Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Event cards  (Read 1373 times)

Tsnow

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Event cards
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:54:34 am »

Just got the Adventures expansion set and am confused by the rules RE: the Event cards. Do these work similarly to Project cards, or are these intended to be one-off cards?

For example, if I purchase Pathfinding and place the +1 card token on Villager, I assume I get one extra card for every time i play Villager that turn. Does this carry over to future turns, or would i have to buy Pathfinding again?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Event cards
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 11:17:28 am »
+1

When you place a token on a pile, those tokens will never move unless you buy another event, or use Teacher, to make them move. So you will get the bonus for the chosen card for the rest of the game.

So in this way, the event cards that let you place a token on a pile are similar to projects, in that they give you a permanent bonus the rest of the game for buying them once. But most of the event cards in general are things that let you do something once, when you buy it, and then not again after that until you buy it again.

Also, since you can only buy Events during your buy phase, just like buying Cards, your thought about it only working for the rest of the turn doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you are using things from later expansions, you would never be able to buy Pathfinding and then play Village later on the same turn.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:22:10 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tsnow

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:16:22 pm »

Thanks for your explanation. My takeaway is that event cards continue to apply for the rest of the game unless otherwise specified.

With that in mind, let me clarify my example: if i purchase Pathfinding on one turn and place my token on Villager, I take it that Pathfinding will apply whenever I play Villager on any SUBSEQUENT turns for the rest of the game. Do I have that right?

Again, thx.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:21:45 pm »
+2

Thanks for your explanation. My takeaway is that event cards continue to apply for the rest of the game unless otherwise specified.

It's really the other way around. Event cards only do something once, when you first buy it. It just so happens that the thing that about 6 of the events card do is to give you a token that modifies the rest of the game. But most event cards are more like Bonfire. It does something when you buy it, but then after you finish trashing up to 2 cards you have in play, the fact that you bought a Bonfire never matters and the game doesn't remember or care if you did.

With that in mind, let me clarify my example: if i purchase Pathfinding on one turn and place my token on Villager, I take it that Pathfinding will apply whenever I play Villager on any SUBSEQUENT turns for the rest of the game. Do I have that right?

Again, thx.

Basically yes. Though it's not actually Pathfinding that is applying whenever you play a Village on any subsequent turn, but rather it is your +1 card token that is applying. The only effect that Pathfinding itself did was to place your token on the pile; the token being on the pile is then the thing that affects all subsequent turns for the rest of the game. The power to draw a card when you play a Village exists within the +1 card token, not within Pathfinding.

Also, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:22:58 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »
+1

OK. Ignore tokens and Pathfinding for a moment.

Take a look at Trade, which is a more straightforward Event.

When you buy Trade (which you may do during your Buy phase, using up 1 Buy and $5 of your spending money just like if you were buying a $5 Card) you immediately do what it says on the card: you trash up to 2 cards from your hand and gain a Silver per card you trashed. Once you have done that, you have finished buying Trade and you continue your turn. You've trashed some cards and gained some Silvers, but beyond that nothing "continues to apply for the rest of the game".

You can buy Trade again later (even later that very same turn, if you had at least two Buys and at least $10 to spend!). If you do, you get its effect again.

That's how Events work.

Now let's look at the "+1 Card" token. If that is on a Supply pile then, when you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card. That benefit lasts for as long as the +1 Card token remains on the Supply pile. You get the benefit because the token is there, regardless of how it got there.

That's how tokens work.

Now look at Pathfinding. But ignore the section in parentheses.

When you buy Pathfinding, you "Move your +1 Card token to an Action Supply pile." You do this immediately, and once you've done it, you've finished buying Pathfinding and continue your turn.

Pathfinding's effect is momentary and instantaneous, just like Trade's. If I tore up Pathfinding after you'd bought it, everything would continue unaffected, you just wouldn't be able to buy it again.

It may help to compare and contrast with Teacher. That's not an Event, it's a card in your deck, but it too can move your "+1 Card" token. The "+1 Card" token behaves identically regardless of whether you moved it using Teacher or Pathfinding.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:27:42 pm »
+1

I think the fact that the rules for the +1 card token are written on Pathfinding is part of the confusion. The stuff in parenthesis on Pathfinding is just a reminder though; it's not actually part of the effect of Pathfinding.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.