Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lying Treasurer  (Read 2296 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Lying Treasurer
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:13 am »

What happens if you choose "trash a Treasure" with Treasurer and don't have any in hand?  Or say you don't have any in hand?  The official FAQ explicitly states you can choose to "take the Key" even if you already have it, but can you choose to "trash a Treasure" if you have none in hand?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Lying Treasurer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:49:15 am »
+1

You are allowed to choose impossible choices; see Torturer when Curses are empty. So it's simply an example of a card not having perfect accountability; same as Graverobber and first edition Throne Room.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:51:25 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »

I had wondered about that as well.  I noticed that on ShuffleiT there is an option to "do nothing" even if you don't already have the Key and there are Treasures both in the trash and your hand.  That seemed to be a minor mistake if each of the options is treated as mandatory once you've chosen it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:28:16 pm »

I had wondered about that as well.  I noticed that on ShuffleiT there is an option to "do nothing" even if you don't already have the Key and there are Treasures both in the trash and your hand.  That seemed to be a minor mistake if each of the options is treated as mandatory once you've chosen it.

Really? That's very odd; the card wording is quite clear that "do nothing" is not an option that you have. And accountability isn't even an issue online; if you choose "trash a treasure from your hand" then the game can force you to actually do it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 01:43:05 pm »

Really? That's very odd; the card wording is quite clear that "do nothing" is not an option that you have. And accountability isn't even an issue online; if you choose "trash a treasure from your hand" then the game can force you to actually do it.

I don't have the card myself, so I can't go back and check my memory, but from what I recall the interface shows all the treasures in the trash, highlights all the treasures in your hand, and has options for "Take the Key" and "Do Nothing" on the right.  If you already have the key then the "Take the Key" option is missing.  If you click on your hand it will trash that Treasure, and if you click on one in the trash it will gain it; you never explicitly choose one of the three options, so it's not clear which option you are passing up if you click Do Nothing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 02:35:32 pm »

I don't have the card myself, so I can't go back and check my memory, but from what I recall the interface shows all the treasures in the trash, highlights all the treasures in your hand, and has options for "Take the Key" and "Do Nothing" on the right.  If you already have the key then the "Take the Key" option is missing.  If you click on your hand it will trash that Treasure, and if you click on one in the trash it will gain it; you never explicitly choose one of the three options, so it's not clear which option you are passing up if you click Do Nothing.

Weird. Seems like it could just have what you describe, except that "do nothing" just replaces "take the Key" in situations when you already have the Key, and it isn't an option otherwise.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 03:34:34 pm »
+1

A quick test doesn't show the problem (opponent has key, Copper is in trash and I have some in hand; there is no "Do nothing" button).

Of course, it could be some special situation where it happens, but until then I'd consider misremembering the most plausible cause. A possible explanation would be that some Treasure that was once in the trash has been removed from it (Treasurer itself or some other card). Since the trash is usually not visible, it's easy to 'misremember' that there should be some Treasure in the trash.

As always, if anyone becomes aware of a problem during a game, it would be good to note down  the game id and post it here or on the Shuffle iT forums or the discord, with (at least) a minimal description what the problem is.  I and others will then most probably look at the game and find out what happened (may be a bug, or a rules misunderstanding or an interface problem).

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 04:29:53 pm »

A quick test doesn't show the problem (opponent has key, Copper is in trash and I have some in hand; there is no "Do nothing" button).

Of course, it could be some special situation where it happens, but until then I'd consider misremembering the most plausible cause. A possible explanation would be that some Treasure that was once in the trash has been removed from it (Treasurer itself or some other card). Since the trash is usually not visible, it's easy to 'misremember' that there should be some Treasure in the trash.

As always, if anyone becomes aware of a problem during a game, it would be good to note down  the game id and post it here or on the Shuffle iT forums or the discord, with (at least) a minimal description what the problem is.  I and others will then most probably look at the game and find out what happened (may be a bug, or a rules misunderstanding or an interface problem).

Thank you for checking.  Yes, misremembering seems to be the most likely explanation.  I'm glad it works properly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.