Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Debt - drawer  (Read 1913 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
A Debt - drawer
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:52:49 am »
+1

Cardname
Take 2D
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card per D you have
--
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile)
Night - Duration $3-3D

I came up with this card just off the top of my head. The obvious use for this is +5 cards at the start of your next turn, but you also start with 5D. Do you think it would be fun? What would be the right cost for this?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: A Debt - drawer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »

Cardname
Take 2D
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card per D you have
--
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile)
Night - Duration $3-3D

I came up with this card just off the top of my head. The obvious use for this is +5 cards at the start of your next turn, but you also start with 5D. Do you think it would be fun? What would be the right cost for this?

I'm not great at this sort of analysis, but comparing it to the Expedition and Mission Events might be a good place to start. Expedition because its in a way sets a benchmark for cost versus next turn draw at $3 to 2 cards. Mission because it in a way allows more draw but at the cost of not being able to buy cards.

Beyond that I can't help, but it would be nice to have some more control over how much Debt you take and thus how many cards you draw your next turn. Something like "Take up to 2D."

As it stands, I think I'd only buy this if the board favored trashing and gaining (i.e. boards that also favor Mission). But like Mission this could also be used to negate upcoming dud hands and cycle faster. So all-in-all I think it's probably useful, just not all the time. Would be a lot of fun with other Debt cards though.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 05:08:50 pm »

Looks too expensive ($3D3 is not that much "cheaper" than Den of Sin). If you buy another copy when you have one in your hand you might make these semi-oneshots work for some time but beyond the initial kick, 2D for +2 Cards is pretty weak and far less flexbile than Storyteller.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 07:03:45 pm »

Looks too expensive ($3D3 is not that much "cheaper" than Den of Sin). If you buy another copy when you have one in your hand you might make these semi-oneshots work for some time but beyond the initial kick, 2D for +2 Cards is pretty weak and far less flexbile than Storyteller.

These stack quite well though, if you play 2 to get 4 Debt they'll both give +4 cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 01:57:23 am »

These stack quite well though, if you play 2 to get 4 Debt they'll both give +4 cards.

That's sort of the advantage this would have over storyteller, is that it can stack. Do you think $2D3 would be better? Or maybe $3D2, though you would draw fewer cards in the absence of other debt cards.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 02:05:57 am »

I don't know if Asper's Scientist is balanced but if it is, then the 1D -> 2 Cards conversion would make the card, on regular play and if two collide, still slightly weaker than Scientist (due to Duration draw). But of course one cannot ignore that this draws 5 when you gain it, that is pretty powerful.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:13:59 am »

I don't know if Asper's Scientist is balanced but if it is, then the 1D -> 2 Cards conversion would make the card, on regular play and if two collide, still slightly weaker than Scientist (due to Duration draw). But of course one cannot ignore that this draws 5 when you gain it, that is pretty powerful.

And scientist doesnt stack, while this card does. Three of these would get you +18 cards with D6, which might actually be too much now that I think about it.

I could do "Take D until you have 3D" and give it a flat +3 cards/play.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 02:25:12 am »
+1

And scientist doesnt stack, while this card does. Three of these would get you +18 cards with D6, which might actually be too much now that I think about it.

I don't think that the case in which you have 3 or more non-Caravan Duration drawers in hand is very likely.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 10:48:41 am »

That sounds less interesting, I would prefer your original card. It could be somewhat crazy in multiples, but to have three in hand per turn you'll need to have at least six copies in yoir deck due to them being Durations. Since you can only buy one copy per turn if you want to get the starting +5 cards that's not so easy to do.

If you can afford never buying anything, your original card allows an arbitrarily large golden deck if you just pile up debt to draw your deck every turn. That also sounds like fun if it doesn't happen too easily... :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:51:52 am by Holger »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.