Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Throne Room playing Band of Misfits becoming Amulet  (Read 7243 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
Re: Throne Room playing Band of Misfits becoming Amulet
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 12:11:52 pm »
+1

I like Band of Misfits literally turning into the card, rules weirdness be damned.

(I also don't really want to buy Dark Ages 3rd Edition for one changed card)
You mean to scan it? I can try to scan it for you.

The rules problems are just too bad. Again there is a situation in which you can play a card and not know what it does. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18598.0

It's less for the wiki and more for when I play with them.  It'd be one thing to still have 1e Moneylender and tell other players "oh this should say 'you may'", whereas with BoM it'd be "actually this card works a lot differently than what it actually says".  Isn't that sort of thing why you were reluctant to do card changes in the first place?
My hope is that there won't be too many people like you who want to be the reason we can't have nice things. No-one needs the new Band of Misfits.

It's fixing a real problem that endlessly comes up - not the "what does this Estate do" problem, which is of course exotic, but the real problem of people endlessly being confused by this card (and the other two), as evidenced by this new thread. They do not work, they need to be fixed. It's not like e.g. Mining Village, where I'd like to change it but didn't get to. I could improve Mining Village, if only; I can fix Band of Misfits. "But my Band of Misfitses won't match the new published version" is not a compelling argument to me when the problem is that the card is so fucked up.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 12:12:55 pm »
+2

The rules problems are just too bad. Again there is a situation in which you can play a card and not know what it does. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18598.0

Also that particular rules problem is 1) intensely rare, requiring Inheritance, Mandarin, Crown (or Capitalism), Herald, a gainer, and either Masquerade or Ambassador and 2) while yes, very complicated, it still seems pretty clear what should happen.  You can look over at your opponent's Estate token and go "oh okay I'll do that".  You Throne your Estate, play it as you Inherited, wacky shenanigans and give it to your opponent, it now belongs to them, so when you replay the card, you play it as their card.
Feel free to re-read that thread; you can actually have a card where you don't know what it should do when played, where there's no way to find out.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »

Did I miss something; is there an announced planned third edition? Or is this just hypothetical talk?
There isn't even a "2nd edition" except for Dominion and Intrigue; in places like these forums we have been calling the new-layout versions 2nd editions to distinguish them.

Jay decided to fix the layout of all expansions personally, due to subtle things and sometimes invisible things. It all started with the $3 on Courtier being wrong as reported by Ben King. Things will be more consistent now, and there will still lots of tiny things to fix; a go-to example, the black line below the banner of some Seaside cards e.g. Pearl Diver. He has already done Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity; I don't have a date for Intrigue or Seaside (since Prosperity is what people have asked about) but would guess it's mid-July, same as for Prosperity (and of course Intrigue will have a new cover).

So, when he's doing Dark Ages, well, it's an opportunity to fix Band of Misfits.

"Printing" could be a better term than "edition" for after-Intrigue sets, but all sets between Seaside and Guilds already received a second printing that fixed layouts, fonts, wordings, etc, didn't they? So this is another separate set of making-things-look-better that is now happening after the last one?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 11:51:31 pm »
+1

Did I miss something; is there an announced planned third edition? Or is this just hypothetical talk?
There isn't even a "2nd edition" except for Dominion and Intrigue; in places like these forums we have been calling the new-layout versions 2nd editions to distinguish them.

Jay decided to fix the layout of all expansions personally, due to subtle things and sometimes invisible things. It all started with the $3 on Courtier being wrong as reported by Ben King. Things will be more consistent now, and there will still lots of tiny things to fix; a go-to example, the black line below the banner of some Seaside cards e.g. Pearl Diver. He has already done Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity; I don't have a date for Intrigue or Seaside (since Prosperity is what people have asked about) but would guess it's mid-July, same as for Prosperity (and of course Intrigue will have a new cover).

So, when he's doing Dark Ages, well, it's an opportunity to fix Band of Misfits.

"Printing" could be a better term than "edition" for after-Intrigue sets, but all sets between Seaside and Guilds already received a second printing that fixed layouts, fonts, wordings, etc, didn't they? So this is another separate set of making-things-look-better that is now happening after the last one?
"Printing" would include printings with no changes, of which there have been many.

Yes, there were the original cards, then a version with improved layout, and now another version with more improved layout. The difference won't be as visible as last time; mostly it's fixing little inconsistencies, e.g. with the numbers on coins.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.