Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Son of Size Distortion  (Read 2973 times)

bazkitcase5

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Son of Size Distortion
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:01:42 pm »
+1

My friend and I were playing this suggested set the other day and came up with several combinations that had me curious.  We generally like talking about the different strategies to help learn on the different sets we play, but we don't like to play the same sets over and over again, so I figured I would post here to get input from some of the better players.

This set is Amulet, Duplicate, Moneylender, Gardens, Bureaucrat, Messenger, Witch, Giant, Bandit, Treasure Trove - Events: Bonfire and Raid

My friend basically went Moneylender and a handful of Treasure Troves.  The good attacking cards did not seem like they could keep up with with no sifting/extra action cards in this set.

I attempted a Messenger/Gardens/Treasure Trove type strategy.  Even though I was giving him Gardens too due to Messenger, I bought a couple to make sure I won the race and was hoping it would slow him down a little.  Unfortunately I was not able to 3 pile end it fast enough and he won the game, but it was fairly close.  It was close enough that I felt like my strategy could have competed had I not made an early mistake (buying a single amulet with my opening turn instead of just grabbing a silver, which I felt like caused me to take too long acquiring my first Treasure Trove)

Neither of us tried it, but it also seemed like grabbing a lot of duplicates and trying for a big late Garden/Duchy swing might have worked.  So does anybody else have experiences or good combos they like from this set?  or any other more advanced insight to offer to a player still learning?

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Size Distortion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:11:45 pm »
+3

Because all of the actions are terminal, there aren't too many synergies to take advantage of.  I prefer going after Provinces; none of the Gardens enablers are strong enough to compete.  My preferred build off the 3/4 is to use one Amulet and three Bonfires to get to a 5-card hand*, then build up with Treasure Trove, Bandit, and Gold, in that order.  From there (starting turn 9 or 10), Province or Duchy.  Usually Witch is dominant, but in my tests against the AI on dominion.games, Bandit seemed to perform better, surprisingly.  This strategy can reach 8 Provinces decently quickly (~turn 17-21), so I don't think a Gardens approach has a chance.

*To get to a 5-card hand, open Amulet + Bonfire, and plan to Bonfire two more times over the next three turns.  However, you don't want to Bonfire a third time until you have a Silver (either purchased or gained via Amulet).  Amulet should usually trash Estates, but look for opportunities to give +coin for Bonfire #2, or Silver to enable Bonfire #3.  With best case draws, I can get to a functional 5-card hand on turn 5 (Amulet, Silver, Copper, Estate x2).  From there, you can buy Treasure Trove on turn 6 and Bandit on turn 7.  The usual case is one turn slower.  Use Amulet to clean up your last Copper.  Once I start greening, I use Amulet for coin to hit $8 or Silver otherwise.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:41:04 pm »

The gardener can slow down the provincer by sending (early) Estates or (later) Coppers (Curses?) via Messenger buys. It's probably not enough though.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:46:07 am »

The gardener can slow down the provincer by sending (early) Estates or (later) Coppers (Curses?) via Messenger buys. It's probably not enough though.

How about getting Messenger with Messenger? The garden player will have to worry less about colliding terminals and clears a pile swiftly.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 11:10:42 am »

Why is this in Dominion Articles?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »
+1

Why is this in Dominion Articles?

Because it's the poster's first post. A new user isn't going to be as familiar with which subforums are used for what.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

bazkitcase5

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:44:47 pm »

Yes, sorry about that - I thought I was in the right section for strategy discussion - feel free to move it where it belongs

thanks for those who contributed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.