Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Design Challenge: Synergies with Captain!  (Read 5911 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Design Challenge: Synergies with Captain!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 02:17:35 pm »
+1

yeah sure i'll bite. Here's one that works with captain, workshop, etc as kind of an inverse cost reducer. It's not always gonna be worthwhile (when there's no cards that select by price on the board) but workshopping grand markets sounds pretty chill.

edit: fixed to remove some ambiguity

What exactly does "select" mean here? What does "selecting" a card costing $2 more actually do?

so take a peek at Workshop - "Gain a card costing up to $4" - this is selecting a card from the supply that costs up to $4, then gaining it. This lets you select a card costing up to $6 with it.

Or consider Smugglers. If you have this project, your opponent bought a province last turn, you can smuggle a province.

figured out a cleaner way to phrase the card (i'll change the actual image on monday when im not working off a phone):

During your Action phase, cards everywhere cost $2 less (to a minimum of $0).

Note that this way (unlike the action phase phrasing* I suggested above / earlier), would no longer work with your example of Smugglers.

How would this not work with Smugglers? Provinces cost during your Action phase, when you play Smugglers, so Smugglers can gain Provinces.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking about the TfB and how spineflu's wording would work differently for that than either his original or my wording, and then somehow conflated that with Smugglers.

I realized my error, but was on a plane and wasn't able to connect to erase my shame!  I've gone ahead and made an edit now, but left the mistake for all to see :))
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 02:22:29 pm »
+1

yeah sure i'll bite. Here's one that works with captain, workshop, etc as kind of an inverse cost reducer. It's not always gonna be worthwhile (when there's no cards that select by price on the board) but workshopping grand markets sounds pretty chill.

edit: fixed to remove some ambiguity

What exactly does "select" mean here? What does "selecting" a card costing $2 more actually do?

so take a peek at Workshop - "Gain a card costing up to $4" - this is selecting a card from the supply that costs up to $4, then gaining it. This lets you select a card costing up to $6 with it.

Or consider Smugglers. If you have this project, your opponent bought a province last turn, you can smuggle a province.

figured out a cleaner way to phrase the card (i'll change the actual image on monday when im not working off a phone):

During your Action phase, cards everywhere cost $2 less (to a minimum of $0).

Note that this way (unlike the action phase phrasing* I suggested above / earlier), would no longer work with your example of Smugglers.

How would this not work with Smugglers? Provinces cost during your Action phase, when you play Smugglers, so Smugglers can gain Provinces.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking about the TfB and how spineflu's wording would work differently for that than either his original or my wording, and then somehow conflated that with Smugglers.

I realized my error, but was on a plane and wasn't able to connect to erase my shame!  I've gone ahead and made an edit now, but left the mistake for all to see :))

So your pride isn't worth the $30USD, in-flight Wi-fi?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »
+2

The only two, official cards with this are Margrave and Tragic hero, both costing $5 and both having some hidden nerfs built it. Margrave helps your opponents cycle after the first play and the Attack usually means you'll be starting your hand with 3 cards. Tragic Hero can only be used as reliable draw if you can keep your hand sizes below 8 cards.

It doesn't make much sense to me to say that adding an attack to a card counts as a "nerf" because that attack can be used against you. By that logic Witch is a nerfed Moat. Margrave is $5 because of the attack, not because of the +Buy. As for Tragic Hero, there's been a lot of argument over whether replacing itself with a Gold is a nerf or a buff. In my opinion, Tragic Hero is one of the weakest $5 cards in the game, though probably couldn't be $4.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 05:04:47 pm »
+1

Charter ship is a really cool idea but I wonder if it's not good enough in non-Captain games. If you build an engine with it as your only draw, you'll have to buy coppers every turn to keep your ships around. Not many engines can tolerate gaining 3+ coppers a turn - you'd need chapel or watchtower or monastery. On the other hand, if there's other draw in the kingdom then you're mostly buying the ship for a +Buy that disappears if you don't use it. I think I'd rather have woodcutter, honestly.

You could change its condition to "If you have not gained 2 or more cards this turn..." to make it playable in more kingdoms. Neat card idea though.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 09:29:42 am »

But if you prefer this way, you can also drop the "everywhere", it's clearly implied and none of the official cards use it.

Bridge does.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:52:37 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:30 am »
+1

But if you prefer this way, you can also drop the "everywhere", it's clearly implied and none of the official cards use it.

Bridge does.

Yeah, Bridge has a similar "issue" to first edition Island and Native Village; where they spelled out something that was already part of the regular rules; which caused a lot of confusion for all the later cards which used the same mechanic but didn't spell the rule out on the card. Not sure why Donald "fixed" Island and Native village in second edition wording, but didn't fix Bridge.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
+2

Most of the ideas posted here have names that fit thematically with Captain, and that's made me realize something ironic. Captain can't be used with the cards it fits most with thematically, precisely because those cards are also Durations. Cargo Ship, for instance, and a lot of the Seaside cards. At least he can be a Pirate Ship Captain.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »
+1

So can the winner of this thing refer to themselves as the First-mate?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.314 seconds with 20 queries.