Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TR + Church - is the Wiki wrong  (Read 2295 times)

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
TR + Church - is the Wiki wrong
« on: August 06, 2019, 12:12:13 pm »
+1

The text of Church says "Set aside up to 3 cards from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand, then you may trash a card from your hand."

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Church says "If you play Church multiple times such as via Throne Room, keep the set aside cards separate; you may not trash multiple cards from one set of cards."

OK, so "keep the set aside cards separate" makes sense, but I fail to see how "you may not trash multiple cards from one set of cards" can be correct.

At the start of your next turn you first pick up one of the sets of set-aside cards and trash any card that is now in your hand.  Obviously that includes the cards that you have just picked up.  Then you pick up the second set of set-aside cards and trash any card that is now in your hand.  That includes not only the cards that you have just picked up, but also the cards you previously picked up, so demonstrably it is possible to trash multiple cards from one set of cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: TR + Church - is the Wiki wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:19:59 pm »
+1

Sounds like you have it correct and the Wiki is wrong... it sounds like it was thinking that Church has you trash one of the three set-aside cards, rather than any card in your hand. Because trashing a card "from a set" doesn't even make sense here.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:21:12 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »

Could it be the wiki has it right, but did not say it proper? Should it be more along the line of "you have to do the pick up and trash consecutive for each set"?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 01:30:23 pm »

Could it be the wiki has it right, but did not say it proper? Should it be more along the line of "you have to do the pick up and trash consecutive for each set"?

While it's true that you aren't allowed to pick up all 6 cards and then trash 2 from your hand, you would need some other weird start-of-turn effects for that sort of thing to matter at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

dane-m

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »

While it's true that you aren't allowed to pick up all 6 cards and then trash 2 from your hand, you would need some other weird start-of-turn effects for that sort of thing to matter at all.
I couldn't think of any current situation where it would matter, but I might have overlooked something.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 03:39:34 pm »

I've corrected the wiki to say the following:

keep the set-aside cards separate and carry out the operations in order: put the first set-aside cards in hand, then trash, then put the second set-aside cards in hand, then trash. You can't trash two of the second set-aside cards, since they won't be back in your hand yet by first time you trash something

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 03:50:32 pm »
+1

I've corrected the wiki to say the following:

keep the set-aside cards separate and carry out the operations in order: put the first set-aside cards in hand, then trash, then put the second set-aside cards in hand, then trash. You can't trash two of the second set-aside cards, since they won't be back in your hand yet by first time you trash something

The second sentence still seems confusing or misleading to me. Not sure what the "second set-aside cards" actually means; but it could be read to imply that it's the set of cards you set-aside second, in which case the sentence is wrong. It doesn't matter what order you set them aside in; they return to your hand in either order you want. And while it's true that you can't trash 2 cards from the set of cards that you return to your hand second; that's completely irrelevant, because if you wanted to trash 2 cards from that set; you would just return that set to your hand first.

*Edit* Actually the same issue applies to the first sentence. It implies that whichever set of cards you set-aside first has to be returned to your hand first, and that's not correct. You can resolve either duration effect first; so you can put either of the 2 sets into your hand first; it doesn't matter which one is the "first set-aside".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:51:57 pm by GendoIkari »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »

Oh, of course, silly me.

dane-m

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »

Oh, of course, silly me.
Your latest version of the wiki looks good to me.  Thanks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »

I couldn't think of any current situation where it would matter, but I might have overlooked something.
This is an easy puzzle. 
One group of cards is Market Square, Haunted Mirror, Market Square, the other group of cards is Curse, Curse, Overgrown Estate, and the draw pile is empty.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.