Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: spineflu, an idiot, designs fanspansions  (Read 9894 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: spineflu, an idiot, designs fanspansions
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 03:04:12 pm »

Last wave of cards for Heresy: aka variants on other peoples cards & why it's a dark ages sequel

First up:
Clergy. All trashers of various flavors.

this is the only double potion cost card in this set. Can probably run the Ruins pile very quickly in a deck with +Buys.
edit: realized I had a ping-pong problem where if two players had a Ward, it'd keep going forever. Added a two use max per Ward.

Made this a bit stronger since the weekly design contest. It also makes sense as a potion-remodel in this set.

There's five of each type of Ruins; If you've got Dark Ages, mix 'em on in. They're all at best situationally useful; tried to make a ruin for most other card archetypes, including treasure ruins, duration ruins, and reaction ruins.

And cards where I riffed on someone else's idea:

From Gubump's "Planetarium" thread.

don't remember who made this originally. I changed the first non-vanilla line to be specific (which helps with census treasures like philosopher's stone).

variant on kru5h's card "Ivory Tower"

variant on scolapasta's Archbishop that brings it a little closer to the original Bishop from prosperity and makes you play a minigame to get him back into your deck.

Based on kru5h's "Cell". pricing it with a potion, and making it only able to bury a Victory/Curse when initially playing it seems to even it out a bit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:30:19 am by spineflu »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 03:35:54 pm »
+1

These look cool, I'll take a look at the other cards too, I'm just rejoining the forum after a few month's break.
I really like the Clergy, I'll maybe take a closer look at each specifically later. Two of the sisters have the colors switched.
Because of the way treasures are played, I think you can pretty much always play Cursed Coin, I think that might break it.
Crumbling Bridge looks much too strong.
Not sure why Review is worded like that, I think the original wording was better if I'm remembering it correctly.
Archbishop looks incorrectly worded, I'm not quite sure how to fix it.

Everything else is pretty cool.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 03:46:47 pm »

These look cool, I'll take a look at the other cards too, I'm just rejoining the forum after a few month's break.

I really like the Clergy, I'll maybe take a closer look at each specifically later. Two of the sisters have the colors switched.
Did the reversed colors with the Looter-Nuns, to make the most important types (Action, Attack, Victory) show up better.

Because of the way treasures are played, I think you can pretty much always play Cursed Coin, I think that might break it.
yeah but you still gotta deal with the curse from it. Also you can only play one per turn, you're SOL if you get ruined with several of them.
Crumbling Bridge looks much too strong.
?

Not sure why Review is worded like that, I think the original wording was better if I'm remembering it correctly.
this puts it more in line with how other intrigue-y choice cards are worded; I probably wouldn't have done it this way if I'd had more than two options, but here we are.

Archbishop looks incorrectly worded, I'm not quite sure how to fix it.
You think so too, huh? I had a couple more clumsy options ("total up the cost of all cards trashed this and gain 1% per $2 of the sum of cards trashed's cost"?) and am open to suggestions on how to fix that.

Thanks for checking these out!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:48:25 pm by spineflu »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 03:52:22 pm »

My wording on Crumbling Bridge was much too strong, but I do think it's too strong for a Ruin.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »

My wording on Crumbling Bridge was much too strong, but I do think it's too strong for a Ruin.

Maybe change it to be a silvers-only Bridge?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 04:20:21 pm »

That should work.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 04:40:13 pm »

done, and also i changed the name because i didn't realize I'd used "Crumbling" twice.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 05:45:45 pm »

Another card I couldn't remember/find the OP on, this card died forum-wise among a pricing dispute (was priced at $6, that was too little; priced at $9 was too high; etc) - pricing it with a potion, and making it only able to bury a Victory/Curse when initially playing it seems to even it out a bit.

I think it's based on Kru5h's Cell:

Cell

This card is probably way too powerful. Comparable to Hireling I think, but cheaper.

You mention "making it only able to bury a Victory/Curse when initially playing it" as if you've done that, but your card only says "set aside a card." Assistant can bury any kind of card.

Also, you might want to word Assistant like Scheme: "At the start of each of your Clean-up phases, you may exchange a card you would discard from play with the set aside card," because as it's worded currently, it can allow you to get an indefinite amount of effective Hirelings.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:50:45 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 06:10:59 pm »

Another card I couldn't remember/find the OP on, this card died forum-wise among a pricing dispute (was priced at $6, that was too little; priced at $9 was too high; etc) - pricing it with a potion, and making it only able to bury a Victory/Curse when initially playing it seems to even it out a bit.

I think it's based on Kru5h's Cell:

Cell

This card is probably way too powerful. Comparable to Hireling I think, but cheaper.

You mention "making it only able to bury a Victory/Curse when initially playing it" as if you've done that, but your card only says "set aside a card." Assistant can bury any kind of card.

Also, you might want to word Assistant like Scheme: "At the start of each of your Clean-up phases, you may exchange a card you would discard from play with the set aside card," because as it's worded currently, it can allow you to get an indefinite amount of effective Hirelings.

Good call on the wording.
The only able to bury a Victory/Curse part - how do you get a Victory or Curse into play to swap in? (aside from Heretic or Inheritance, I guess?)

edit: realized what happened - we meant different things - I meant the only opportunity to bury vanilla green/purple was during the initial play; you thought i meant you could only bury green/purple during the initial play.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:23:12 pm by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:49 am »

I also took out a couple cards (well, one pile, and then a contingent pile) that people might find interesting.

Here's the pile:

aaaaand here's the contingent pile (it's a unique one):

Rules for Gods cards - at the end of the game, each one in your deck is worth -2VP; Any time they would be trashed or lost track of, they're returned to the Gods pile.

My rationale for removing them was 1) way too swingy/hard to balance 2) Ruins are funnier 3) the weird rules around KC/Throne Room-ing them 4) Would need to include Night card rules in a set that otherwise does not have Night Cards 5) weird rules unique to that pile.

Again, not part of Heresy, just a fun outtake while I prep for next weeks set, Syndicate

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 10:53:53 am »

Not showing up for me...
Never mind, forgot how long these can take sometimes.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »

Syndicate
My last set, Syndicate, is a sequel to both Heresy + Backcountry, as well as Renaissance.
It cares about tokens (Coffers, Villagers, + Elixirs), and focuses on non-attack player interaction. It has mechanical subthemes of Potion-cost cards + Elixirs (introduced in Heresy), Durations, and Causes (introduced in Backcountry).

Here's part 1 of 4:

Mason's Lodge • $5 • Action - Duration
+1 Buy
Until the end of your next turn, cards cost $1 less (to a minimum of $0) for all players, and all players get +1 Buy at the start of their turn.
Whenever a player gains a card after their first, you get +1 Coffers.

Town Co-operative • $4 • Action - Duration
+1 Action
Until the end of your next turn, all players get +1 Action at the start of their turn. Whenever a player plays an Action after their first, you get +1 Villagers.

Borough • $4 • Action
+2 Coffers
+2 Villagers
+1 Elixir

Burglar • $4 • Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
Each opponent gets -1 Coffers. For each opponent who loses a Coffer this way, you get +1 Coffers.

Teller • $2 • Action
+2 Coffers
+1 Elixir
Trash this.

Dowager • $4 • Action
+2 Villagers
+1 Buy
+1 Elixir

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 01:06:30 pm »

Isn't Burglar just a strictly better version of Baker that costs less?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 01:11:07 pm »

And I'm not sure what Elixir does, but Borough looks like a stronger version of Festival that costs less. Not strictly stronger because of the lack of +buy, but I'm pretty sure replacing +Action with +Villagers, and + with +Coffers more than makes up for that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 01:17:44 pm »

Coffers but with potions.

I agree with GendoIkari, Borough and Burglar are strictly better (or close) than Festival and Baker respectively. I think they might be fine if they cost $6, but that might not be enough.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 01:21:02 pm »

Finally, Dowager (and Borough actually) looks very close to strictly better to plain old Potion. I know it's an action instead of a treasure, but that has both upsides and downsides. Other than the action vs treasure part, it's just way better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:24:28 pm by GendoIkari »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »

I mean, the dilemma with Potion has always been the opportunity cost - after you buy your potion-cost cards, it's dead weight (or tfb fodder); I want to make that less of a thing while still forcing players to figure out their way around dual currencies.
These won't be in every game, similar to how Delve isn't in every game.

That said, bumping Borough + Burglar up to $6 and Dowager down to +1 Villager seems prudent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 01:40:01 pm »

I mean, the dilemma with Potion has always been the opportunity cost - after you buy your potion-cost cards, it's dead weight (or tfb fodder); I want to make that less of a thing while still forcing players to figure out their way around dual currencies.

That said, bumping Borough + Burglar up to $6 and Dowager down to +1 Villager seems prudent.

With Dowager at for +1 Elixer, +1 Villager, +1 Buy, I still don't see why anyone would ever buy a Potion while Dowager is in the Kingdom.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 01:42:51 pm »

With Dowager at for +1 Elixer, +1 Villager, +1 Buy, I still don't see why anyone would ever buy a Potion while Dowager is in the Kingdom.
alt vp for potion cards specifically? (that's on wave #3)

But also, as I said, consider them like Delve. You don't pay full price for Silver in Delve games. Or it's at least super rare to (Goons, maybe?)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:52:43 pm by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 06:58:33 pm »

Without wanting to argue that Dowager or Elixier are good designs, Apothecary does not mind and Alchemist actually wants a Potion in play (instead of a "virtual Potion").
So yeah, it is not like DXV did not adress the issue of Potion having a high opportunity cost and being a stop card in your deck. Virtual Potions are a fix to a non-existing problem. The way to do it properly is to make a card with Potion cost either optionally work with Potions like Apothecary and Alchemist but mainly make it very strong in multiples.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2019, 09:31:19 am »

k. make your own. it costs $0 to not be like that.  I have 18 more cards/CLTs in this set to show. you don't know where I'm going with this unless you somehow have access to my dominion spreadsheet.

I didn't like how Potion worked - to me, it was a problem; I changed it; my fan-cards are not canon, and there is no need for them to be canon.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:53:50 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2019, 12:35:57 pm »

ErrinF?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »

ErrinF?
i don't know what this means
edit: uh no
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:13:13 pm by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:36 pm »

ErrinF?
i don't know what this means
edit: uh no

I just felt like your most recent post reminded me of another poster who once showed off his fan expansion. segura (and I) were just trying to be helpful; your post came across as though you read our posts as insulting criticism rather than helpful suggestions.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »

I get that yours was trying to be helpful. Segura's shown his ass a couple times now, being critical without any attempt at "helpful" suggestions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.