Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bishop is underrated  (Read 2295 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Bishop is underrated
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:59 pm »

I still can't understand why Bishop keeps going down in Qvist's ratings. The reason it gives a benefit to your opponent is because it's effect is really strong.
Then again, I think it was especially strong on this board, where I had enlightened* Minions, so I could trash a card with Bishop and then draw a new hand a lot of times. My opponent went for Castles, so he had to deal with a bunch of dead cards in his deck, while with Bishop, you can trash all the extra cards and still get VP for them. Using Bishop to trash Crumbling Castle, Sprawling Castle, and the Duchy gained with Sprawling Castle is fun. (Those were the only two castles I bought. My opponent got the rest.)
(*a word which here means my Minions learned Lost Arts)

Wish I could post the game log.
game #26087873
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:44:03 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop is underrated
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:59:16 pm »

Going down in the rankings doesn't mean it's useless. It's just a payload card first and a trashed second, and as payload it's often kind of cumbersome.

Being ranked relatively low in the Qvist list doesn't mean the card can't be the difference maker in a kingdom. It just means it usually isn't, which is the case with Bishop.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:07 am »
+1

In the stats markus has collected from high-level players on dominion.games, Bishop is gained by the winner in 49% of games in which it appears, but it still seems to be overgained (the loser gains it more often).  It's not a bad card, though.  There are a large minority of games where it's part of the optimal payload.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:10 am »

enlightened* Minions

Would your described tactic not have worked better with enlightened Bishops? That way no Action is terminal.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:29:31 pm »
+3

The trashing is basically neutral, because it gives you and your opponents the same benefit. So Bishop largely reads:

+
+
Maybe some more + (often 0 or 1).

Given that, it looks like a slightly weaker Monument most of the time, but with more potential for cool stuff like Province and Gold trashing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:40:59 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:08 pm »
+3

The trashing is basically neutral, because it gives you and your opponents the same benefit. So Bishop largely reads:

+
+

Given that, it looks like a slightly weaker Monument most of the time, but with more potential for cool stuff like Province and Gold trashing.

Well, that's what it reads if you play it as though it was a trasher. You can get that third line to be a lot stronger if you play it better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »

enlightened* Minions

Would your described tactic not have worked better with enlightened Bishops? That way no Action is terminal.
Probably either way would've worked. I put it on Minion because I had more Minions at the time I bought Lost Arts.

+
+

Well, that's what it reads if you play it as though it was a trasher. You can get that third line to be a lot stronger if you play it better.
(Not something I say often, but) Awaclus is totally right. Bishop isn't primarily a trasher. Bishop is a victory token collector. With any gainer, Bishop will quite often give more than 2 victory tokens.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:08:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.