playing Dominion.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
+1

Moral of this topic: Don't use an iPad.
FTFY.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:51 pm »

The only thing that really bothers me (besides people timing out instead of resigning) is people who win and then just leave without a word.  If the game was close then I think a "gg" is in order (I even usually say "gg, close one" to respect the fact that either of us could have won).  If they mutilated me then at least a "thanks for the game", or "tx", or even "sorry for the miserable triple-torturer chain!" would be nice.  Because it bothers me so much, my goal is to usually return to lobby before they can so I am not annoyed by what they do or don't say.

You don't like when people end the game and instantly return to the lobby without saying anything. Your solution is to instantly return to the lobby after games without saying anything. I guess that makes sense  :-\

I should have been more clear: when I win, I say "gg" or something else pleasant.  When I lose I usually leave before the person who won can leave, because if I don't and they just run off it will irritate me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:50 pm by kirkbauer »

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »

Moral of this topic: Don't use an iPad for playing Dominion.

Its the ipad or I have to trudge all the way home.....

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »

I should have been more clear: when I win, I say "gg" or something else pleasant.  When I lose I usually leave before the person who won can leave, because if I don't and they just run off it will irritate me.

Your quote is misattributed.  That was Thisisnotasmile's post.

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
+1

Your quote is misattributed.  That was Thisisnotasmile's post.

Sorry, I messed up the original post and then messed up fixing it, corrected now, thanks.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:47 am »
+1

I'm starting to wish people would resign more often.  I've had a couple of games recently where I had won mathematically, but either I was too green or my opponent was too slow so I had to make both of us miserable by playing it out for another dozen turns.  I'd feel like a jerk asking someone to resign, but I wish it were possible to show that someone was not catchable on boards where this can be determined.

On the flip side, I will automatically resign if I notice that I'm in that position, unless I expect my opponent to win within about 30 more seconds of playing.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 07:26:42 am »

I just had a game where someone asked: Do you mind if I resign?

I told him: of course not.

To me resigning is as honorful as Seppuku. Just don't expect me to support your family.  :D

But seriously, sometimes you're so horrendously beat that there's no point in going on and waste both players' time.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:59 am »

I'm starting to wish people would resign more often.  I've had a couple of games recently where I had won mathematically, but either I was too green or my opponent was too slow so I had to make both of us miserable by playing it out for another dozen turns.  I'd feel like a jerk asking someone to resign, but I wish it were possible to show that someone was not catchable on boards where this can be determined.

On the flip side, I will automatically resign if I notice that I'm in that position, unless I expect my opponent to win within about 30 more seconds of playing.

I'm with you on this. The problem is that the only time I've ever been asked to resign, the guy was a jerk about it -- maybe if he had approached me with some more respect, I would have considered it. On the flipside, I guess, I don't think I'm in many games where it's a) really impossible for the other person to catch up and b) going to take a long time to make them realize it.

Really, it's much more often where I'm in a situation where one of us has 3 Provinces to the other person's 0 and we both know where this is going but we play it out anyway even though "mathematically" if the winner just stopped buying green the other could win. I often resign in these cases on the losing end of this so we're not wasting our time, but if I'm winning, it's harder to make the case to them that they ought to give up.

Anyway, if you have it locked, I think it's reasonable to point out that the person literally can't win ... although maybe sticking it out is just the price you pay for being better.  ;)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 11:09:45 am »

I ask my opponents to resign when I have 43 points as player 2 or 44 points as player one on a standard board.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 11:32:18 am »

"a standard board" = no colonies, no VP-chips, no Possession/Ambassador combo?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:06 am »

no saboteur, no swindler

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 11:41:03 am »

Nor other alt vp.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:48 am »

I'll offer to accept a resignation when I think it's clear I am going to win, regardless of the current score.  I could have fewer points than my opponent, but have some KC+Wharf+Ambassador craziness going that is bloating their deck at a rate of 6 coppers (or curses) a turn.

It's not really about mathematical impossibility, just a high likelihood of a long and drawn out loss ahead for my opponent.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:54 pm »

But some people like to fight to the bitter end is all I'm saying. So as long as you offer in a polite way and don't consider it petty when they refuse.

He/him

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 02:22:28 pm »

To me resigning is as honorful as Seppuku.

I have failed to claim the Provinces.  *takes out katana, shoves it in belly*  May my ancestors forgive me...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:09 pm »
+3

I tend to resign when the game is fairly hopeless both IRL and on Isotropic (I might even resign too early sometimes).  I have no problem with my opponent resigning if they are losing, but several people I have played recently seem upset when I do resign.  This is in spite of saying things like "Good game ... very nice deck" and so on.  My son when we play in real life also becomes annoyed when I resign.

I understand wanting to see your megaturn go off and so on, but why would you respond with scorn if your opponent concedes your deck's superiority?

I wonder what everyone else thinks: should you sit through a clearly lost game?  Is it rude to resign?  Or is it okay to resign so you don't have to sit through until the brutal end?

This is a valid question, and to me it's simple: In a two-player game, it's perfectly OK to resign when you're sure you're losing. This is a tried and true method of admitting defeat in most traditional two-player games like chess and go. It's considered rude, in fact, not to resign if you're sure you have no way of winning (or reach a draw), in these games. The reasoning is simple: No player can end the game by saying "I'm going to win, so let's just call it a win for me". That really would be rude! The losing player can, however, do that, by admitting that they're beaten. The winning player doesn't have that option, and no player should feel offended if the loser resigns. You still win. He or she can't steal that win from you, even if you don't get to play another megaturn or two.

But this changes dramatically in a multi-player game, IMHO, as it might ruin the balance of the game considerably. Someone may have built up an amazing engine, but might lose because they haven't been around long enough to reap the benefits of that engine yet, while some other player may have their opening three estates and win, despite a clearly inferior deck.

These are just my thoughts, though. I don't usually resign myself (so I would be considered rude in a typical chess community), but I never feel offended in any way, if someone concedes a two-player game with me. They acknowledge defeat and hand me my win. How is that bad?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:44:48 am by Oyvind »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.531 seconds with 20 queries.