Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Is resigning considered rude?  (Read 27125 times)

Catalytic

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Is resigning considered rude?
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

I tend to resign when the game is fairly hopeless both IRL and on Isotropic (I might even resign too early sometimes).  I have no problem with my opponent resigning if they are losing, but several people I have played recently seem upset when I do resign.  This is in spite of saying things like "Good game ... very nice deck" and so on.  My son when we play in real life also becomes annoyed when I resign.

I understand wanting to see your megaturn go off and so on, but why would you respond with scorn if your opponent concedes your deck's superiority?

I wonder what everyone else thinks: should you sit through a clearly lost game?  Is it rude to resign?  Or is it okay to resign so you don't have to sit through until the brutal end?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Is resigning considered rude?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »

There is a mess of a discussion on this in the "Decline of civility" thread.  You will find opinions on both sides.  For me, I don't consider it rude, and occasionally resign if I feel the game is a lost cause and am not enjoying it.  I never feel slighted if my opponent resigns.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:33 pm »

I never resign in real life games, mainly because I have gone to a lot more effort to put that deck together and want to see it played out. (Although I dont have KC at home)

I always tell the opponent im going to resign a turn before I do it on Iso, just in case they ask me to stay so they can pull off thier last megaturn (or they could be after an achievement)

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:27 pm »

I don't really care if it's rude; sometimes it's better to just not waste either player's time if you have no chance of coming back.  They may feel upset for a minute or two, but they can find another game and move on.  I personally don't mind if my opponent resigns, even if I was about to have a crazy turn.  Been in that position enough times to understand.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »

I'm fine with people resigning.  It's maybe a little annoying when it's a quick game, but whatever.

However, I think it's very rude when people resign in a way that forces me to wait around for 3 minutes to click the "make soandso resign" button.  Wait until your turn starts, click "end turn", click "resign", then click "resign" again.  People say just clicking "exit" works as well, though I've not tested it.  Definitely don't just close the tab.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »

I personally have no problem resigning/people resigning to me. If it's because I got outplayed, I make sure to go to the effort to type "well played" and mention how I didn't see ______ or whatever. If its because my opening mountebank got swindled into a duke early game, (though obviously I would still play through a bit farther) I try and restrict myself to a "gg".

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:01 pm »

As a sidenote: if you are going to resign, you better be absolutely certain that you're going to lose. Dominion is full of surprises; there have been several games where I've gone from "that's it, I'm dead meat, gg" to "how on earth did I win that?". Don't give up too quickly.

v3ck

• Swindler
  • A four for a Barn!
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »

Some people enjoy having their time wasted. Someone once announced in the lobby that I should be avoided after I politely spared him from the drudgery of finishing a lopsided game.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:22:45 am »
+2

Since this has been argued over and over before, I will make one comment and then never respond (I promise):

I played a series of games earlier where I lost two or three in a row due (I believe) to really unlucky shuffles toward the end. They were all very close games, so they weren't boring, but they were frustrating losses. Then I started a new game (I believe it was a rematch with the player who had just beat me), and my first few turns went very well, so I got out to a bit of a lead. I was just starting to feel better about my luck when BAM! -- the game's over. The other player apparently decided his cause was hopeless (in my opinion the game was far from over), and resigned without a word.

Now I got the win, so ... hurray. But it felt a bit like, "I just struggled through three difficult losses, and I finally get a game that's looking enjoyable, and it's over before we've even played it!" I like to win, and I always feel better when my rank rises rather than falls, but I would just not enjoy Dominion if every game was like that.

Of course I recognize that the opposite scenario is also possible: where you (to take the most extreme example) have been locked down by the KC/Masq pin and the outcome is certain but the game is (1) unenjoyable and (2) far from over. And since there are no objective ways to judge this, I pretty much accept the fact that people can resign whenever they please.

As for me, I would only consider resigning in extreme cases, and I would never resign without first asking my opponent if that's okay. As for my expectations of other people, I think a "gg" is a barely-adequate, minimum level of courtesy.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:38:58 am »

I can agree that it is rude to resign a game that you can win.  If you do that, you're not really competing, you're just reshuffling over and over again until you get a fun engine that builds itself or something.  Come from behind play can be very interesting too.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:16 am »

I personally have no problem resigning/people resigning to me. If it's because I got outplayed, I make sure to go to the effort to type "well played" and mention how I didn't see ______ or whatever. If its because my opening mountebank got swindled into a duke early game, (though obviously I would still play through a bit farther) I try and restrict myself to a "gg".

I think I've won at least two games by an opponent who didn't know when to stop swindling me Duchies (and wasn't watching the piles). Once I just transitioned into Duke/Duchy because I realized my oponent had done half the work for me...
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:10:21 am »
+1

I had an opponent resign once, because he had to feed his baby, I didn't consider it rude.  :D
Especially since our own little Jester is due September 8th.  ;D ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:03 am »
+4

I think one of the best comments in that thread, forgot who said it, said the difference of opinion could be divided into chess players vs. non chess players. In chess, when you recognize that the game is over, conceding is better etiquette than wasting both players time and dragging it out.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:15:40 am »

I think one of the best comments in that thread, forgot who said it, said the difference of opinion could be divided into chess players vs. non chess players. In chess, when you recognize that the game is over, conceding is better etiquette than wasting both players time and dragging it out.
same goes for serious Mtg-players. Although there are sometimes going to be reasons NOT to concede: if the other guy is playing a combo deck that is unstoppable, but takes a few minutes to play out it might be better to let him continue playing and hope he messes up somewhere. And I remember playing a combo deck where I took out the win condition in the second game because I won the first game and know my opponent is going to concede once I'm going off (very risky if there's a chance my opponent decides to let me play on).

elephantdog

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:54:59 am »

In general, I agree with tlloyd on this. In a number of games I have felt like I am losing by many points, only to pull out a surprise win at the end through some fluke or other. But I don't resign games unless I have to leave my computer and go do something else. As someone who's been on the receiving end of some brutal action chains, sometimes I feel a little bit cheated if I don't get to run my own action chains all the way through and see what happens.

Dominion really is a game where you have to change strategies all the time, so when a player resigns from a game I can't see how my strategy should adjust to the end game victory point rush, or which cards I'll regret having bought/skipped over in the beginning. I feel like it's one thing to resign on isotropic because real life is calling, and another to resign because you have bad shuffle luck. And I definitely think that it's discourteous to resign without saying anything.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:30:09 am »

I usually don't resign, only in extreme cases. If I'm down 3 Provinces with 2 Provinces left and a 8-2 curse-split or an otherwise extremely worse deck, and it's not looking like the game can end soon, I gg and resign. Also without asking. Doesn't look like a fun ending for both of us, isn't much chance left (yeah we can now Duchydance us down, maybe I get a 5/3 there with much luck, then I still need both Provinces, but now my deck is even more than extremly worse)

Otherwise (expcept I have to leave) I don't resign, if it's two fast turns for your opponent, just sit through them, if my deck has some potential, there might be that 5%-chance of winning nevertheless, and to be honest, those wins are the ones that are most fun...

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 08:11:11 am »

I generally ask before I resign, if the opponent has an engine that's rolling and takes (what seems like) a couple of minutes per turn, and my turns take 2-5 clicks and I think it will take another 3-4 turns for my opponent to win, I'll ask and usually the opponent will say fine.  In fact, when I've asked, "can I resign," nobody has ever said they'd prefer I didn't.

What's worse, in my opinion is slow-rolling.  When you can buy the last province with what's in hand, are way ahead anyway or only have means to gain 1 province in your deck, and play out your whole engine before buying the province.  That's not fun for the person sitting on the receiving end.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 08:59:26 am »
+2

If the game is hopeless, hell yes I am going to gg and resign. I'm not here to struggle like a hooked fish for anyone's gratification.

(And yes, I am a former chess player. Although in Dominion, unlike chess, I don't take a refusal to resign as an insult.)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:26:23 am »
+1

As far as 2-player competitive play goes (3/4-player and casual play are different), I disagree in the strongest way that resigning under any circumstance is rude, assuming that the game was played honestly up to that point (e.g. resigning on turn 1 would be obnoxious).

When two players are playing a game, they are playing it for mutual enjoyment. If either player decides they wouldn't enjoy playing out the rest of the game, then that player is welcome to stop playing (as long as they actually exit and don't just close the tab). For the winning player to claim it is wrong for the losing player to do this is, in my opinion, rude itself.

It's not just chess that's like this... this is the standard for any 2-player competitive game!

I also agree with sitnaltax that, in Dominion, the losing player is welcome to play out the entire game even if far behind. There's almost always the possibility of crazy shuffle luck turning the game around, so if the loser wants to try for that, that's fine with me. It can also be a good learning experience to see how the endgame plays out on a particular board, even if the score isn't close.

What really bugs me is players who say "gg" and then keep playing. I never know quite how to respond to this, especially if (in my judgment) they aren't very far behind. To me, saying "gg" as the loser is synonymous with resigning, so I don't know what's going on here.

What's worse, in my opinion is slow-rolling.  When you can buy the last province with what's in hand, are way ahead anyway or only have means to gain 1 province in your deck, and play out your whole engine before buying the province.  That's not fun for the person sitting on the receiving end.

In this situation, if you are on the losing end, just click the exit button to resign during your opponent's turn. This is generally what I do if my opponent seems interested in drawing their entire deck even if they already have the ability to win the game. Since the loser has this option, I don't feel obligated as the winner to end the game quickly on my turn (instead I usually aim to maximize points), although sometimes I'll end it fast anyway.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:32:51 am by blueblimp »

billdacat

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »
+1

Yeah, I resign a lot.  Sorry.  I have a kid and another on the way, so my play time is limited.  If the game is clearly decided, I'd rather get right to the next one.  Don't have time to kill.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

What really bugs me is players who say "gg" and then keep playing. I never know quite how to respond to this, especially if (in my judgment) they aren't very far behind. To me, saying "gg" as the loser is synonymous with resigning, so I don't know what's going on here.

I have made this mistake sometimes. Because a lot of players leave so fast after the game ends, if my opponent is going to win during the current turn, I often try to say gg during that turn. It's not a resignation, it's a congratulations well played. However, occasionally I'm wrong--either the deck stalls out (huge action chain that leaves opponent with $7 or whatever) or the opponent doesn't notice the 3-pile that I thought would end it. Small awkward moment.

In this situation, if you are on the losing end, just click the exit button to resign during your opponent's turn.

I learned that this is the preferred resignation technique relatively recently, so if I've ever rageclosedthetab on anyone reading this, I'm sorry.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »
+1

I am now resigning from this thread.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:31 pm »

I am now resigning from this thread.

You could at least take the time to say a little "good game". Sheesh... so rude...
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 10:38:58 am »

I will generally resign once there is no possible way for me to win (for example, I am behind 20 points, cursing is not a factor, and there is only one Province and one Duchy left).  The exception is if the game is almost over anyways and then I'll just let it finish its natural course.  I will give a "gg" if I think they played well, or say nothing if I think luck was the major factor.

I once had a guy say "gg" to me when he was winning.  He had 3 provinces, I had 1.  He was clearly doing better, but as we all know things can turn around.  I said "gg?".  He said, "I don't see any way you can win, so gg".  I said "So do you expect me to resign or something?".  He said "I would resign if I were you, but you can do whatever you want".  I think it came across as fairly un-sportsmanlike.  I told him as much, he said something about it being the way it is done in chess.  Of course in chess there is no chance that luck will turn the game in your favor. 

The only thing that really bothers me (besides people timing out instead of resigning) is people who win and then just leave without a word.  If the game was close then I think a "gg" is in order (I even usually say "gg, close one" to respect the fact that either of us could have won).  If they mutilated me then at least a "thanks for the game", or "tx", or even "sorry for the miserable triple-torturer chain!" would be nice.  Because it bothers me so much, my goal is to usually return to lobby before they can so I am not annoyed by what they do or don't say.

One guy just left and we played another game and I said "just my opinion, but I think winning and running is kind of rude".  His reply was "f*** your opinion, I f*** your opinions for a living and I make a lot of money".  Must have been in junior high or something?  Or was I being a bit annoying?

barsooma

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:34 am »
+2

I will generally resign once there is no possible way for me to win (for example, I am behind 20 points, cursing is not a factor, and there is only one Province and one Duchy left).  The exception is if the game is almost over anyways and then I'll just let it finish its natural course.  I will give a "gg" if I think they played well, or say nothing if I think luck was the major factor.

I once had a guy say "gg" to me when he was winning.  He had 3 provinces, I had 1.  He was clearly doing better, but as we all know things can turn around.  I said "gg?".  He said, "I don't see any way you can win, so gg".  I said "So do you expect me to resign or something?".  He said "I would resign if I were you, but you can do whatever you want".  I think it came across as fairly un-sportsmanlike.  I told him as much, he said something about it being the way it is done in chess.  Of course in chess there is no chance that luck will turn the game in your favor. 

The only thing that really bothers me (besides people timing out instead of resigning) is people who win and then just leave without a word.  If the game was close then I think a "gg" is in order (I even usually say "gg, close one" to respect the fact that either of us could have won).  If they mutilated me then at least a "thanks for the game", or "tx", or even "sorry for the miserable triple-torturer chain!" would be nice.  Because it bothers me so much, my goal is to usually return to lobby before they can so I am not annoyed by what they do or don't say.

One guy just left and we played another game and I said "just my opinion, but I think winning and running is kind of rude".  His reply was "f*** your opinion, I f*** your opinions for a living and I make a lot of money".  Must have been in junior high or something?  Or was I being a bit annoying?

I'd say you were being a bit annoying.
If it's really just your opinion, why say it at all? Obviously you're trying to change his behaviour, but you're being backhanded and passive-aggressive about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.