Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Herald Overpay while Haggler in play. (possible dominion online bug)  (Read 2377 times)

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile

I had 5 money, and a haggler in player, while herald was on the board.  (changeling was around ... in case that's relevent for a bug report)

Haggler - While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a cheaper non-Victory card.
Herald - When you buy this, you may overpay for it.   For each 1 you overpaid, look through your discard pile and put a card from it onto your deck.

My plan was to buy a Herald for 5(overpay by 1) .  Since there were 2 on buy abilities - one from herald and one from haggler, i should get to choose the order.

I wanted to do the overpay first, topdecking my herald i just bought . and then gain the cheaper card.  (Changeling in this case).

What actually happened - was when I bought the herald for 5 - the UI showed up allowing me to overpay for it.  I couldn't move the slide from 0-1 - and I could hit the "overpay" button.   But then
i was never given an opportunity to look through my discard.

I feel like this was a bug .... (unless i'm interpretting the rules wrong and somehow the lose-track rule applies ... which I could see happening if I gained the haggler card first and then tried the overpay mechanic.

Thoughts? 

Sparafucile

• Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Herald Overpay while Haggler in play. (possible dominion online bug)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:24:09 am »

to make matter worse for me - the bug almost cost me the game ... because i was strategically top decking the herald to align it with a changeling that i knew was coming up on the next set of 5 cards ....   This bug made that changeling go around 2 more times before finally getting converted - slowing me down significantly :(

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:03 am »
+2

Herald’s overpay ability cannot top-deck itself.

On-buy things happen before you gain the card. You only gain after you buy. So at the time you are doing Herald’s overpay, that Herald is still in the Supply, not in your discard.

I am guessing the reason it didn’t let you topdeck something else is that there were no action cards in your discard pile; but can’t be sure.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Sparafucile

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 03:48:22 am »

There was definitely a Druid in my discard.   And herald can top deck any card.  Not just actions. 

I agree I shouldn’t have been able to top deck the just purchased Gerald.  But I Should have been able to top deck some other card ... :(

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:01:08 am »

In addition to what GendolIkari said, you cannot overpay for $0. In a hypothetical example where you have 5 Highways in play (everything costs $5 less, capped at $0 from below), it might be tempting to buy a Stonemason for $0, overpay for $0, and get 2 Highways (which cost $0 at the moment). But that is explicitly forbidden in the rules, you cannot overpay $0.

That means if you have only $5 available before buying Herald, you have 2 options: Don't overpay, or overpay exactly $1. That's why the slider couldn't be moved, $1 was the only legal option (besides not pressing the overpay button at all).

I'll try to recreate the situation and see what happens if your discard has cards (because of course you should have been able to topdeck a card, just not the bought-but-not-yet-gained Herald).

For bug reports like this, it is very helpful if the game number/id is given. It is listed at the top of the game log and in the chat window at the start of the game (it currently has 8 figures and starts with 28...). That allows me and others to look at the situation exactly as it happened, and find maybe the circumstances that the player forgot, or that there is actually a bug that only happens when the stars align just right.

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:56:07 am »

I did make a recreation as best as I could from the description: Game #28271967. On my turn 12 I got the described situation: $5, Haggler in play, some cards in the discard pile. I repeated the steps (buy Herald, overpay for $1). In my case, I got to put a card from my discard pile on top of my deck.

So it seems to work in general, but, as I said before, there might have been other circumstanes that I didn't recreate and it might have been a bug. Or, while focusing on the fact that you didn't get shown the Herald you expected, you may have misremembered about the non-empty discard pile. It may be either way, and I'd like to stress again my point above about the game number/id being very useful. There were a few rare bugs that I wouldn't have been able to diagnose if I couldn't play around with the exact situation they occured in.

Sparafucile

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:03:16 pm »

Hey.  That’s awesome thx for trying to repro.   :)    Now only the Dominion gods know what happened.  ;)

Sparafucile

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 12:05:55 pm »

Did ur repro test have changeling in the supply?   (With smart exchanges enabled for auto play options)?

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:17:14 pm »

Yes, I had Changeling and Druid, as you mentioned.

Sparafucile

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 02:30:28 pm »

Awesome.  Thx. 

Related clarification on rules (not what I originally tried)

If I have no discard pile, a haggler in play, and then purchase a herald ....

Should I be able to choose to gain a 3 cost card first (as per haggler) and then use the overpay mechanic on herald to put that new 3 cost card on top of my deck?   (Since both effects are on guy - I can choose the order yes ?)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 03:12:06 pm »
+2

Awesome.  Thx. 

Related clarification on rules (not what I originally tried)

If I have no discard pile, a haggler in play, and then purchase a herald ....

Should I be able to choose to gain a 3 cost card first (as per haggler) and then use the overpay mechanic on herald to put that new 3 cost card on top of my deck?   (Since both effects are on guy - I can choose the order yes ?)

Yes, you are correct.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.